Rio jiu jitsu or Valko bjj

Kira411

White Belt
Reaction score
Which academy would be better for someone who is into MMA and wants to fight in the future? I heard Rio is sick, but they offer only jiu jitsu while Valko also offers boxing, MT and MMA so I've heard but what about bjj which school would be better?

They are both great schools with great instructors. Your best bet is to take a intro class at both schools and just pick the one that "feels" right and matches what you want.

Good luck either way!

If your goal is MMA, then there are other places that are more MMA specific though you'd probably have to travel a bit. Flo,Jason Sullins's place in Aurora, Counterstrike MMA, Curran, etc... In the Loop area, have Valko, PeteTheGreek, Carlson Jr and Hannette/Andre Negao. The MMA places seem to be more suburban.

True True, there are places for MMA for example FLO I know its really great but its so far.

They are both great schools! If your goal is mma than I would probably lean toward Valko being that they have boxing and kickboxing! Also I think Valko will have more mma fighters and probably more higher belts! I have not been at either academy but just the impression that I got from tournaments!

Try out both school and see which one is best for you!

oh good lord. please don't let this turn into a chicago thread.

i agree to take a class or two (better idea) at both places and see which you like better. sit down and talk to the instructor and look at the students. some academies are very competition oriented where others aren't. you DO NOT want to be at an academy that isn't competition oriented if you are.

i believe jay posts here so maybe he'll reply.

Hey, Jay here. As suggested above just check out a class at each place, that's probably your best bet. We do have a few MMA fighters, the thing is that I make them wait until they're actually good at fighting before I let them in the cage (purple belt or almost, good boxing and wrestling). You're more than welcome to come by any time to check us out. We also have free open mat every Saturday so people can come in and roll around with me and my guys and see if they like. This Saturday we're not doing open mat though because I'm doing an introduction seminar for beginners (see website for more info).

Feel free to come by whenever. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jay

No problem. Just a head's up, with the intro seminar I'm doing a referral deal, anyone who refers someone who signs up gets 50% off a month's tuition. The referral also gets 50% of a month's tuition. So, let's say you came in and wanted to sign up, if you brought a friend who also signed up you'd both get 2 free weeks. If this appeals to you I'd suggest you come in sometime before Saturday and try out your free class, if you like the vibe then you can come back Saturday with a friend.

Do you have any training background?

Both are great places to learn, go to each and see which feels right.

And since we're on the topic....
Anyone know of a reputable Judo gym in the Chicago/southwest suburbs side?

Valko is one of my favorite instructors and I would be training with him if I was up there.

Both are great places to learn, go to each and see which feels right.

And since we're on the topic....
Anyone know of a reputable Judo gym in the Chicago/southwest suburbs side?

Powersource Martial Arts in Homewood, Illinois. Andre Campos is a blackbelt in judo and teaches the classes. He's also added BJJ,Muay Thai and they have a real nice facility.

I'm not sure about Judo on the south side. Tokahn is on the north side I think and they have a good reputation. RJ Cohen has been training at my place Monday and Friday's at noon. He's been helping me teaching judo and I've been helping him with his ground game. The Cohen family is pretty well respected in the Midwest for judo.

I'm not sure about Judo on the south side. Tokahn is on the north side I think and they have a good reputation. RJ Cohen has been training at my place Monday and Friday's at noon. He's been helping me teaching judo and I've been helping him with his ground game. The Cohen family is pretty well respected in the Midwest for judo.

Hey Jay, I was looking at your schedule and noticed some classes are 1h 45m long while others are 1h. Was just curious about the differences in those classes.

I'm asking because your school has peaked my interest but I'd like to know more about the different classes and why some are longer compared to others.
Also, are your classes all level friendly? I noticed there's no fundamental or advanced classes.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Jay, I was looking at your schedule and noticed some classes are 1h 45m long while others are 1h. Was just curious about the differences in those classes.

I'm asking because your school has peaked my interest but I'd like to know more about the different classes and why some are longer compared to others.
Also, are your classes all level friendly? I noticed there's no fundamental or advanced classes.

Thanks in advance.

The shorter and longer classes are pretty much to accommodate popularity and other schedule factors. The early morning class is short and only twice a week because as of right now not that many people come (4-8 per class). As it grows I'll expand it. The lunch class is longer because it's popular but not super long because a lot of people come on their lunch breaks. It tends to run longer than the scheduled 1:15 but I just let people go if they have to get back to work. The evening is the most popular class and the most accessible so it's the longest.

We mix all level but try to always keep it beginner friendly. If I happen to be teaching something kind of advanced in a week I'll have one of my purple belts take a beginner to the side and show more basic stuff. If I feel the new person can catch on I just show them whatever I'm showing.

The way I teach is a I start a position on Monday and build on it throughout the week. So, for a beginner the early in the week the better because by Thursday and Friday I tend to me going fairly fast.

No problem. Just a head's up, with the intro seminar I'm doing a referral deal, anyone who refers someone who signs up gets 50% off a month's tuition. The referral also gets 50% of a month's tuition. So, let's say you came in and wanted to sign up, if you brought a friend who also signed up you'd both get 2 free weeks. If this appeals to you I'd suggest you come in sometime before Saturday and try out your free class, if you like the vibe then you can come back Saturday with a friend.

Do you have any training background?

That sounds really good, yes I trained before in some TKD and krav maga, but I really am into MMA whenever I can I spar with a friend try out some submissions. I plan on fighting later on some amateur fights when I train long enough, that's why I was asking people which would be a better gym choice but I guess its clear that your gym is better because you also offer stand up. Tell me Jay did you ever train anyone who currently fights or fought in the UFC? I was curious about that.

I trained at Jay's for a little while last year, and also checked out Pete the Greek's. Jay's a phenomenal instructor, I loved his class/teaching style. I didn't get a chance to see Pete's teaching style, as someone else ran class that day. I remember his gym being packed at night class, and I do believe he only offers gi class- which is one of hte reasons I kept looking. Take a class with both, see where you'll learn more, but know that Rio (as far as I know) is a strictly gi bjj school- youd have to learn wrestling and standup elsewhere.

I trained with Stephan Bonnar for many years (so did Pete the Greek, we were all at Carlson's together back when Sr. was around). I cornered him in his fight against Mike Nichols and he trained at my school for that fight before he moved to Vegas. Currently Terry Martin does his ground work with us.

I have to tell you though that we are not an MMA school. We're mostly grappling with some striking classes. When someone is getting ready for a fight we do the regular grappling class then come sparring time we fight MMA with whoever is getting ready. Most people will still be rolling with their gis on while me or some of the higher belts are sparring MMA on the side.

Oh I know you're school wasn't an MMA its mostly about bjj, but its still good because you have standup striking classes

I like NewBreed and Valko for BJJ in the Chicago area if you want good MMA sparring check out Overtime in Naperville, also if you want wrestling work there isn't a better place around anywhere.

Back