Ring work

wenispinkle said:
coach sommer called a guy who was 5'8" , 170 lbs a "giant" of gymnastics in an article i read by him.

grady, go here

http://beastskills.com/Back lever.htm

a few pictures down he explains what a skin the cat is. then how to go into a back lever

thats a cool link, thanks for posting that.

wenispinkle said:
coach sommer called a guy who was 5'8" , 170 lbs a "giant" of gymnastics in an article i read by him.

At last, some comfort for my ego. Now I have some justification for not being able to do all those cool things.

wenispinkle said:

grady, go here

http://beastskills.com/Back lever.htm

a few pictures down he explains what a skin the cat is. then how to go into a back lever

Thanks Weni, this is exactly what I needed, I appreciate the link. I am going to try this after a few more weeks, and then proceed to back lever. I think I'll put a mat or something to break my fall before trying this inverted stuff. Looking at those pics, I wonder if that doorway pullup bar ever slipped on that guy!

Noskill - I am almost about your size (6'3", 215lb), so I don't think I will ever manage maltese or even iron cross, but many of these other exercises (dips, pullups, levers, rows, muscle-ups) I don't think will be a leverage/weight issue for me.

That guy on the rings is huge. Tieing in all those strength moves is really impressive. I only wish he looked forward during the malteses... it makes it look much better. His swing though really sucks haha. That guy is all meat and did amazing strength, and then when he did a back uprise to a handstand (at the end) he wasn't tight at all. He even bent his arms all the way on the kip to the L, and on the one to the forward roll.

Skin the cat was explained in the pictures. Its just a good shoulder stretcher.

Rjkd12 said:
That guy on the rings is huge. Tieing in all those strength moves is really impressive. I only wish he looked forward during the malteses... it makes it look much better. His swing though really sucks haha. That guy is all meat and did amazing strength, and then when he did a back uprise to a handstand (at the end) he wasn't tight at all. He even bent his arms all the way on the kip to the L, and on the one to the forward roll.

Skin the cat was explained in the pictures. Its just a good shoulder stretcher.

Been in gymnastics, have we, RJ?

Haha, yeah, I did it in highschool. I was mainly rings, but did some pommel horse just to switch it up a bit. Good times.

i wish they still had a "gym team" in high school. my grandpa used to be in one. id certainly make my best attempt at making it

hey rkjd, what kind of stuff could you do when you were in gymnastics?

My routine was a slow inlocate to a back uprise to a handstand (with bent arms). I would then fall forward and do a back uprise iron cross, then back uprise L, press handstand (with bent body, straight arms), fall chest first and do a double backflip (a more of a bird up, back off).

So, for the non gymnasts, I could do an iron cross. I worked on a back uprise cross, L cross (which later I did instead of the backuprise cross), and attempted back rolls into crosses (what the guy in the video did). I also did a split legged planche. But these things were never good enough to use in competition. I could do a back lever easily also. The rest of my stuff was swing.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/Rings/

EDIT-
check the above link, work on the basics and level a skills. most of the other stuff you'll need coaching on. another good suggestion is to use surgical tubing to lower into your iron crosses for time. another great basic skil that enhances shoulder development is basic swinging. learn to swing properly and big, in-out with the rings, etc these build tremendous functional shoulder strength.

the bottom link is another interesting read. the author is supposedly coming out with a book, i have yet to see it.

imho the iron cross for 10sec and elevator which starts from a dead hand where you proceed to raise yourself up into an iron cross would be a nice skill to aim for. it would require great body to weight strength.
to get a better description of the elevator see butterfly in the article then picture the movement upright.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-040-training

BabyPhenom said:
I can't wait for the day our gym gets the rings

a lot of gyms have suggestion boxes, i may suggest them in mine. if you recall the wsfsb routine the speed day incorporates chain supported push ups. or chain supported dips.

peregrine said:
a lot of gyms have suggestion boxes, i may suggest them in mine. if you recall the wsfsb routine the speed day incorporates chain supported push ups. or chain supported dips.

I already brought it up, we're just waiting for the other stuffs to be finished and maybe by july we'll have the rings :)

Awesome advice, Rjkd12! I don't have access to rings yet but I'm definately bookmarking this thread for when I get a chance to try them out.

chia said:
Awesome advice, Rjkd12! I don't have access to rings yet but I'm definately bookmarking this thread for when I get a chance to try them out.

After this thread was first created 7 months ago, I was strolling through one of the local Lowes hardware stores, and lo and behold, while walking passed an outdoor, kid

ENTROPY said:
After this thread was first created 7 months ago, I was strolling through one of the local Lowes hardware stores, and lo and behold, while walking passed an outdoor, kid

Back