Rumored RIZIN and K-1 to co-promote for NYE. Plus, RENA is back!

I don't think he'll do it

If he wasn't going to with Mac he def wouldnt with Tenshin
He probably feels Tenshin is an easier fight, and that he would for sure not take it to the ground.

Supposing that is the case, he isn't aware of the Japanese double cross (re: Mercer/Bonjansky).

Did they say that the rest of the card will be announced this week or early next week ?

Did they say that the rest of the card will be announced this week or early next week ?

Yes. PR translator lady didn't sound too sure.

I am guessing the rest of the card will be stronger than the shit Golden Boy Promotions is subjecting viewers too ...which isn't hard to do.

Yes. PR translator lady didn't sound too sure.

I am guessing the rest of the card will be stronger than the shit Golden Boy Promotions is subjecting viewers too ...which isn't hard to do.
It appears to have Horiguchi, Hamasaki, three Asakuras, Yachi, Kawajiri, Cruickshank

It appears to have Horiguchi, Hamasaki, three Asakuras, Yachi, Kawajiri, Cruickshank

Which is the same old stuff on a Rizin card. I understand they need filler, but honestly it's like eating meat loaf every day.

I imagine we're going to see fighters tripping over themselves to be a part of this event.

He probably feels Tenshin is an easier fight, and that he would for sure not take it to the ground.

Supposing that is the case, he isn't aware of the Japanese double cross (re: Mercer/Bonjansky).
I just can't buy that. Little upside for Rizin cos if it happens and Tenshin wins, he will immediately get poached by ufc or one. it'll be a shortsighted one time cash grab without a follow up plan.

Biz wise, i think it'll be better for Tenshin to go into boxing (ie make money) as a crossover combat sports star exclusive to Japan. Even if he loses to May, the local market will get hotter and tenshin gets paid more in the long run cos of the increased interest

Japan's most infuential matches have always made the japanese guy look stupid (Inoki/Ali) or have the japanese guy look like shit (Rickson's japan fights). These fights however triggered years and years of popularity

Which is the same old stuff on a Rizin card. I understand they need filler, but honestly it's like eating meat loaf every day.

I imagine we're going to see fighters tripping over themselves to be a part of this event.
K1 has to be dying to get in on this

Fucking Takeru looks like an idiot now

I just can't buy that. Little upside for Rizin cos if it happens and Tenshin wins, he will immediately get poached by ufc or one. it'll be a shortsighted one time cash grab without a follow up plan.

Biz wise, i think it'll be better for Tenshin to go into boxing (ie make money) as a crossover combat sports star exclusive to Japan. Even if he loses to May, the local market will get hotter and tenshin gets paid more in the long run cos of the increased interest

Japan's most infuential matches have always made the japanese guy look stupid (Inoki/Ali) or have the japanese guy look like shit (Rickson's japan fights). These fights however triggered years and years of popularity
Zero percent chance Tenshin goes to the UFC. Not to mention his weight class probably won't exist there in the near future. ONE is a possibility, but they're not going to pay him nearly as much as RIZIN. All of his fights in RIZIN are in Japan. He's a huge asset there. ONE hasn't even had a card in Japan yet, and only has one card scheduled at present. The move would make no sense for his star power.

Some of the rest of your post makes some sense, but Inoki didn't look stupid, he looked brilliant, and was the actual deathknell for Ali's career, having fucked up Ali's legs so much that they were never the same.

Zero percent chance Tenshin goes to the UFC. Not to mention his weight class probably won't exist there in the near future. ONE is a possibility, but they're not going to pay him nearly as much as RIZIN. All of his fights in RIZIN are in Japan. He's a huge asset there. ONE hasn't even had a card in Japan yet, and only has one card scheduled at present. The move would make no sense for his star power.

Some of the rest of your post makes some sense, but Inoki didn't look stupid, he looked brilliant, and was the actual deathknell for Ali's career, having fucked up Ali's legs so much that they were never the same.

satoshi_ishii_3.jpg

I also don't see him signing with UFC, ever, but the chances of it happening are higher than 0%

Tenshin vs. Mayweather is an insane fight. Imagine if Tenshin can pull this off.

