Rival RS2V Sparring Glove (Canadian)

StRatoCastR

Gear Tester/Reviewer
@Brown
Reaction score
[YT]RVUs2RVrXkc[/YT]

Good Evening everyone, here we are on a Sunday reading and in my case writing some reviews! Last time I reviewed a Rival glove I gave it two thumbs up and I said I had more on the way, some people were more interested on how a sparring from Rival Performed, and so was I. Needless to say I got a pair in Red from Wes over at Titleboxing because they were on sale.

The Look:

Rival always holding true wouldn't be complete unless it had Tribal graphics. These gloves are Full leather construction, comes complete with a Dual Velcro wrist closure which looks meek at 1st. It is angled at 15 degrees, so that in principle it allows for max wrist support. It also comes with 1.6 inches of nice soft padding.

The gloves are a dullish type red, they aren't super shiny but rather a flat red. All the graphics are printed on, all of them look good, no stray markings, no frayed stitching. All the highlight areas of the glove are in white, so it makes a nice two tone glove if you can get past the graphics themselves.

The thumb is short and fat, so just looking at this glove people with long thumbs may want to stay away because the thumbs aren't long at all.

The Feel:

Where the RB-11 was a minimal type glove these gloves are a bit light and pillowy. The foam feels evenly distributed on the glove but they do look a tad big. The liner is soft and is much nicer than the RB-11s liner. The Wrist once secured properly does feel nice but it is a bit awkward, and I don't know if you can really get used to it. It more like you need to deal with it, because getting the 1st glove on is fine, its when you need to put the 2nd one on that it becomes an issue. With the dual Velcro closure, and small ones at that, it just is hard to manage with one glove, it is best if you work in pairs. I know some people are like they are sparring gloves you should have help. Some people do like to use sparring gloves for bag work because they prefer the padding.

That being said I think the thumbs will accommodate most as they are wide! But they aren't too long so again the guys with super long thumbs STAY AWAY! I try to paint my reviews in black and white and most people listen but some still chance it. You heard it from me, these gloves like the RB-11s will not accommodate larger hands.

The Wrist while awkward does work and the cuff unlike MOST gloves WILL sit flush. Those with smaller forearms will really appreciate these gloves because they will cinch up nicely and you wont feel like a little kid in adult gloves anymore.

The gloves come in semi broken in so right off the bat you don't need to log in rounds to break the glove in, it should come naturally so you can jump straight into sparring.
The hand opens most of the way, and it closes and clinches into a really nice fist.

The gloves get a tad warm, so for heavy hand sweaters, be aware!

Padding/Performance:

Man I love the padding to these gloves, they are honestly one of these best gloves to spar with. They absorb a lot of shock, they are kind to your sparring partner and they protect the fist wonderfully.

That being said, im not sure how long these gloves will last on the bag, I think similar to boon that if you did a lot of bag work using these gloves the foam will smush down quickly and youll wind up with dead gloves. If you simply use them for sparring only I can see these gloves lasting hundreds of rounds. But like anything else the hardest things on gloves is the heavy bag, so use with caution if doing bag work.

The foam itself does absorb everything you can throw at it, and it doesn't bottom out, so these gloves really are a gem.

Weight:

Available in 12-18oz
I got these in 16oz, they came in each at 15.8oz

Price:

$119.99, however i would wait for a sale.

I got mine at around 80 and they are definitely worth that.

Overall:

Said it before and Ill say it again. Don't judge a book by its cover, rival really does offer good products, sure the tribal may be off putting to some but just look past that, give them a try and i promise you wont be disappointed. Those living in Canada looking for a great product, look no further you already have Rival.

Score:
A- / 91%

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited:
fjki.jpg

jwl6.jpg

6rxn.jpg

Last edited:
I borrowed those from my friend for a week, only did mitts and bag work with it but I really liked them.

I've liked all my gloves from Rival so far. Definitely the best Canadian brand. WAYYYY better than POS top ten that feels like I have a concussion as soon as I put their headgear on.

ouch sounds like a nasty trial tank, i haven't tried rival headgear yet so i wont vouche for it just yet if i haven't personally tested it myself. But the gloves, mitts, and boots are amazing imo.

ouch sounds like a nasty trial tank, i haven't tried rival headgear yet so i wont vouche for it just yet if i haven't personally tested it myself. But the gloves, mitts, and boots are amazing imo.

yeah dont waste your time with top ten garbage, the old gym i used to go to is sponsored by them, we got a fuck load of defective boxing boots from them for 20$ each instead of 120$ cuz the heels were peeling off out of the box lol. and their gloves are like rocks.

