News RIP Aniah Blanchard, Walt Harris' Daughter (2000-2019) | Three Suspects Charged

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Phisher, Oct 24, 2019.

1. IGotAHugePeckah

IGotAHugePeckah Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

That would be an extremely harmful precedent to set.

If dude knows him and his wife are going to get charged for not calling the police, he doesn't come forward after the fact and confirm that this guy was the abductor.

louis345 and Pacemaker Joe like this.
  2. SpedDaddyV

SpedDaddyV GOAT

this reminds me of when I was younger and in elementary school, our teaches go over that girl who got stabbed in queens NY back in the 60s, and 37 people witnessed it, but no one did anything

as a kid, you are in shock and think "surely if I was in that situation, I would have done something. no way that happens in the real world"

and then you grow up, and realize as we get older, we are more concerned with our own well-being and how interfering may affect us. we may have families we are concerned about, we may worry about the repercussions of this guy coming after them, or even just worry about all the inconvenience dealing with the police would be

its a shame, but until you are actually in the situation that guy was in, its easy to judge. and like you said, convicting people after they come forward for not doing anything will only deter people in the future from coming forward with any information at all

this guy could live in a really crappy neighborhood, where if word gets out that he assisted the police in an investigation, the old motto "snitches get stitches" or put in ditches or whatever it is comes true

3. IGotAHugePeckah

IGotAHugePeckah Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Agree and also can you imagine all the shitty tips cops would get if people were scared of getting charged if they never reported a potential crime? They be bombarded with nonsense.

4. Wayne Brady

Wayne Brady *neck belt*

I have no rant. You are speaking with authority from your own personnel experience and acting like that experience is universal. I disagree.

amok attitude likes this.
  5. reddhelium

reddhelium Black Belt

that's since been proven to be false. i recently watched a documentary titled "the witness" which debunks the theory that no one helped-

A new documentary revisits Genovese's 1964 murder and the 38 bystanders who allegedly did nothing to stop it. Critic John Powers says the film is "a useful moral corrective" to the popular narrative.

While there was no question that the attack occurred, and that some neighbors ignored cries for help, the portrayal of 38 witnesses as fully aware and unresponsive was erroneous. The article grossly exaggerated the number of witnesses and what they had perceived. None saw the attack in its entirety. Only a few had glimpsed parts of it, or recognized the cries for help. Many thought they had heard lovers or drunks quarreling. There were two attacks, not three. And afterward, two people did call the police. A 70-year-old woman ventured out and cradled the dying victim in her arms until they arrived. Ms. Genovese died on the way to a hospital.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/04/how-the-false-story-of-kitty-genovese-s-murder-went-viral.html

Research into the bystander effect began in earnest after the brutal rape and murder of Kitty Genovese in 1964. Initial reporting by The New York Times held that 38 witnesses watched the attack but did not intervene or even call the police. The story was widely circulated in the media, but later research revealed that it was mostly false. Far fewer people witnessed the attack than was first reported, at least one of the witnesses did contact the police, and some of the witnesses only heard screams but could not actually see the murderer or his victim.

https://fee.org/articles/the-bystander-effect-myth-or-fact/

6. MuaythaiGangstalicious

MuaythaiGangstalicious White Belt

Death penalty for this fecal parasite.
    Now he gets to be alive 30 more years(with all the appeals) on death row. Solitary confinement. Away from Gen pop. So he won't get raped or beat up... I hope some of the inmates get ahold of this scumbag and run a train before they lock him up for good.

She was shot. Hopefully she didn't suffer and was instant.

Rip.

IrritatedTomcat likes this.
  7. Bu11etproof_JBE

Bu11etproof_JBE White Belt

New york strip steak. I've also seen them make some killer lobster tai . They cab buy lobster and steak in commissary for $2.22 per pound.

