Rippetoes help

Also I cut my bjj back because of my knee injury, I am training MT 3 days a week and bjj once sometimes not at all.

Just slowly and consistently add weight to the five exercises listed in the program. Will making small increases in weight each workout produce soreness? Who the fuck cares...if you're adding weight to the bar, you're getting stronger (assuming your form stays the same). Period.

Not all the workouts are supposed to seem "challenging". In fact, if they're challenging right off the bat you probably did something wrong...such as started with too high a weight.

Again...slow increases in weight are the key to success of the program. Do not let your ego get in the way of this concept.

For example...let's say you add 5 lbs. to your squat every session. Yes, it may seem fucking easy at first...who cares. Five pounds a session will add 15 lbs. a week since it is a 3-day-a-week program (duh). 15 lbs. a week x 4 weeks = a 60 lb. increase a month. 60 lb. increase a month x 12 months in a year = 720 lb. increase a year. Theoretically, this means that if you started with NO weight on your back and added "only" 5 lbs. a session to your squat for one year...you would be doing 720 lbs. for 3 x 5. Is this gonna happen? No, it's not.

The point is that it is going to get hard eventually. It HAS to...considering the above situation is impossible. The point it becomes impossible is up to your genetics, work ethic, diet, etc.

Just slowly and consistently add weight to the five exercises listed in the program. Will making small increases in weight each workout produce soreness? Who the fuck cares...if you're adding weight to the bar, you're getting stronger (assuming your form stays the same). Period.

Not all the workouts are supposed to seem "challenging". In fact, if they're challenging right off the bat you probably did something wrong...such as started with too high a weight.

Again...slow increases in weight are the key to success of the program. Do not let your ego get in the way of this concept.

For example...let's say you add 5 lbs. to your squat every session. Yes, it may seem fucking easy at first...who cares. Five pounds a session will add 15 lbs. a week since it is a 3-day-a-week program (duh). 15 lbs. a week x 4 weeks = a 60 lb. increase a month. 60 lb. increase a month x 12 months in a year = 720 lb. increase a year. Theoretically, this means that if you started with NO weight on your back and added "only" 5 lbs. a session to your squat for one year...you would be doing 720 lbs. for 3 x 5. Is this gonna happen? No, it's not.

The point is that it is going to get hard eventually. It HAS to...considering the above situation is impossible. The point it becomes impossible is up to your genetics, work ethic, diet, etc.

Good post, I agree.

Anyway it's funny where this thread went, considering I was really just asking about the BOR's and someone answered it in one of the first posts, it's supposed to be power cleans correct? I will do that then, because I just don't like BOR's.

Good post, I agree.

Anyway it's funny where this thread went, considering I was really just asking about the BOR's and someone answered it in one of the first posts, it's supposed to be power cleans correct? I will do that then, because I just don't like BOR's.

Yeah, if you know how to properly powerclean...definitely do powercleans.

Not to bea a prick but this is not correct. You are supposted to start with your 5 rep max, meaning the most you can do for 5 reps. If you start with 200lbs, but could have started with 205lbs, then you started too low. You then add weight every workout from there. Every time SHOULD be a challenge. This is why your diet, and not missing workouts, it so important. It is a very demanding program but if you do it correcly you will see amazing results. Dish out the money for the book or you wont succeed in this program. Hearing it from my mouth, or harbingers mouth, is not the same as hearing it from Rips.

Not to bea a prick but this is not correct. You are supposted to start with your 5 rep max, meaning the most you can do for 5 reps. If you start with 200lbs, but could have started with 205lbs, then you started too low. You then add weight every workout from there. Every time SHOULD be a challenge. This is why your diet, and not missing workouts, it so important. It is a very demanding program but if you do it correcly you will see amazing results. Dish out the money for the book or you wont succeed in this program. Hearing it from my mouth, or harbingers mouth, is not the same as hearing it from Rips.

Not to be a prick...but have you done the program? There is no way in hell you could keep any sort of progression going if you started with balls-out intensity from day 1. You can post a thread on strengthmill and ask Mark which is a better idea if you don't believe me.

