Rippetoe's or StrongLifts 5x5?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by HectorOfTroy, Sep 13, 2010.

1. HectorOfTroy

HectorOfTroy White Belt

So I decided to join a gym after all and give it a try on one of these programmes.
    I'm 188cm (6f 2) and 89kg (196lbs). I train Kbox twice a week and wrestling once a week (sparring from time to time).

I read the FAQ and respectable websites and I need some advice.

What do you guys think the better program is: StrongLifts 5x5 or Rippetoe's Practical Programming Novice Program? Esp if I still want to keep doing kbox and wrestling.

I think I'm fit enough not to start with just a barbell (as 5x5 suggests) so Ripp's could be a way to go.
    But, would 5x5 give better results as you do more lifts added all together (esp when you take in the consideration warm ups)?

Also, Am I right to believe that Ripp's takes less time per session then 5x5?

P.S. If I chose Ripp's program, could I swap powercleans/Bent Over Rows with inverted Row?

2. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Cant really go wrong with either one IMO. I kinda like Ripp's tho.

3. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Starting Strength.

4. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

SS, especially if you are training another sport, the reduced volume will be better than doing 5x5 thrice a week.

5. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

This. And you could use inverted rows, but it's hard to quantify progress (& gain strength) on a BW exercise vs a heavy barbell movement like the row.

6. milano

milano I am the Walrus

Use SS and don't swap out power cleans.

7. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

Stronglifts, start light, use rows instead of the inverted row...

8. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Ive always thought Starting Strength was a better routine what makes you say Stronglifts?

9. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

I've done both. I did SL 5x5 when I was 16, then I did SS after I recovered from sports hernia surgery (unrelated to lifting). SS was much easier to recover from when doing BJJ, wrestling, and judo multiple times per week.

10. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

Its a bit easier to get into if you have no coaching. Plus it is very very easy to "transition" from SL to SS when it starts to get hard to recover from.

11. HectorOfTroy

HectorOfTroy White Belt

I think I'll be doing Starting Strength programme since most of you think its better and will go better with my kbox.
    Would you recommend The Original Starting Strength Novice Program or Practical Programming Novice Program?

As for power cleans, I'm not very confident technique wise.

Would Bent Over Rows be good exercise to replace PCleans?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  12. marr

marr White Belt

Either one is good, just go pick one and lift heavy.
    As milano said, don't replace them, educate yourself in the lift and put a lot of time in under the bar with light weights or a brush shank practising them whenever you have a spare 10 minutes or so. The confidence will come as will technique.

Gayle Hatch Olympic Lifting :: Broadband Video Channel
    Try youtubing riptoe coaching the PC and so forth, its all out there you just need to put in the work.

Don't take the easy road out. Hope it helps.

13. betamin

betamin Blue Belt

14. milano

milano I am the Walrus

It's not that starting strength is better, it's because the volume of work is less than stronglifts, and if you're kickboxing twice a week and wrestling once then you may benefit from the reduced volume.

As for which version of SS you should do, I'd say do the original (powercleans). You'll pick up the technique for cleans, just watch tons of videos, read books on it, read articles online.

Also, even though he's disagreed with the majority of posters here, take this mans advice into consideration, knows alot more about strength than I ever will (he's the guy in the videos teaching the olympic lifts):

15. HectorOfTroy

HectorOfTroy White Belt

Thanks to everyone for their responses :).
    I have picked The Original Starting Strength Novice Program due lower volume and my kbox/wrestling classes.

One last question, I hope :).
    I decided to increase my lifts 2.5kg (5lbs) each workout across the board. I reckon since I'm a beginner, even though I'm not really weak, I want to take it easy and step by step. Ripp's recommend 20-15lbs for deads, 15-10lbs for squats and 5-10lbs for press and bench.

Should I follow his recommendations and will my increase of 5lbs across the board have any negative consequences (either that it might take me longer to reach my maximum)?

16. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

If you do SS, and do it without the GOMAD and do it on top of other demanding activity, like MMA training, you will do a lot better if you decrease the weight jumps to as small as you can make them.

17. southpawdude

southpawdude White Belt

I am doing the 2-day split in the FAQ and simply adding 5lbs. per week across he board. It seems to be working for me but everyone is different.

If you can do that then go for it until you begin to stall. When you do stall simply drop the weight on that lift a bit and start progressing again. With your kickboxing/wrestling you probably won't make huge gains for very long.

18. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

SS, 'though I had to modify it slightly to deal with some weaknesses/injuries.

19. BJJ in Chicago

BJJ in Chicago Livin' la vida bomba

Trying desperately to learn the berimbolo
    go with rip. stronglifts is a hack.

20. HectorOfTroy

HectorOfTroy White Belt

Due to my work I might be forced to do a kbox class and then go lift.
    I know this is not ideal, but is it a workable solution?

I could stop my kbox classes for few months while I lift, but I really don't want to.