Rival RB10-d3o Bag Gloves

Excellent update, I was especially disappointed to read about the wrist issues and the drying/smell.

I agree with you that hand wrapping is massively underestimated for hand protection.

I don't know how many reviews I've read about gloves where the reviewer says "I don't wear wraps with these........". It's always a facepalm followed by the realization that the review at that point has become almost entirely useless.

for the record, the Winning VL-A wraps (90 inch) are the best I've ever used.

Thanks again!

Thanks bud! Funny thing is I have those handwraps and never tried them yet. :icon_lol:
They came with the Winning gear (for free). I only have one pair of those so I'm a little hesitant to use them for my normal training because I feel like they might not last very long but we will see. I will try them this week.

Thanks bud! Funny thing is I have those handwraps and never tried them yet. :icon_lol:
They came with the Winning gear (for free). I only have one pair of those so I'm a little hesitant to use them for my normal training because I feel like they might not last very long but we will see. I will try them this week.

Nice, they always send me the VL-B wraps (the guaze like ones) and I hate them. They are super light and breathable but they get twisted everywhere and are really awkward to put on. Wish they made mexican style semi-elastic wraps.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of those cotton handwraps. I can't put them on properly because they don't stretch, so they're either too lose or too tight. Plus the cotton is too rough for my hands, I always find myself bleeding a bit over my knuckles after training. I have the mexican style (VL-B) as well and I dig them. They're a bit too long and too thin but they feel really good.

Could you elaborate on why the shorter wraps solved your knuckle issue? I always read one should use the 180 wraps. I'll be visiting the winning show room in a week and I might pick up the shorter wraps!

I think that with longer wraps you're basically just punching into a bunch of layers of cotton or whatever your wraps are made of. And that material doesn't absorb any energy, it doesn't give in. I'd much rather not have any wraps over my knuckles and punch directly into the soft padding of a glove. The wraps hold the bones together, to me that's all they do and that's why you should wear your wraps. But personally I feel like the less I wrap over my knuckles the less pain I have. Instead I focus on wrapping the back of my hand and my wrist which is the most important thing. I put like 2-3 layers over my knuckles but that's about it, it's almost nothing.

I think that with longer wraps you're basically just punching into a bunch of layers of cotton or whatever your wraps are made of. And that material doesn't absorb any energy, it doesn't give in. I'd much rather not have any wraps over my knuckles and punch directly into the soft padding of a glove. The wraps hold the bones together, to me that's all they do and that's why you should wear your wraps. But personally I feel like the less I wrap over my knuckles the less pain I have. Instead I focus on wrapping the back of my hand and my wrist which is the most important thing. I put like 2-3 layers over my knuckles but that's about it, it's almost nothing.

I agree 100% with this. Wrapping is 90% about protecting the alignment of the hand bones and providing wrist support. The 2-3 layers of knuckle wrap is mostly about protecting the skin from cuts and abrasions.

I often wrap more times around the thumb than the knuckles (especially when sparring).

Interesting... I'm always trying to figure out what to do with my extra length since I only wrap around the knuckles once or twice just to secure my knuckle pads. Wouldn't hurt to try out some short wraps! Thanks guys!

Interesting... I'm always trying to figure out what to do with my extra length since I only wrap around the knuckles once or twice just to secure my knuckle pads. Wouldn't hurt to try out some short wraps! Thanks guys!

If your wearing 180's and wrapping the knuckles fairly light I suggest using the extra wrap for another 7-8 turns around the wrsit (I go from wrist to the lower middle of the forearm and make a cast out of that sucker) I also do an extra 5-6 turns around the X-wrap (diagonally across the front and back of the hand).

Doing this minimizes the "bulk" of the wrap so you can still get your gloves on easily, but also gives you a ton of protection. It's funny when you see people doing a dozen wraps around the knuckle, half a dozen on the wrist and almost none on the fist itself or the thumb.

If you really need that much knuckle protection either buy a knuckle guard or get some better gloves IMO.

Back