I think Dana would be much more interested in tenshin. More exciting than DJ and more popular in a big market (Japan) than DJ is in US.

One probably has more money than Rizin despite being a shitty promotion. Getting Tenshin exclusively would be a gamechanger to enter the market. I don't think there's any other Japanese kickfighter right now with his popularity excl Takeru.

Inoki looked stupid on his back. Even as a pro wrestler he never did that. The match was silly looking even by pro wrestling standards (Takada pro wrestled boxers too and it looked more K1 ish). Point is in Japan it's stupid shit like this that gets popular, very little to do with who wins, does damage etc.

satoshi_ishii_3.jpg

I also don't see him signing with UFC, ever, but the chances of it happening are higher than 0%
He's too valuable to JMMA. If he were to leave Japan, unless it is to ONE, which is better than a 0% chance, he won't be leaving for a long time. I don't even see him leaving for ONE. RIZIN will pay him handsomely, and his star will continue to rise. It just wouldn't make sense for him to leave. He's already hot shit.

I think Dana would be much more interested in tenshin. More exciting than DJ and more popular in a big market (Japan) than DJ is in US.

One probably has more money than Rizin despite being a shitty promotion. Getting Tenshin exclusively would be a gamechanger to enter the market. I don't think there's any other Japanese kickfighter right now with his popularity excl Takeru.

Inoki looked stupid on his back. Even as a pro wrestler he never did that. The match was silly looking even by pro wrestling standards (Takada pro wrestled boxers too and it looked more K1 ish). Point is in Japan it's stupid shit like this that gets popular, very little to do with who wins, does damage etc.
ONE certainly is seemingly deeper with their pockets, but if RIZIN just came to some agreement with Floyd, they've got some money to throw around. They've got eyes on them too, and Tenshin on a card in Thailand already has a storyline. I just don't see him leaving, especially after the news today. This Floyd thing will put his name out there more than anything else ever could. I guess, thinking about it, if he has a name in the world then maybe he could look to branch out and go elsewhere, but I don't think he'd get the love in other places that he does in Japan, and sticking around would be a safe bet to continue being a star. If he were to leave and fight for ONE and beat some bigtime MT stars in Thailand, I suppose he would get a ton of love for it, kinda like Dave Leduc beating lethwei fighters in neighboring Myanmar, who is royalty there now.

I'm really hoping this takes off and Japan awakens it's interest in fight sports and it goes super mainstream

A number of years back, pro wrestling in japan was on the verge of death and because of a few young guys, became super popular again. NJPW is really popular in Japan now.

If Rizin can get to that Pride/K1 heyday level again, it means we're gonna see new guys getting noticed and new legends getting made.

Japan gave us a ton of amazing fighters who'd we never see if not for that platform - Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop, Saku, Gomi, Wandy, Masato, Buakaw, Souwer, Hoost, Aerts, Badr Hari etc - we only know these guys cos the Japanese were interested and organised events to showcase these guys to the local japanese

Remember all that shit started with Rickson v Takada, which was a ridiculous fight which Takada could never win.

Pls dammit let history repeat itself

ONE certainly is seemingly deeper with their pockets, but if RIZIN just came to some agreement with Floyd, they've got some money to throw around. They've got eyes on them too, and Tenshin on a card in Thailand already has a storyline. I just don't see him leaving, especially after the news today. This Floyd thing will put his name out there more than anything else ever could. I guess, thinking about it, if he has a name in the world then maybe he could look to branch out and go elsewhere, but I don't think he'd get the love in other places that he does in Japan, and sticking around would be a safe bet to continue being a star. If he were to leave and fight for ONE and beat some bigtime MT stars in Thailand, I suppose he would get a ton of love for it, kinda like Dave Leduc beating lethwei fighters in neighboring Myanmar, who is royalty there now.

I think it's more to do with also knowing that Japan loves Japan first. If there isn't a Japanese superstar... interest in all fightsports dies like it did those years between Dream and Rizin.

Back