RIP Terry Jones of Monty Python.

Palin and Jones were writing partners so he had a hand in those characters.

At the sillier end of Python but I always loved...

EqualSevereBilby-size_restricted.gif

I think actually Palin/Jones was a lot of what held Python together, not just Jones being the organiser(and going on to direct the films) but in finding the middle ground between the more Obxbridge Cleese/Chapman stuff and the broader Eric Idle stuff.

RIP
The Oxford Python guys(Jones & Palin) were sillier than the Cambridge trio.

RIP to an absolute legend. I consider Monty Python to be the greatest comedy team of all time. It is indeed a sad day.

I actually kinda agree with @Clippy. A favorite MP member discussion should be left for another thread. Didn’t mean to hijack things. That’s not doing Terry justice.

The Oxford Python guys(Jones & Palin) were sillier than the Cambridge trio.

Cambridge was traditionally considered to have the stronger comedy environment and I think you can see that Cleese/Champman does feel more like classic footlights, they push things further into the absurd that we'd seen in the past I'd say the setups for their work were more than kind of middle class comedy.

The Jones/Palin stuff was I think the more pop culture(including some American) influenced, things like The Bishop or Blackmail and I think you could argue that was a lot of why Python broke though to a much wider audience and indeed latter into the US. Maybe why Jones didn't get quite as many iconic characters as Palin played various TV show hosts so well although of course he played old women a hell of a lot.

If you like the bums(most often his own) and tits in Python then I suspect you can thank Jones. <45>

Goddamn badger.

Cambridge was traditionally considered to have the stronger comedy environment and I think you can see that Cleese/Champman does feel more like classic footlights, they push things further into the absurd that we'd seen in the past I'd say the setups for their work were more than kind of middle class comedy.

The Jones/Palin stuff was I think the more pop culture(including some American) influenced, things like The Bishop or Blackmail and I think you could argue that was a lot of why Python broke though to a much wider audience and indeed latter into the US. Maybe why Jones didn't get quite as many iconic characters as Palin played various TV show hosts so well although of course he played old women a hell of a lot.

If you like the bums(most often his own) and tits in Python then I suspect you can thank Jones. <45>
He was the best at being the old woman among them, imo. Didn't have many iconic roles but was always the second most artistic Python (second to Gilliam) having directed Python movies.

I love the documentaries and travelogues he and Michael Palin have done in their later years. They come across as the most laid back of the Python members.
He leaves behind a great legacy, rest in peace.

He was the best at being the old woman among them, imo. Didn't have many iconic roles but was always the second most artistic Python (second to Gilliam) having directed Python movies.

That he was chosen to direct the films does go along with the idea that he was the one most involved in linking the Python shows together, making them more of a strength of consciousness rather than just random sketches.

That he was chosen to direct the films does go along with the idea that he was the one most involved in linking the Python shows together, making them more of a strength of consciousness rather than just random sketches.
Palin mentioned that in his latest interview. Jones would be the one proposing stuff to do/shoot.

Back