Crime Riots over gas prices in France. At least 2 dead, 600 injured.

Wait seriously 1500/ month?? I thought France was a first world country?

France's GDP per capita is supposed to be 3200/ month.
It's a "fake" first world country. Most of the money goes to a small elite, but the majority is working hard but isn't paid much.

The typical job is paid 1200. When you get more, it's because your job offers bonuses based on sales/performances, or management positions, but that's not the typical situation. When you get those, you can get to 2K or 3K a month. But more is for the "creme de la creme".

Sorry to hear that, Paris is a real shithole, I’ve been there a few times. The only good thing there is croque monsieurs.
I agree, most areas have lost a lot of charisma, but with a good guide like me, your trip would have been much more enjoyable I think.

Many things to eat and see, many girls to have a lot of fun with... {<redford}

Last edited:
We Americans would just bend over and take it. And ask for more. Because someone would tell us we are helping with climate change. And wed believe it. And tweet about how righteous we are. And shame anyone who's against it.

The gas tax is the most fucked up shitty way to deal with how much americans consume that I can think of. Fuck Obama for endorsing this idea when he was president and any other politician that endorses it too.

The answer is federally enforced laws forcing car companies to produce vehicles that use WAY less gas.

Istead they gotta fuck the poor guy over once again.

I'm French and here are some explanation :

Most of the french population usually work for 1200€ (1500$)/month, have to pay a rent 600-800€ (1000$)/month, have to pay 200-300€ (400$) for oil for their cars, and the rest for food, kids needs etc.. and the goverment keep adding taxes for BS on the majority, and nothing on the wealthy folks.

Basically, that's the problem.

This looks like a model Trudeau in Canada is striving for.

Some quick googling brought up the price of a liter of petrol , in Paris, as 1.58 Euros.
1 US gallon = 3.78 liters
So cost of 1 US gallon = Euros 5.97
Which is $6.77..Yeah that would bring about lots of protesting over here. But Europe traditionally has had much higher petrol prices than us.

Prices are similar to what they are in Germany. Now, the Oil Prices are actually quite low, Brent oil is below the 60$ mark. Imagine how expensive it will get once the oil price picks up again. All in addition to already very high cost of living.

Wait seriously 1500/ month?? I thought France was a first world country?

France's GDP per capita is supposed to be 3200/ month.

1.5k median after tax sounds right to me for france.

The gas tax is the most fucked up shitty way to deal with how much americans consume that I can think of. Fuck Obama for endorsing this idea when he was president and any other politician that endorses it too.

The answer is federally enforced laws forcing car companies to produce vehicles that use WAY less gas.

Istead they gotta fuck the poor guy over once again.

The concept of high gas taxes worked well for Germany for the last 75 years.
That has made our car industry very competitive. But the government also invested a lot in public transport especially trains.
I guess in the US you have the issue that it is so large in some areas and a train network like you have in Germany/Japan would not be possible in places like Texas or so. You simply need a car.

The other reason why countries in Europe push for high gas or energy price is because we want to make the transition to renewable energy before everyone else. Not so much for the environment but because we don't have any natural resources anymore anyway. And whoever is able to change to renewable first is going to be looking very good. Imagine how much more competitive Germany will be compared to the US when oil and gas eventually become obsolete.

I mean it sucks now to pay high prices for gas and power. But that is part of a long-term investment that is going to pay off in 50+ years or so.
You always have to have one eye on the future.

Some quick googling brought up the price of a liter of petrol , in Paris, as 1.58 Euros.
1 US gallon = 3.78 liters
So cost of 1 US gallon = Euros 5.97
Which is $6.77..Yeah that would bring about lots of protesting over here. But Europe traditionally has had much higher petrol prices than us.

This BBC article said diesel prices are up 25% this year. I think Europeans are bigger on diesel than us. The tax on diesel is nearly twice the tax on regular petrol.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46331783

The price of diesel, the most commonly used fuel in French cars, has risen by around 23% over the past 12 months to an average of €1.51 (£1.32; $1.71) per litre, its highest point since the early 2000s, AFP reports.

