Crime Riots over gas prices in France. At least 2 dead, 600 injured.

Maybe someone with a Le Pen should write Macron a sternly worded note that his policies don't appear to be as popular as one would expect from someone looking to rule as a Roman God.

I'm French and here are some explanation :

Most of the french population usually work for 1200€ (1500$)/month, have to pay a rent 600-800€ (1000$)/month, have to pay 200-300€ (400$) for oil for their cars, and the rest for food, kids needs etc.. and the goverment keep adding taxes for BS on the majority, and nothing on the wealthy folks.

Basically, that's the problem.

Thanks.

Do you currently live in France?

It took me 5 articles to find an actual breakdown of the repercussions of the tax hike:

The core issue that the Yellow Vests have rallied around is clear enough, at least. Earlier this year, Macron announced tax increases on fuel, due to be introduced in January. If the plans go ahead, gas taxes will rise by €0.029 per liter ($0.12 a gallon) and taxes on diesel—a fuel once heavily promoted in France that is now being proactively phased out—will rise to €0.065 a liter ($0.24 a gallon). These taxes come on the heels of already steep rises in fuel costs over the past few years, leaving the government open to accusations that it is squeezing already stretched workers in a way that shows indifference to their living conditions. https://www.citylab.com/transportat...jaunes-emmanuel-macron-gas-diesel-tax/576196/
This protest seems a little out of proportion; obviously other things are at work here.

But if you give all the money to the rich it will eventually trickle down!

It does trickle down.

It just tends to trickle up even faster <45>

Oil might be low but if you still need to import gasoline/diesel since you lack refinery capacity the low prices won’t be utilized.

How much is gas where you are right now?

Edit: if what I saw when I searched is even close to accurate, that is riot worthy.
Some quick googling brought up the price of a liter of petrol , in Paris, as 1.58 Euros.
1 US gallon = 3.78 liters
So cost of 1 US gallon = Euros 5.97
Which is $6.77..Yeah that would bring about lots of protesting over here. But Europe traditionally has had much higher petrol prices than us.

I'm French and here are some explanation :

Most of the french population usually work for 1200€ (1500$)/month, have to pay a rent 600-800€ (1000$)/month, have to pay 200-300€ (400$) for oil for their cars, and the rest for food, kids needs etc.. and the goverment keep adding taxes for BS on the majority, and nothing on the wealthy folks.

Basically, that's the problem.

Wait seriously 1500/ month?? I thought France was a first world country?

France's GDP per capita is supposed to be 3200/ month.

GDP per capita is always alot higher than median wage. Rich people skew it.

According to wiki, France's median household income is quite a bit lower than the US & Canada, and I suspect their expenses are greater on average also (certainly when it comes to gas prices and probably housing and food). So in terms of cash left in pocket it doesn't look so good. A raise in taxes and/or basic living costs would impact them harder based on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_income

They should toss Saudia Arabia a few journalists to dismember. They had 2 deaths and 600+ injured. All we did was sacrifice one person.

Talk about a good deal. #winning

Back