Ringstar Sports to sign Mikey Garcia

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Wanderlei4Life, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Wanderlei4Life

Wanderlei4Life Red Belt

Former Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer is in talks with ex-champ Mikey Garcia in a splashy attempt to sign him to his new promotional venture, Ringstar Sports, Schaefer discussed with RingTV.com on Monday.

Schaefer is targeting Oct. 15 at Staples Center to put on his first show since his breakup with Golden Boy in 2014, and it’s clear he’s hopeful Garcia, who just made a return of his own on Saturday, will be the centerpiece of that promotion.

“I’m sure any promoter has probably reached out to Mikey and rightfully so,” Schaefer told RingTV.com. “Who wouldn’t want to promote a fighter and a young man as great inside and outside of the ring as him?”

Schaefer referenced the success he had in helping Floyd Mayweather Jr. become a PPV star as the blueprint for what he hopes to accomplish with Garcia. Schaefer believes the 28-year-old Garcia has the talent and personality to become a crossover star. “I look at what I have done, including helping Floyd become the biggest pay-per-view star of all time,” he said. “I really believe that Mikey has an opportunity to become a huge pay-per-view star. So am I interested in throwing my hat into the ring to work for Mikey in some sort of capacity? Absolutely. I have some very strong ideas for how to go about it.”

Schaefer said he spoke with Garcia (35-0, 29 knockouts) in New York in recent days and discussed the parallels in their careers. Both Schaefer and Garcia have been sidelined because of rifts with previous promoters, Garcia with Top Rank and Schaefer with Golden Boy.

“We were both sitting out for roughly the same period of time,” Schaefer said. “We were actually joking about that in New York. He’s making his comeback and I’m going to have to make my comeback. And right there we have something very strong in common.”

Schaefer plans to follow up with Garcia soon and said he may have something to announce in the coming weeks. Garcia, a former two-division champion, put Elio Rojas on the canvas four times and stopped him in the fifth round at Barclays Center in Brooklyn in his first fight since January of 2014.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/...-sign-him-to-new-company#.V6ATOfbyOkg.twitter

2. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

Mikey is bland both in and out of the ring. Really good fighter obviously, but what qualities does he have that suggest he can be a star? He's not an action fighter, and his fights often drag on without much happening until he gets them out of there. A high KO rate, but nothing particularly amazes when watching Garcia. I'd be shocked if he became a name outside of the boxing world.

3. Queen B

Queen B Yellow Card Yellow Card

Damn Schaefer better not be pouring money like Haymon did.

4. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

sounds like GGG.

5. Queen B

Queen B Yellow Card Yellow Card

I doubt this show is gonna be on a network, maybe on Showtime.

6. Shoemaker

Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    Nice, good move for Richard. Garcia might not ever be a star on Manny or Floyds scale but he's a good talent to have. With the right kind of promotion and coaching (interviews, etc) he can be a lucrative fighter. If Schaefer gets a few guys like that AND actually promotes them (unlike Roc, for instance) I don't doubt he can make something of this.

As a side note "Ringstar Sports" sounds like they'd make Winning knockoffs or something.

nac386 likes this.
  7. slivercord

slivercord Green Belt

Mikey is a great fighter, of course I see him headline a card, but ppv? Don't think so, I hope I'm wrong but to be a star he needs more. Unfortunately he doesnt trash talk, but has a Mexican fan base, let's see what happens.

8. Seano

Seano Hands of bone Yellow Card

Well... Canelo fought Khan that time!

Cheese likes this.
  9. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

Take away the KOs and it's Floyd.
    He didn't do too badly If memory serves..

10. Seano

Seano Hands of bone Yellow Card

Floyd had a personality that got people to watch his fights. Mikey Garcia has no personality.

11. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

You guys are pretty hard on Mikey Garcia. I like watching him fight. Plus he's very good, he's Mexican, he has a famous family, and he has a pretty solid fanbase already. I think it's a good signing.

Taboo, Marc A and ironfist05 like this.
  12. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

GGG is a bland, non-action fighter? That's a first.

This joke is the gift that keeps on giving. It's hilarious, and never gets old. Even when forced into places it does not seem to fit. It's like the new and improved version of Slim saying, "In before..."

xP likes this.
  13. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

its not a first but its true. GGG isnt in all out wars with his opponents,never been close to a FOTY type fight. No back in forth action that Action fighters like Gatti,Provo,Solido, bring to Action type fights.. He slowly breaks them down and carries them until he puts his foot on the gas and puts them down for good like Mikey. All his fights are the same soup, just reheated. That bland.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    nastyleft likes this.
  14. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

Golovkin doesnt typically carry guys. He has 18 knockouts in the first 3 rounds. He has 11 more inside of 8. That only leaves 6 fights his entire career that went more than 8 rounds.

Do you have to be in back and forth wars to be an action fighter? Meaning, you have to struggle a lot to be considered an action fighter?

If you have to be like Provo to be called an action fighter, then I guess I agree that Golovkin is not that.

15. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

I think of an action fighter as someone that will throw caution to the wind and rush their opponent like Rios. I see GGG more like Wlad.

GGG puts guys down early with power shots cause hits hard but I dont think that is him trying to get the early KO like young tyson, more of him just having crazy power and putting them down with 1 hard shot but i thought carried Lemi, Gabe, Wade and another I cant remember(Stevenson maybe) and yes he got them out before 8th but he never really stepped up the pressure on them, instead fought at the same pace and broke them down.

and Back and fourth isnt needed to be consider a action fighter. That was a bad comparesion on my part cause Hagler/Hearns was in The War and I dont see either of them as action fighters. Although Hearns is bored line cause he would throw caution into the wind in some fight but not Hagler.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  16. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

doesn't matter how you define it, GGG is exciting

17. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

Mikey is going to be a top fighter if he bothers to get in the ring

18. Shoemaker

Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    You mean more often?

19. Marc A

Marc A Being broke is being dishonest

Ring star sports for life !!!!

When are the gyms coming out and clothing line?

20. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

yeah