Rio: two dead near Olympic Venues

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by indo80, Aug 6, 2016.

1. indo80

indo80 Purple Belt

https://www.rt.com/news/354892-rio-olympics-police-shot-dead/

2 people shot dead near Rio Olympic venues

This is how regular citizens get taken in the third or second world. The rich have made their money from the infrastructure contracts with endless supply of tax payer money and everyone else is paying for it. No third world or second world nation should bid for these games as you dont get positive coverage and the first world media is hooked on portraying the country in negative light. First world athletes cant take the malfunctioning shower curtains thus have to report it to the world via social media and than your problems are exposed to the world through a magnifying glass. What did Rio really get out it?

TheFirstEMP and Kafir-kun like this.
  2. gspieler

gspieler Silver Belt

Is normal. Brazil gonna Brazil.

KnightTemplar and Curly Peibce like this.
  3. indo80

indo80 Purple Belt

I dont think people were as aware of the crime in Rio as they are now. Brazil just spent billions upon billions for negative publicity as i doubt people are going to be going to Rio after the games end. It will take a few years before their memory erodes.

4. vertical_leap

vertical_leap Green Belt

Pretty sure everyone knew that Rio is a shithole.

5. Hearse Lightning

Hearse Lightning Not an Uber

6. Winded Walrus

Winded Walrus Purple Belt

even the mosquitoes are Third World

7437 and Curly Peibce like this.
  7. Curly Peibce

Curly Peibce Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Typical.

8. Curly Peibce

Curly Peibce Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

i was actually shit all over for stating this in some soccer thread earlier.

9. vertical_leap

vertical_leap Green Belt

Pretty delusional people then. In comparison to the rest of Brazil it might be a little better I guess.

10. Wait they (Brazil government spent billions) to attack, denounce and delegitimize Rio Janerio?

11. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

First world countries shouldnt host them either. LA is trying to get one right now, if they win i doubt ot will be good for the city.

12. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Chicago was bidding for it i think, Chicago has similar murder rates than Rio.

The issue is that a lot of the sports are really weird and there is no infrastructure for them in a single city.

13. snakedafunky

snakedafunky Red Belt

It will be harder for first world countries to find a city willing to host the Olympics because of the money involved. Not that they dont have the money but the citizens are against spending that kind of cash.
    Germany had already a few cities pull out because the citizens made a big fuss about it. Now Germany is thinking to bid on the Olympics to several cities in the Rhine Ruhr region.

As for the violence I think it is blown up a bit. While it sure is a more dangerous city than Basel, you can live there without a problem if you know what you are doing.

14. Rex Kwon Do

Rex Kwon Do ál-ḥámdúlílláh

Is normal.

I don't know about murder in Rio, but in Chicago it's extremely localized. The parts of Chicago athletes would be in are extremely first-world; Chicago is one of the nicer cities in the world. Maybe Rio is the same and the crime is localized to a relatively small area, but the fact people are dying near the venue already makes me doubt that. Murder rate is one part of the equation, but not the only one or even the most important when talking about how it will affect out-of-towners.

15. vertical_leap

vertical_leap Green Belt

In addition to this, most of the murders in Chicago are gang bangers killing each other. This may be the same in Rio but isn't it more about kidnapping and random robberies there?

16. Rex Kwon Do

Rex Kwon Do ál-ḥámdúlílláh

Good point. I have heard of kidnappings for money down there (Vitor's sister being the first one to come to mind for this MMA fan). Thankfully those aren't a phenomenon worth mentioning here; the only "kidnappings" I ever hear about are ones where one parent goes off the deep-end and takes their kid from their ex-spouse without permission.

17. indo80

indo80 Purple Belt

I knew Rio was dangerous but i still wished to visit the city as it holds a name in the world. Christ the redeemer plus the beaches are world famous, there is something beautiful about a city being looked down on by that statue. However, i'm pretty hesitant to visit it now as there has been far too negative publicity. I'm guessing the crime is probably exaggerated in media but there is no point taking that chance when you have small children to support.

18. vertical_leap

vertical_leap Green Belt

True that. There are lots of great cities you can visit around the world with much less risk.

19. punky brewster

punky brewster Red Belt

Last time I checked Rio had 4,500 intentional homicides in 2014.

20. Rygu

Rygu R.I.P. Obie Platinum Member

More shit will go down, there's no control in Rio, none.