1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Rippetoes help

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by mrsneakyz28, Jun 29, 2008.

1. mrsneakyz28 Green Belt

So I'm doing the rippetoes program for my strength training. I don't follow the diet that goes along with it, I do want to bulk but I care more about functional strength for my MT and bjj training as well as eating clean. The program is going pretty well, I can't really give a number on how long I've been doing it because I've been so off and on with training the past couple months (knee injury, vacation, work, etc.) but nonetheless I've raised my bench from 110 to 130 (working on 135 now for all 3 sets), and squats from 135-185. DL has hovered around 205 since I started and I think thats due to lack of consitancy with training for it not raising much since it was already high for my size and weight to begin with.

Anyway one lift that annoys me is the BOR's or pendalay rows. Honestly I just don't feel like its effective or really doing anything for me. Sure I've increased the weight on it, but when I am performing the lift it feels akward. Like its heavy but its not working any muscles, make sense? I just feel like there could be something much more effective in its place and I'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions. My upper back needs alot of work, as I have really poor posture and am having alot of trouble fixing it. Help me out!

2. Chaos Mitten** Banned Banned

1) You obviously have not read "Starting Strength" and are just going off of the BB.com write-up by Kethnaab. If you had read the book, you would know that the Starting Strength novice program has power cleans, not rows.
    2) There is no such thing as a "Pendlay row."
    3) "Starting Strength" only costs $30.
    4) Buy the fucking book.

3. Maybe the weight is TOO heavy, if you drop the weight a little maybe you will feel it helping more.

4. codysweet02 Brown Belt

Im also doing Rippetoes program and BORs are not in it. I am doing BORs due to a wrist injury, but Power Cleans are the exercise Rip himself has in the program. He has said BORs are an ok substitute, but that you should really be doing power cleans. Once my wrist is better, I will be going back to PCs also.

Consistancy and diet are very important in this program. You have to eat a lot, and dont miss days. His program is for strength AND size. Its hard to progress as fast as you will in his program wtihout eating a lot and putting on weight. It is a very demanding program on your body and you need the food to recover.

Are you doing BJJ and MT as well as Rippetoes program? If so, that is probably another reason you are stalling. Rippetoes program damn near needs to be done by itself. If you are going to be doing your BJJ and MT along with strength training, you probably want to get on a different program.

You can also go over to strengthmill.com forums and talk to Rip himself. HE posts on there pretty much every day and is always answering questions.

5. codysweet02 Brown Belt

6. joe broadway Unbeatable

If a move feels weird to you, practice the movement with low or no weight until it feels natural.

Don

7. codysweet02 Brown Belt

I put a list of goals on my desk that i want to reach by August 6th. For example, a 315lb squat for 5 reps. I did it for DL, bench, and OHP also. It has really helped me stay motivated. Im gonna be cutting it SUPER close on my squat goal, and it is driving me crazy. Regardless of if i hit it or not, writing it down and seeing it every day has really made me want to meet my mark.

8. DEVILsSON Black Belt

focus on squeezing your lats and traps during rows...during pendlays lean forward more and it's just a strict version of a bor...much of the time you want feel much of anything except sore back a couple days later....if you're getting stronger and you're maintaining got form then you're doing well...

9. mrsneakyz28 Green Belt

Thats the thing. I wouldn't consider myself a beginner because I've been lifting for a long time. I've been properly strength training for a while now (bench, dl, squats), just having trouble keeping a full consistency with diet and training. Married 2 kids, work full-time, and train MT and bjj 5 days a week (less now because of injury). I am off work for 10 days so I'd like to reevaluate my goals and get on a consistant schedule without missing any days as well as a good diet. I probably eat 3000-3500 calories a day eating fairly clean but I need to up my protein and carb intake a bit more without doing shakes (I don't digest them well).

Being that I'm not a newb to lifting I also find myself feeling the need to add in some exercises to my workouts. I don't get sore the next day, and I don't get fatigued in MT/Bjj because of strength training and vice versa. Last week I benched on all 3 days and thats when I started to make the jump to 135. Should I add in the extra workouts if I feel I can? I should probably be doing the 5x5 at this point but I do not have enough time for it, as the rippetoes allows me to get in and get out pretty quickly.

10. mrsneakyz28 Green Belt

And also you are correct I did not read the book, I found the writeup through a yahoo search and I basically use it as a guideline more than a complete following of the program. I do Squat, Bench, DL, and Dips on A days, and Squat, Military, BOR's, and Pullup's on B days. I sub in bench on B days occasionally because I just feel like I didnt do enough work.