World oil prices did rise before falling back again but the Macron government raised its hydrocarbon tax this year by 7.6 cents per litre on diesel and 3.9 cents on petrol, as part of a campaign for cleaner cars and fuel.

The concept of high gas taxes worked well for Germany for the last 75 years.
That has made our car industry very competitive. But the government also invested a lot in public transport especially trains.
I guess in the US you have the issue that it is so large in some areas and a train network like you have in Germany/Japan would not be possible in places like Texas or so. You simply need a car.

The other reason why countries in Europe push for high gas or energy price is because we want to make the transition to renewable energy before everyone else. Not so much for the environment but because we don't have any natural resources anymore anyway. And whoever is able to change to renewable first is going to be looking very good. Imagine how much more competitive Germany will be compared to the US when oil and gas eventually become obsolete.

I mean it sucks now to pay high prices for gas and power. But that is part of a long-term investment that is going to pay off in 50+ years or so.
You always have to have one eye on the future.

There just has to be a better way. The pressure ought to be put on car makers not car drivers. Way too many people are already fucked and just getting by driving an old car. Targeting them is cruel.

There just has to be a better way. The pressure ought to be put on car makers not car drivers. Way too many people are already fucked and just getting by driving an old car. Targeting them is cruel.

"Well, maybe if they weren't poor they could afford a nice shiny new car!" <-- every politician ever.

Little Jupiter sets his foot soldiers on the people.
This is how the EU army would be !!! used against the citizens .

We Americans would just bend over and take it. And ask for more. Because someone would tell us we are helping with climate change. And wed believe it. And tweet about how righteous we are. And shame anyone who's against it.
Nah, when gas prices get high here it's because we fucked the wrong middle east leader.

This BBC article said diesel prices are up 25% this year. I think Europeans are bigger on diesel than us. The tax on diesel is nearly twice the tax on regular petrol.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46331783

The price of diesel, the most commonly used fuel in French cars, has risen by around 23% over the past 12 months to an average of €1.51 (£1.32; $1.71) per litre, its highest point since the early 2000s, AFP reports.

World oil prices did rise before falling back again but the Macron government raised its hydrocarbon tax this year by 7.6 cents per litre on diesel and 3.9 cents on petrol, as part of a campaign for cleaner cars and fuel.
Yeah diesel is very popular over there, very common. Over here I am paying about $3.19 for a gallon of diesel. Petrol is $2.39 a gallon, so I envy the petrol guys when I go fill up my tank.

They should toss Saudia Arabia a few journalists to dismember. They had 2 deaths and 600+ injured. All we did was sacrifice one person.

Talk about a good deal. #winning

Who sacrificed that person?

This is the future France wanted.

Let them eat shit.

Who sacrificed that person?

Himself, by going to a hostile embassy on his own accord. A martyr i guess would be better wording. I was just being sarcastic tho. People shit on the US and act like we are the laughing of the first world, and the rest is 100% OK

In reality, each country has their own string of problems to laugh at. I cant imagine some of these world leaders managing a country as large as ours and as diverse.

Nothing like taxing an inelastic goods to piss off the public.

Alaska is awesome. Don’t be jealous.
Well if my choice was to live in a cramped apartment complex in Paris or a home in Alaska with a decent size yard then I take Alaska. If however all I could get in Alaska was an apartment or trailer home but a 3000 sq/ft home in Paris with a decent yard then I would choose the later.

Alaska is awesome. Don’t be jealous.

"Tourism in Paris is a major income source. In 2017, 33.8 million tourists visited the city and her region. The city remains year after year the most visited one in the world ahead of London and New York City. The top reason to come are sightseeing and shopping. The city is the largest Airbnb market in the world. Top sights: Notre Dame (12 million visitors in 2017), Disneyland Paris (11), Sacre Coeur (10), Versailles Palace (7.7), the Louvre Museum (6.9), the Eiffel Tower (5.9), Centre Pompidou (3.33), Musee d'Orsay (3)"

Alsaka:

alaska-day.jpg

<{MingNope}>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back