Yeah I love rival, I really wanna get some mitts from them but they are pricy. Met a guy who says he gets 50% off all rival products waiting to see if its legit

Not sure how you can say these have good wrist support my man. I got the chance to have a play with these the other day. Nice gloves in other areas though as pointed out, the padding especially.

Good review as always

Another solid review Strat. You are starting to sell me on trying a pair of Rival gloves!!!!

Not sure how you can say these have good wrist support my man. I got the chance to have a play with these the other day. Nice gloves in other areas though as pointed out, the padding especially.

Good review as always

Its something you have to play with mino, like with all rival gloves it seems, its hard to get going on the 1st go. Its not like Hayabusa where you can get it right all the time, everytime.

It seems like a common flavor with rival because the strapping is so thin, its really easy to over/undershoot it. I went into great detail on my RB-11 vid which is why i didn't take the time to do it here but i may make a mini clip and show how its done using the RSV, but thanks for bringing it up bro. I don't take offense but i definitely should have been a lot more clear.

Sorry but I'm also going to have to disagree about the wrist. I had a pair of these as my main sparring gloves a while back, hand protection was excellent, but I thought the wrist was just a gimmick, it felt snug when on but I found it didn't actually prevent movement.

The reason I eventually got rid was the thumb, but my hands are probably on the larger side.

Definitely the best Canadian brand. WAYYYY better than POS top ten that feels like I have a concussion as soon as I put their headgear on.

I think that's the first negative comment I've seen about Top Ten's headgear. I've only worn the avantgarde model for a few rounds of sparring when I forgot my own, but I loved it, very light and comfortable, absorbed shots well too. I'll admit the construction won't be for everyone, especially when you're used to a nice soft liner, but for club use they're pretty unbeatable IMO.

Sorry but I'm also going to have to disagree about the wrist. I had a pair of these as my main sparring gloves a while back, hand protection was excellent, but I thought the wrist was just a gimmick, it felt snug when on but I found it didn't actually prevent movement.

The reason I eventually got rid was the thumb, but my hands are probably on the larger side.

if you have large hands in a smaller glove your hands wont sit in the correct place, same goes for wearing a larger glove on smaller hands. That's why I always outline and warn people about how gloves truly fit. The key to ensuring gloves actually working is getting a properly fitted glove.

Ill make a short clip today or tomorrow on the wrist that way it will outline it since it is becoming a hot topic

Last edited:
do they good for mitts work and bag work as well ?

Read the part of the review where he talks about the Padding. It will answer all of your questions.

Yeah at times I wonder if Im wasting time still typing up reviews, well I know TM99 reads them atleast!

Its something you have to play with mino, like with all rival gloves it seems, its hard to get going on the 1st go. Its not like Hayabusa where you can get it right all the time, everytime.

I'm not really concerned with the strapping, and any closure mechanism on a glove whether it be lace-up or dual strap or just your standard velcro is dependent on the actual padding around the cuff for the wrist support, which does not seem to be something Rival as a company understands.

it felt snug when on but I found it didn't actually prevent movement.
This was my experience as well.

Have I done a review on these? I'm not sure. I think so. Anyway, the velcro system is absolutely horrible and unnecessary. One velcro would have been enough. The 2nd one on top I didn't really get, really pointless. It didn't add anything except annoy me.

The padding is nice, but it's somewhat on the cheap side, it will "flatten" over time, they will not absorb a lot of energy after a while.

The quality is decent, the wrist support is nice. They are a bit bulky (especially the top). Excellent for sparring, for bag work I find them too bulky like I said but it's a good workout on the bag if nothing else. Can't really focus on technique or speed.

Overall they're decent gloves. Overpriced at 100+ bucks. At 70 bucks it's a good deal. There are way better options if you want to spend more.

^solid point about these being top heavy

Yeah at times I wonder if Im wasting time still typing up reviews, well I know TM99 reads them atleast!

It's why I don't bother writing a positive vs. negative overview at the end anymore, just a sort of very brief summation or final thought. I think people just read that and nothing else. I figure if someone's interested in buying the product, or learning about it, they can read the review to see everything in the proper context, and if they don't want to read all of it then the review's not for them anyway. That said I don't watch the videos because I'd just rather read it personally

I read every word my friend...lol. I figure if you took the time to write...then the least I can do is read it. Keep them coming!!!!

My two cents as a Canadian: Rival is often the main brand of equipment i see in boxing gyms around here and it's often tempting to just order gear from them. However there's just 2 things I can't bring myself to accept and that's the look and price of the gloves. Id rather save a few more bucks for Reyes or go with gorilla. I also am not a fan of these angular wrist closures I feel like they really are a gimmick along with the d30 stuff.

All that being said I use rival headgear and highly recommend their headgear selection. Their prices for these items are also much more reasonable in my opinion. I use the mexican style headgear and it was only 70 bucks. Been serving me well.

Back