RonnyB and PicoPulse like this.
  8. Bu11etproof_JBE

Bu11etproof_JBE White Belt

It is, any officer in the country will say the same. The biggest problem is the fact that the people who are getting to the positions of authority have never worked their way up the ranks, they have never dealt with the problems that you deal with as an officer, Sergeant, and Lieutenant. They sit in nice, air conditioned offices up front behind a desk and come up with the most ridiculous nonsense to try and justify their jobs. They spend little to no time out back with us, but they'll be the first ones to point fingers at us when something goes down to try and tell us what we should have done differently, when they dont have the slightest clue how the place is run to begin with.

The people on the outside who love to hate us and throw out those arrogant disses against us because they've watched an episode of oz or sons of anarchy, have usually never even stepped foot inside of a prison before besides maybe the visit room.

mb23100, Mike and RonnyB like this.
  9. wwkirk

wwkirk Brown Belt

There aren't many states in the US where an ordinary citizen is legally obligated to report a crime. Being an accessory after the fact, or actually lying to the authorities, is another matter.

Under federal law, one can be prosecuted for Misprision of felony, for failing to report a felony, but only if one took steps to conceal it.

If one is a mandated/mandatory reporter one does have to report certain crimes if one becomes aware of them. But only certain occupations fall under this heading.

10. Willie

Willie Orange Belt

In France we have a concept that is called 'non assistance to a person in danger'. Basically if you witness a crime, kidnapping whatever, you have to call the police. No one is asking you to be a hero but at least call police, paramedics or other rescue. Otherwise you can be prosecuted.

11. Mr hanky

Mr hanky Purple Belt

Guess there is exception for Paris in this law. I live here for 7 years and i saw crazy stuff happening where people were simply turning their heads other way. I will never forget when like 1 year ago with another guy we saved drunk guy who fell on rails of metro. There was hundred people easy who simply sat and do nothing while all of this happen.

another case was when homeless guy knocked out a random 60 year old woman in the street, saturday midday. i just arrived back then to Paris so didn't speak french. i asked my girlfriend to call police, and then random bystander said: "don't call police its not your business".

these are just 2 cases, had many many more. don't know where you live in France buddy, but i can assure you in Paris nobody heard about this law.

on the other hand, crazy thing in france is the law where if you are attacked you can't beat up tge shit out of the guy because otherwise you will have problems, not the guy who attacked you. that's also why people simply do nothing in Paris.

And best is the law when the guy will attack you with knife, and you have a gun (somehow), you cant shoot the guy as he attacked you with less powerfull weapon. because appatently it has to be equally dangerous.

depassage222 likes this.
  12. Willie

Willie Orange Belt

Well I definitely know this is a thing but if there is no police around to witness you acting like that and if the victim doesnt report the incident nothing will happen.
    And I am not a 'buddy' ;)

13. BlessedSoldier

BlessedSoldier White Belt

That rarely happens

14. rakeleaves

rakeleaves Brown Belt

Not really. In Texas it happens more than you'd think.

15. depassage222

depassage222 Yellow Belt

I left France because it's a shithole.
    It's becoming unsafe and unlikeable.

DelanoRunnymede and Mr hanky like this.
  16. IDGETKTFO

IDGETKTFO White Belt

I was in a house fire. I was in nothing but boxers in the dead of winter, i carried the downstairs tenants out of the building, even went back in for their dog. I am sorry, but if you are more concerned about what the word on the street will be if you call the cops on a possible kidnapping, then you are a POS. I am not saying those people should be punished by the law, but nobody should be trying to justify their lack of concern for that poor girl over their reputation.

17. IrritatedTomcat

IrritatedTomcat Black Belt

To be fair, I said should.

But I’ve changed my mind

Those three should be executed.

18. IrritatedTomcat

Telling the cops about kidnapping is not the same as snitching and anyone who thinks that should be castrated. People need to grow the fuck up.

wwkirk likes this.
  19. IrritatedTomcat

In a perfect world, Walt Harris would get to torture him.

Yes, I realize what I said.

Tortured.

20. Son of Jamin

Son of Jamin Make MMA Great Again

I have been less active on Sherdog lately but this case has been so close to my heart that I always come back for updates and that instragram post by Walt brought tears to my eyes and I'm not a very emotional guy.

Praying for healing, strength, comfort and peace for Aniah's loved ones!