I'm not sure if was Starting Strength where I read this...but "It's easier to never get stuck at all then to get unstuck."

Besides, starting out with near-limit maxes for sets is going to produce horrible form in a beginner. The squat is hard to do correctly at any weight.

No. You are wrong.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/starting-strength-rippetoes-3x5-514573/

Here is my log the first time i started Rips program. I had a string of injuries and then lazyness and never finished. I am back on the program now and have blown passed where I was. That log will show you the kind of gains you can make if you eat a lot though.

I have done the program. Im back on it now after a long layoff due to injury. And you do start at your 5 rep max and you will progress if you eat and rest. I have first hand knowledge of this.

Rip does say it is better to not get stuck than to try to get unstuck, but that is in regards to reducing your weight on progressions, not where you start. It is better to stop making 10lb jumps on the squat each workout after a couple weeks and reduce it to 5lbs, than to start stalling.

In regards to form, i agree, and so does Rip. The TS isnt new to squat and DL though, as he stated. Page 152 of Practical Programming talks about someone new to the lifts though, so you can check that out if you want. On page 151 he says "For a novice trainee, the adaptation to a new training load occurs within 24 to 72 hours." This is why a new lifter can progress so quickly while starting out on their 5 rep max.

Either way you would be fine im sure, but what you stated is YOUR opinion, not what Rippetoe wrote. If im wrong I will gladly lick your shoes and call myself an asshole though.

Cody you're off ...it's not realistic to train with your maxes from the getgo...it's a progressive build up after which you not only match your maxes but surpass them...as a beginner this will be often quick and the gains big however as you become stronger and more experienced then the periods of training will often lengthen and your gains will shrink....

it's a progressive build up after which you not only match your maxes but surpass them...as a beginner this will be often quick and the gains big however as you become stronger and more experienced then the periods of training will often lengthen and your gains will shrink....

I agree that after a while your gains will shrink and you will need to do more work in order to get stronger. This is when you would go to the intermediate program from Practical Programming. In the book he says you should be able to continue to add weight every workout for quite a while though, as long as you dont try to make too alrge of jumps each session. Rippetoes starting strength program is a linear progression for beginners, and you dont need to ramp up your work sets to progress like a intermediate athlete would. "Novices can, and should, increase the weight of the work sets every workout until this is no longer possible. In fact, novices get strong as fast as the workout makes them, and what was hard last time is not hard today. They can adapt so quickly that the concept of "maximum intensity" is hard to define." Starting Strength, page 201.

Either way, i hate reading through books and quoting shit, it takes too much time.

I have to recant my statement that it was YOUR opinon adn not what Rip wrote, becuase I cant find what he wrote right now.

To the TS, this is a perfect example of why you should buy the book. Different people see things differently. I started with the most weight I could lift for 5 reps and progressed from there, has worked for me so far.

Geez. I am not saying every workout should be making you puke. But I am saying if you don't walk out of the weight room every now and then feeling woozy, then you aren't training hard enough. My old Sigung used to say "it's not a good workout until there is blood and sweat on the floor" or the SEAL Motto "pain is weakness leaving the body"

Now not every day should be that way. But sorry if he is only benching 135 and says he is a not a beginner, I cal bs, and say how the hell has been training. Also without a doubt he isn't training for strength or eating correctly at all. Hands down I don't have a single guy come to me for a program that can't OHP 135. Yet that is his max bench.

Buy the book, read the F&Q here, read the F&Q in the diet and supplement forum. Come back with a plan. That simple.

I posted a thread asking Rip, but it has to get approved before they allow it to be posted. Either way, one of us is going to be shining shoes once he answers.

Let me spell this out for you:

If you can do three sets of five with a weight, IT IS NOT YOUR 5RM.

Well i gotta appologize to Chaos, even though I dont want to.

"If your 5RM is 195, you cannot use it for 3 sets of 5, because you are going to do more than one set of 5. So yes, you'd have to use a lower weight to train."

And to eveyone else. Im wrong. Who wants their shoes shined?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back