11. Vedic Purple Belt

Define a long time. By your numbers you are definately a newbie. Diet is going to be 80% of the battle, don't kid yourself. You will have to make a choice which is more important lifting or MMA, and adjust accordingly, or come up with a whole new program. Again, if your diet is lacking you will be forever spinning your wheels.

If you aren't sore, or you FEEL you need to add exercises. Then your intensity is lacking especially if it is one of Mark's programs. 135 is a jump? Ya you are a newbie man, push yourself hard. If you can walk out of the gym without wanting to puke, or feeling completely worn out then you aren't lifting hard enough. Quality over quantity.

12. theNuge Brown Belt

I want to see Vedic's post...

13. mrsneakyz28 Green Belt

Here's the problem. Unless I were to do a large number of exercises or sets I wont feel that way. If the program says I am only to do 3x5 then what do I do. If I cannot physically complete any heavier weight then what I am already doing for those 3 sets then how would I up the intensity level while sticking to the program? My muscle endurance is good so I dont get "tired" or feel like I am going to puke after doing just 3 sets. So my question is should I just do more sets? I understand how important the eating part is and I am working on that, but I don't really see how mma training would be hindering my strength training.

14. Chaos Mitten** Banned Banned

How deluded do you have to be to believe that you aren't a beginner when you can't do 135 for reps on the bench press or 225 for reps on the squat or deadlift?

If you have been training "for a long time" and are putting up those numbers, then you should probably just give up on lifting weights and start a caloric restriction diet.

15. Vedic Purple Belt

MMA training is a explosive sport. So is weight training. The CNS is finicky, and you aren't listening to anything myself or anyone else is telling you. If you aren't going to listen, an instead want to argue how you aren't messing up, then why post?

I am trying to help you out, I weigh 185, can bench over 400, Pull 600, run a 4.5 forty, have been invited to a olympic tryout ,and yet still do a simple workout that in ten sets total would make me want to die.

Like I said, you are doing everything wrong pretty much, my other responses are in red.

16. theNuge Brown Belt

Well, hello Mr. Fancy Pants!!!

:icon_chee

17. Vedic Purple Belt

Hahaha, it was meant as a example. I mean I have had a workout that was five sets total, just kick my ass. Granted some need a base strength level to get to that point, but it can be done by varying TUT, etc.

18. codysweet02 Brown Belt

Sneakyz you really should buy the book and follow the program. There are many people like you who feel they are not a novice, but in the strength world, you really are(i am also, not tryin to bag on you). Rippetoe specifically addresses this in his book. Go buy it. $30 on Starting Strength is worth more than $10,000 in supplements. And thats not an exadgeration.

Also if you are training your skill work 5x a week you would not be able to do Rips program correctly. It would be too much for your body to handle.

I could post on this thread all day, but really, just go get the book or you will never accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.

19. codysweet02 Brown Belt

Go ready strengthmill.coms forum also. Rip posts on there personally, you will learn a lot over there. But owning the book is a must. By benching 3x a week, you are just basterdizing his program and ruining your progress. The writeups over at Bodybuilding.com are not Rips program.

20. mrsneakyz28 Green Belt

I'm not arguing, I really am asking what do I do. WHAT am I doing wrong? I never said I wasnt making strength gains. I also said I've been training on and off but havent been able to have a consistant run in a while which is what I am trying to do now and I would like to reevaluate my training program and exercises (hence the BOR's) before I commit to something 100%. When I was in HS I could bench 165 lbs and I didnt know shit about strength training. I also weighed about 155 at the time and was in about 10x worse shape than I am in now. What I did do was eat 5-6k calories a day and do nothing but use my bench I had at home. After that I didnt do anything for a long time and eventually I dropped down to 128lbs, yes 128. Thats when I started working out but didnt really know what I was doing, I made some gains and stopped at about 137. Then I learned how to properly squat and dl and now I'm 150 lbs. I am much stronger overall than I was when I was in highschool benching 160, I bet I couldnt even DL over 100 lbs at the time.

Anyway the MT I'm sure has alot to do with hovering around the same weight, especially if I do not get 4k+ calories a day for my body type. Ok so I'm a noob, but I'm not a BEGINNER, someone who has never lifted before. Alot of programs and write-ups are tailor made for guys that don't even know how to dl or squat. That's all I'm saying. Its not a problem of whether I CAN suceed on the rippetoes program, or if I'm pushing my self hard enough, its more a matter of going more than 2 weeks without starting to miss workouts due to everyday life (mostly wife/kids). It's also a matter of getting on a strict diet that will allow me to bulk, I'd still like to keep it as clean as possible however, because I have a problem digesting alot of unhealthy food now.