Ringside Physicians propose stopping fights after signs of a concussion

I have no issue with the ones highlighted and think it'd be far safer for the fighters.

However when you're competing in a sport where you're getting hit and kicked in the head, let's not start stopping fights because of a headache..

I don't think you have ever fought. You don't get headaches when you get hit hard. When you get a headache something is seriously, seriously wrong and you should stop immediately. I have been hit hard quite a bit and only once got a headache immediately. That shot pretty much ended my competitive career because after that I couldn't take shots anymore.

Meh. I mean I get it, and I honestly don’t blame them for wanting to put fighter safety first. Not good from a fan’s perspective though. How many classic fights and wars would we not have seen if the fight was stopped with first “signs” of a concussion. I mean after all these guys didn’t get into the sport with concerns about their health. What do I know though, I’m just a fan.

We might as well end the sport then. It would ruin it completely. I'm all for precautions for fighters, but at the end of the day, it's a fucking fight and there is going to be some risk in it.

Under these rules Robert Whitaker would have lost for sure vs Romero

Still not for them though

This makes no fucking sense. If you get punched in the head clean, you WILL get concussed, whether if its a severe concussion or minor is another debate.

Concussion is caused by your brain fluid hitting the inner side of your skull so a punch will make sure of that.

So basically they can stop the fight when a fighters gets hit clean?

Safe for the fighters, sure, but it will absolutely devastate the sport. I can think of hundreds of recent fights off of the top of my head where a fighter has been rocked bad and has come back in dramatic fashion to win the fight. Those specific instances (those Rocky moments) are the reason why I love this sport so much. Please don't take that away from me. #MakeUFCGreatAgain

Yes, please. No need for more brain damage. Fight will still be super exciting like karate combat. It will please the casuals as well.

Faster fights more finishes = win win for all

Fuck that.

It is FIGHTING.

Have them sign a waiver saying they understand that they might get CTE and keep whoever suggested this as far away from the sport and the athletic commissions as possible.

There are certain thing in life that CAN NOT be made completely safe.

Military
Combat sports
Rugby
Redneck backyard wrestling
Skateboarding
Skiing

When you participate in certain activities you expose yourself to a certain amount of risk. If you aren't comfortable with the risk, don't participate. But fuck these hall monitor- tattletale fun police. Concussions are part of fighting.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/8/...-release-new-guidelines-cte-brain-health-news

Association of Ringside Physicians release new guidelines for concussion care in MMA and boxing

On July 26th the Association of Ringside Physicians (ARP), a non-profit and non-government organization of primarily fight doctors, released a consensus statement titled Concussion management in combat sports through the British Journal of Sports Medicine. The statement includes definitions and clarifications over what constitutes a concussion, an assessment of current medical suspensions and return to sport (RTS) protocols in combat sports, and a new set of guidelines that the ARP would like to see instituted to create, what the organization believes, would be a safer environment for combat athletes.

To have fights end after signs of concussion (i.e. after a fighter is ‘rocked’ in a round and then tells a doctor in the corner that he can’t remember what happened or what day it is) instead of when a fighter is unconscious or unable to defend themselves, would demand everyone involved in combat sports to adjust their expectations and redefine their understanding of how a fight is won or lost.

“A culture shift is probably one of the hardest things to do and that’s why we need exposure and education,” said Neidecker. “We’re seeing things slowly take a turn in other sports. The NFL is a prime example of this, but they’re still having their struggles and having their hard times. But things have definitely gotten better. I can say that for sure. So again it’s just more education. It’s more exposure, it’s just kind of getting the word out there. It will take some time, but I think as we learn more and more about this injury, and we are still learning a lot more about it, the culture will follow.”

• 30/60/90 day suspensions for TKO and KOs should be expanded to not only bar a fighter from competition, but also from sparring.
  • All fighters, including the winners of a bout, should receive an in-ring/cage examination and a backstage examination by ringside physicians to look for signs of concussion.
  • Fighters should return to non-contact and conditioning training one week after TKO or KO losses and then adopt a return to fighting protocol that includes a gradual progression of intensity.
  • Zero sparring or competition if an athlete is experiencing any signs and symptoms of concussion.
  • If a fighter is exhibiting signs of concussion during a bout, the fight should be stopped. These signs include, but are not limited to headache, confusion, blurred/double vision, nausea/vomiting and balance/gait issues.
Signs of a concussion can be somewhat subjective, but it may be a good idea to protect the fighters.

People bitch when a ref stops fight unnecessarily, now we'd have a few more peeps involved that could end a fight just to be safe

I don't have a problem with this at all. There is nothing I hate more in this sport than watching someone who is barely there take a beating he doesn't need to be taking.

Technique will reign supreme. No more brutal wars where fighters lose years off their lives for a few minutes of entertainment that will be soon forgotten.

This is number 1 bs. Sjw / weak feminist culture is seeping in to fighing also now:( world is getting softer and softer.

You chose to fight you chose to have the risk of brain damage. Only thing that needs to happen is higher fighter pay so fighters actually have a reason to risk said brain damage..

Next they'll stop submissions before the fighter taps

Next?

michael_chiesa_choked_out_kevin_lee.0.jpg

mirsylvia.gif~c200

And couldn’t find a pic of Jerry Bohlander’s armlock on Kevin Jackson

CTE - Dr's can't condone getting hit in the head as safe. Unfortunately MMA entertainment thrives on the action and ability to rally back in a fight. This new rule seems sensible for safety but would be less welcome from many fans. If MMA to survive CTE concerns this safety change might be a compromise worth considering. Think will come about eventually.

This would likely do very little to benefit the fighters’ health in the long run.

I’ve heard coaches, fighters, and doctors claim that most of the long-term damage occurs during the training leading up to the fight.

Repeated head trauma from sparring, fighters not disclosing concussions before their fights, etc...

Having more fights stopped between rounds during potential barn-burners sounds like a real sport killer.

This would likely do very little to benefit the fighters’ health in the long run.

I’ve heard coaches, fighters, and doctors claim that most of the long-term damage occurs during the training leading up to the fight.

Repeated head trauma from sparring, fighters not disclosing concussions before their fights, etc...

Having more fights stopped between rounds during potential barn-burners sounds like a real sport killer.
Did you read the article?

Remember when the referee wanted to stop the fight in the Ivan Drago vs Apollo Creed fight? He was like pushing him away as he just bludgeoned poor Creed.

Back