Economy Rising food, rent costs eat into young professionals' disposable income

I guess it’s time to normalize co-habitation with the parents; since it’s obvious that’s where it’s heading.

The homeless situation in the next few decades is going to be something else.

Powell just said Americans are cutting back on food. No recession tho.

I mean most Americans could stand to lose 20 to 30 pounds.

I can do a food prep post with prices if anyone in interested. I prep on Sundays. I'll also list prices and break down each meal.
I know it's not exciting food but you get use to it.
cook when hungry, only one meal a day, no prep required ;)

I mean most Americans could stand to lose 20 to 30 pounds.
I remember a few years back when the media, TV used promoted either healthy eating or a healthy lifestyle and exercises.
Not anymore sadly.

6 of every 7 days I'll eat one decent sized meal a day between 3pm and 6pm - chicken/turkey, grains, vegetables, fruit and yoghurt for desert. Only other thing I have between that is cups of tea while I'm working. Not eating multiple times a day becomes really easy and I don't seem feel any worse for the lower amount of calories - if anything I feel more energised and I don't get that post-lunch slump I used to get.

If I'm sensible I can easily live on £30 a week, it's the munchies that fucks me over and gives me the horrible hunger pangs all of Monday...

Whats this? Groceries are expensive? You mean my mom was right?

and how our dictator trudy is reducing canada's food production to fight climate change .... regardless of food prices or potential famine

Imagine being a grown adult and realizing paying bills cuts into your income for the first time in your life.

Stop buying the latest phone and car. It’s easy if you stop wasting your money.

I'm in Halifax and I got one from TD. I had to tell them I would move my Mortgage if they didn't allow it to go 10 years though since they were my original lender. They tried very hard to talk me out of it and explain all the reasons a 10 year would be foolish and I ended up arguing a while and then just saying "ok, thanks, ill speak with my broker about looking elsewhere because i want a 10 and long term security" and they caved.

When I bought the house, my rate was 2.5% for $1150 a month or so. I juggled it a bit between 2015 and 2021, but when the time came here I knew what i was going to do. the best rate i could get on a 10 year was 2.95% so my payment went up to $1200 a month. but now I know I will be paying that for the next 9 years(wow, a year has gone by since i made this decision lol)

We had a brief discussion about it in the lounge in July 2021.
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/165381363/

Anyways, I pay near $1200 a month until July 2031 for my 3 bedroom 3 level house with a finished basement so i am happy as a pig in shit. A 2 bedroom apartment in Halifax used to go for $1250 a month back when i rented and my kids were still in a crib so even then it was obvious I needed to get a house. Now the same 2 Bedroom apartment costs $2100

Look at this shit. And some of this shit is on gottingen street. Which Haligonians not so affectionately refer to as "GottaGetAGun" street for a good reason.
https://rentals.ca/halifax
Good call on inflation and JT being a fool
Good decision on the house too. In 9 years 1200 is going to look like 600.
Btw my mortgage is 1.2% fixed. If I weren’t a foreigner I could have gotten as low as .65%

Food amd gas prices have really eaten into my income. I have far less extra money like I used to have.

There will be megacities built basically functioning as mass subsidized housing. There is a lot of money to be made by certain interest groups from this.

Well, folks today are a little more attached to their luxuries too and feel entitled to them.

And yes, a smartphone, Ps5, daily latte with expresso, gas guzzling truck instead of economy car, high speed internet instead of the economy plan, weed, smokes, alcohol.....ARE LUXURIES

During a conversation with a bud who asked how to save money, I calculated that he could have saved him over $500 a month if he just quit drinking and smoking weed and going to the clubs. But he acted like life would not be worth living if he had to give those up.

And don't get me started on trying to talk him into trading in his gas guzzling truck for a small car. You would think I was telling him to cut his nuts off

How does someone not being good with money change the fact that the rise in wages from the 70s to now hasn't remotely kept up with inflation? Yes, buying a home is significantly more difficult now than it was in the 70s, but hey, those damn millennials love their expresso so its really their fault!

Imagine being so stupid you think this is the issue.
It is though. We're all facing the same costs. Perhaps you grew up more privileged than I to expect "disposable income" when you're paying rent and buying your own food. This is how it is and always has been. Shit is expensive. Thats why we don't all live on tropical islands bathing in our "disposable income."

How does someone not being good with money change the fact that the rise in wages from the 70s to now hasn't remotely kept up with inflation? Yes, buying a home is significantly more difficult now than it was in the 70s, but hey, those damn millennials love their expresso so its really their fault!
It doesn't.
But
They could save money by cutting luxuries and going back to a 1970's lifestyle

Back