Rios vs Alvarado 3 on 1/24

I'm really not seeing it that way. We'll just have to see. In my eyes, Alvarado has hit the ceiling. Sure, maybe Rios as well but I don't know... Something about recent Alvarado made me believe he's done.

Rios is a journeyman and the boxing world just hasn't realized it yet. He has no power at welterweight, can't box for shit and hasn't really done anything significant at the weight other than swear at Chaves and convince the ref to DQ him.

Rios should never have moved up to welterweight, to be honest. He may have cut to 135lbs for too long, but his power doesn't carry to 147lbs and he's too crude to do well against even decent boxer-punchers at this weight.

He's no star, that's for sure. But neither is Alvarado. No matter what, it'll be a ferocious fight I reckon

I think Rios could have been a star if matched up well. I don't believe in rankings or that stars or "world champions" are necessarily the best fighters. Gatti was a star and is a legend - he was never the best though. And I think Rios was made for HBO televised main events. The Alvarado rivalry is the sort of thing that could have been a big televised fight, more so than it is.

But matching him with Abril was a huge mistake, in my opinion. Abril might not have looked good, but he showed how limited Rios really was, and that's something his trainers and promoter should already have known. Really, I'd only ever have matched him against guys that he'd either look good to in defeat or blow out the water. It might not prove how good he is - it would have potentially made him more valuable as a promotional commodity though.

Well, it's quite easy to see how limited Rios is, so yeah matching him up with the right guys would seem essential. He's got balls though and I think that'll carry him against an uninspired Alvarado... Who knows though...
Provodnikov and Matthysse are made for Rios. He would lose but it would be fun

I don't think Alvarado is going to be as unfocused as you think. To be honest, it's Rios that I have those doubts about.

I don't know how much longer Rios should really keep fighting. Fights with either Provodnikov or Matthyse might be fun to watch, but he'd get absolutely battered and I don't think he has the power to really hurt either man.

I don't think Alvarado is going to be as unfocused as you think. To be honest, it's Rios that I have those doubts about.

I don't know how much longer Rios should really keep fighting. Fights with either Provodnikov or Matthyse might be fun to watch, but he'd get absolutely battered and I don't think he has the power to really hurt either man.

Hopefully he gets out sooner rather than later, otherwise I have no doubt that Rios will leave the sport with real permanent damage. He's already sounds like a guy who's been hit hard too many times.

Hopefully he gets out sooner rather than later, otherwise I have no doubt that Rios will leave the sport with real permanent damage. He's already sounds like a guy who's been hit hard too many times.

Yeah, it's partly why I'm not convinced his heart is really in it now. He's already taken a lot of damage, it's starting to show, and he's spoken about not wanting to fight for too long and the money needing to be right etc. Whilst that's the same principle for most fighters, when money is all a fighter is fighting for then they maybe shouldn't be in the ring.

Yeah, it's partly why I'm not convinced his heart is really in it now. He's already taken a lot of damage, it's starting to show, and he's spoken about not wanting to fight for too long and the money needing to be right etc. Whilst that's the same principle for most fighters, when money is all a fighter is fighting for then they maybe shouldn't be in the ring.

True but boxers aren't the smartest fellas. And as you say, a lot of them fight for money if not all and quite a few for too long. I agree about Rios in general, just not in this specific matchup. He's done however. After this fight, no matter the outcome, he should retire. I foresee Alvarado doing the same within a few fights if the Rios fight turns out to be ugly.

http://www.toprank.tv/index.jsp
4 PST/5 MST/6 CST/7 EST prelims-

JWW- Abner Lopez vs Aik Shakhnazarian
WW- Steve Clagget vs Konstantin Ponomarev
LHW- Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs Cory Cummings

I only watch boxing here and there.
Used to be a huge fan - then K1 came along and so on.

Is this fight something that could turn out to be great for the casual fan?

Probably, yeah. Watch their first two fights on YouTube. Technical masterclasses they are not.

Nope, just two top 75 guys fighting each other. Both guys will just stare at one another for 12 rounds.

It will be exciting...

2 Mexican Warriors going at it in the textbook Aztec warrior fighting style (Although Alvarado has tried to hone his boxing skills)

Back