Ring to Cage Mexican Style Headgear 3.0 review

rmphilmacrac

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The look:

It only comes in one color and its the first white headgear i ever owned. I personally like the look. The white isnt a dull ugly white either, its nice and really sort of shines under light. The black piping, dark dri max, and black ear padding also does a great job with color contrast.

Construction

Construction is pretty good. Not perfect but its acceptable for the price. The inner layer of foam is nice and soft and does a good job at shaping to your head. The dri max liner used is also soft, its not the rough version. The leather isnt as nice as the leather used on the C17s, this one isnt as soft and it feels almost a little glossy. That being said its held up fine even when grappling during some MMA. It also hasnt been marked up at all. All that being said though if you look at the flap covering the buckle you'll see the stitching is an absolute mess. It looks terrible, if i wanted to i could pick the stitching right off or rip apart the layers in the flap. The rest of the stitching on the headgear is fine, theres a couple loose threads here and there but nothing that bad.

The headgear uses a buckle closure system and i wish they didnt, its probably my least favorite closure. The belt came with a little padding on it that went under your chin but i ended up taking it off because it got in the way too much. You can take it off or put it back on, it doesnt make a difference and it also doesnt ruin the headgear because it slips off and on with no hassle. The back and top of the headgear are both lace closures and the laces used are amazing. Out of all the headgears ive used this one has had the best laces and i actually took the top one off and now i use it on the back of my Winning FG2900. They're nice and puffy laces and they're easy to push through and out of the loops unlike Winning laces where they split at the ends unless you burn them.

Performance:

This is where the headgear shines, it does a great job at absorbing any shot. The cheeks arent spread apart too much either so the cheeks also do a good job at protecting your nose. Not as good as the FG2900 or a facebar but a good job none the less. Everything else is very well protected. Theres not much to say and no real complaints when it comes to absorbing shots. This headgear did a fine job and it was my go to headgear until i got my Winning.

The problem this headgear has, the main problem is that it limits your peripheral vision. For example i remembered during the first round of sparring that i used this headgear in, my sparring partner threw a jab so i rolled my shoulder and bounced the job off of it, i also turned my head as i tucked my chin and all was fine until i was hit with another punch. I dont even know what that other punch was haha. All i remember was getting hit and backing off trying to figure out what just happened. The punch didnt hurt or anything thanks to the headgear i just literally did not see the punch coming. Usually when i roll my shoulder or turn my head with punches i can still see my opponent in the corner of my eyes at all times. In other words i usually always see if a second punch is coming and i can react to it accordingly but this time i didnt see anything hahah. It was just a bad surprise and thats really the only problem this headgear has, limited peripheral vision. So when you use it you have to take that into consideration. Besides that though, its a headgear, it protects your face, it protects your brain, it does it job pretty well.

Liner:

Like i said this headgear uses the nice soft dri max liner. Its a comfortable liner but after a couple rounds it gets soaked with sweat. I remember i let my friend use it and he sweats a lot but after 3, 5 minute rounds he took it off and i picked it up and it was just like grabbing a wet sponge. Not a big deal though like i said its comfortable and its the nice soft dri max not the rough one. I think i would prefer a leather liner though.

Sizing:

My head measures in at 23.5ins and the Large fits perfectly.

Conclusion
This is pretty good headgear. Like i said i used this before i got my FG2900, the peripheral problem is annoying but not too bad. The protection makes up for it. The price i dont remember how much i got it for but i knew it was under $70 and on amazon this thing costs around $45. For that price this headgear is more than worth it. Theres not much more to say, great headgear for that Amazon price. Theres definitely better headgear out there but for $45 this might be the most protective or one of the most protective ones out there.

Pros
+construction
+protection
+laces
+size
+leather exterior
+price

-/+liner
-/+buckle closure

-peripheral vision

Dhlck9f.jpg

d6urNn4.jpg

rJBC7Sp.jpg

You are becoming quite the review master!!! Another excellent one. I've been eyeing this headgear for awhile. I might just pull the trigger on it!!! Thanks for putting this up!

You are becoming quite the review master!!! Another excellent one. I've been eyeing this headgear for awhile. I might just pull the trigger on it!!! Thanks for putting this up!
Thanks again man. I might be putting up another review later tonight im just not sure of what yet haha. But yeah this is a good headgear. Id suggest getting it off of amazon. $45 is an amazing price and it makes the headgear more than worth it. Great at absorbing shots, pretty comfortable, decent construction, decent nose protection all for $45 is a great deal. Like i said though that peripheral vision gets limited so just keep that in mind.

Thanks again man. I might be putting up another review later tonight im just not sure of what yet haha. But yeah this is a good headgear. Id suggest getting it off of amazon. $45 is an amazing price and it makes the headgear more than worth it. Great at absorbing shots, pretty comfortable, decent construction, decent nose protection all for $45 is a great deal. Like i said though that peripheral vision gets limited so just keep that in mind.

With my cat-like reflexes, the vision won't be a problem....lmao. Going to hit up Amazon now.

Great review again bro you have it really dialed in now i think. Honest review, here sre the missing pieces to the puzzle.

Yeah this headgear had severe vision issues which is why I worked with Mohsin on the new fg 2900 inspired headgear. And as u said the padding was "Good enough" but not great

The shiny leather is buffalo leather.

Great review my friend keep up the good work

With my cat-like reflexes, the vision won't be a problem....lmao. Going to hit up Amazon now.
Haha i hope you like it man! But yeah like Strato said dont forget about the new model. Im excited to get my hands on that one

Great review again bro you have it really dialed in now i think. Honest review, here sre the missing pieces to the puzzle.

Yeah this headgear had severe vision issues which is why I worked with Mohsin on the new fg 2900 inspired headgear. And as u said the padding was "Good enough" but not great

The shiny leather is buffalo leather.

Great review my friend keep up the good work
What leather is used on the FG2900 inspired one?

And also thanks for the read!

Its going to be the same leather used on the c17s MiMs etc

Haha i hope you like it man! But yeah like Strato said dont forget about the new model. Im excited to get my hands on that one

Its ordered and on its way. Ended up paying a little over half being that I still had some credit left over on Amazon. Thanks again for finally putting this up. As for the new headgear coming out.....if this one works fine....then I have no need for the Winning inspired one.

Its ordered and on its way. Ended up paying a little over half being that I still had some credit left over on Amazon. Thanks again for finally putting this up. As for the new headgear coming out.....if this one works fine....then I have no need for the Winning inspired one.
Alright i got you man thats awesome. I hope you like it then!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back