Rise of the Haymaker Champion

youre only calling them haymaker champion after a black guy did it. your ass would be silent if robbie won by haymaker
We call it like we see it, buddy. Keep playing that race card garbage. JDS was a haymaker champion as well

More like champions who landed well placed and timed shots. Champions tend to win fights by taking advantage of openings/weaknesses, GSP did this all the time and so did Anderson. These champions are doing the same thing overall, but with more spectacular conclusions for the most part.

Well, what I also feel is that none of those five guys are really the best fighter in the division. They have taken advantage of being in the right place at the right time and each of them landed a great shot... but in each of the divisions, I could pick at least one guy who I'd make the favourite to beat them - and if each of them fought a rematch with the champ they dethroned, I wouldn't neccessarily have them as favourite.

Honestly wondering if TS watched any of those 4 title fights. If anything they won because their opponent was wild, not because they were.

every racist guy denies its about race. fact is you made this thread after a black guy did it. you never bothered to bring this up before even though lawler is a haymaker champ too.

I get that you are probably trolling, but this is ridiculous. Lawler wasn't a dominant champ by any means, but most of his fights went five rounds, so he wasn't a haymaker champ exactly. What I'm talking about is guys just blowing the champion out with one big shot in the first round. Daniel Cormier, Anderson Silva and Jon Jones would all be the antithesis to that kind of champion. If Rumble had taken out DC with that big shot in the first round of their fight he would have been the embodiment of that kind of champ, though.

Honestly wondering if TS watched any of those 4 title fights. If anything they won because their opponent was wild, not because they were.

Good point: Werdum and Aldo were wild. However, Lawler was just a bit passive and Rockhold seemed cocky. I can't recall the exact details of the RDA ko. Still, the point stands that each of those fights might well have a very different outcome in a rematch.

Well, what I also feel is that none of those five guys are really the best fighter in the division. They have taken advantage of being in the right place at the right time and each of them landed a great shot... but in each of the divisions, I could pick at least one guy who I'd make the favourite to beat them - and if each of them fought a rematch with the champ they dethroned, I wouldn't neccessarily have them as favourite.
I understand you sentiment, but your statement just seems to simplistic. That's a lot of "S" words, sorry. Anyways that's the nature of the sport and part of what makes it so exciting. All of the recent contenders had a great shot at beating the champions they beat, and many were picked to do exactly what they did. (Minus Bisping, I don't recall anyone picking him by first round KO via left hook)

Woodley, McGregor, Miocic, Bisping... edit: might as well add Alvarez too.

It looks like there is a new breed in town once again. Strange for those of us who grew up watching Anderson and GSP dominate their opponents.

View attachment 124985

I hate to attribute it to one thing but whatever. In MMA there are so many ways to lose. It seemed like the prevailing UFC fighting culture, for a time, revolved around avoiding "round robbing" takedowns. Fighters square up their stance in anticipation of these things. Times change and now said stance sets fighters up for punch vulnerabilities. Now we are seeing a resurgence of Dempsey 1920s boxing.

Fighting isn't like a video game and there are a thousand factors to consider, so yeah, shit will happen.

I get that you are probably trolling, but this is ridiculous. Lawler wasn't a dominant champ by any means, but most of his fights went five rounds, so he wasn't a haymaker champ exactly. What I'm talking about is guys just blowing the champion out with one big shot in the first round. Daniel Cormier, Anderson Silva and Jon Jones would all be the antithesis to that kind of champion. If Rumble had taken out DC with that big shot in the first round of their fight he would have been the embodiment of that kind of champ, though.

so the embodiment of that kind of champ is another black guy like rumble. come on man this isnt even subtle anymore. clearly racist.

It was NOT a haymaker. Just a good hard punch on a proven weak chin.

Back