RIP James Thunder

aw man, sad. Heard he was having a hard time after boxing.

Haven't heard much about him since he got out of boxing myself. I recall there was quite a bit of hype around the guy early on.

i heard he had a tough time after boxing, i just saw some reddit post saying that he punched a stranger in Vegas and tried to get some cops to kill him. A lot of sadness in this sport. No telling what was bothering him so much. Probably the same things that bother most of us, shattered dreams, broken promises, people letting us down, but don't know. Seems as though a lot of the heavyweights of that era, late 80's early 90's aren't living much past 50 for whatever reason.

Rip, remember him knocking some poor guy out in seconds. Was a memorable name because of it.

Him knocking out Ivan Drago in like 3 seconds what what made his name. He was one of the pioneers for Samoan boxers.

What I remember, he was a big puncher with poor stamina. Good journeyman heavyweight who actually had a couple good names on his resume.

fuck thats rough. fastest HW ko i’ve ever seen. tough pacific islander. rip

i heard he had a tough time after boxing, i just saw some reddit post saying that he punched a stranger in Vegas and tried to get some cops to kill him. A lot of sadness in this sport. No telling what was bothering him so much. Probably the same things that bother most of us, shattered dreams, broken promises, people letting us down, but don't know. Seems as though a lot of the heavyweights of that era, late 80's early 90's aren't living much past 50 for whatever reason.
couple that with the brain damage and the knowledge that you aren’t as great as you once were. fighting is not a forgiving sport by any means.

couple that with the brain damage and the knowledge that you aren’t as great as you once were. fighting is not a forgiving sport by any means.
no it isn't, i've never been around top boxers but i was around some successful mma'rs, i was always surprised by how bitter and depressed they seemed. I also wasn't always very forgiving, if a grown man can't sus out what's good and what's bad for him it's his fault, and I'd tell them that. but at the same time, i didn't understand it, they had success, made some money, lived decently, so, maybe it comes down to ego, ego is never satisfied, even Ali seemed to go through some real depression in the 80's when it sunk in that it was all over, so do many fighters, i know that can be a symptom of brain damage but it can also be a symptom of loss. I look at some stories and thank god that my ego was never so big as to get me into real trouble.

Sucks. Sounds like he had been in a better place, recently. Shame to lose him to an operation. And at 54, no less.

Shame he was a fun fighter. I heard he had some problems since he retired with his memory and being homeless.

Great memories of watching him on Tuesday night fights, and the Chris Byrd fight on HBO.....

RIP Champ.

Shame he was a fun fighter. I heard he had some problems since he retired with his memory and being homeless.
It is sad. If I were a billionaire the first thing I'd do is make a home for old fighters

He was part of several great nights of boxing on Tuesday night fights. Arguably the best boxing show on TV. RIP Jimmy Thunder.

Along with tua, mark hunt, mighty mo and lesser extend joseph parker was one of those big punching samoan/NZ fighters whose fights always tended to be fun scraps. RIP.