Rise of the Haymaker Champion

Vergilius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Woodley, McGregor, Miocic, Bisping... edit: might as well add Alvarez too.

It looks like there is a new breed in town once again. Strange for those of us who grew up watching Anderson and GSP dominate their opponents.

Bisping-KO.png

Last edited:
In Woodley's defense, he set it up very nicely with the feint/fake. It was an overhand right, but not a haymaker. It wasn't wild at all, it was planned and precise.

In Woodley's defense, he set it up very nicely with the feint/fake. It was an overhand right, but not a haymaker. It wasn't wild at all, it was planned and precise.

Maybe a better term would be "one-punch champs". It just annoys me a little to see so many belts change hands without even a round of combat being fought. It casts aspersions on the quality of those champions, imo.

Bisping and Woodley earned it.

Conor and Miocic earned it too, but 50% is due to their opponent's stupidity.

Maybe a better term would be "one-punch champs". It just annoys me a little to see so many belts change hands without even a round of combat being fought. It casts aspersions on the quality of those champions, imo.
Yea I'd much prefer a war as well. I was just saying that "haymaker" makes it sounds sloppy and lucky.

Connor is not a haymaker kind of guy. That was a beautiful counter punch he landed on Aldo.

May aswell add Alvarez to the list. That big shot he landed is what eventually led to the tko

I think it casts greater aspersions on the quality of the fighters they beat.

The wrestler overhand haymaker threat combo is not new.

Woodley, McGregor, Miocic, Bisping... edit: might as well add Alvarez too.

It looks like there is a new breed in town once again. Strange for those of us who grew up watching Anderson and GSP dominate their opponents.

View attachment 124985

youre only calling them haymaker champion after a black guy did it. your ass would be silent if robbie won by haymaker

youre only calling them haymaker champion after a black guy did it. your ass would be silent if robbie won by haymaker

What are you talking about? I listed 5 guys and just one of them is black and as the counter example to that kind of champ I listed Anderson and GSP. This is not about race at all.

Miocic's punch to beat Werdum was hardly a "haymaker."

It was a short counter (I believe) off of a stupid onrush by Werdum.

What are you talking about? I listed 5 guys and just one of them is black and as the counter example to that kind of champ I listed Anderson and GSP. This is not about race at all.

every racist guy denies its about race. fact is you made this thread after a black guy did it. you never bothered to bring this up before even though lawler is a haymaker champ too.

Lol stipe shot wasn't a haymaker, he stepped back and planted his foot before throwing the ko shot

Nah, like I said, haymaker may be pushing it - "one punch champ" is probably better, but it sounds less catchy.
More like champions who landed well placed and timed shots. Champions tend to win fights by taking advantage of openings/weaknesses, GSP did this all the time and so did Anderson. These champions are doing the same thing overall, but with more spectacular conclusions for the most part.

Back