Ring to Cage 16oz Training Gloves

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by StRatoCastR, May 12, 2014.

1. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Another day, another review.
    So I've been getting some PMs from some sherdoggers, asking when im going to start reviewing some budget gloves. Ive reviewed various Customs, Winnings, Reyes, and many other gloves. But time and time again, Ive been asked "StRat, when are you going to review some more budget gloves? Not everyone has a ton of money to spend on gloves." So here we are, I had a buddy who needed a pair of gloves so I decided to get him these pair for his B-day, off the Ring to Cage website. I myself didn't want to drop too much cash, and I wasn't so sure how serious he would be about boxing, and I wasn't about to get him some Everlast stuff either. And... my badboys... well I couldn't do that to him either.

So enter the Ring to Cage 16oz Training glove.

The Look:
    The look is half leather, half synthetic material. I like the pattern of the synthetic red on it, though staying true to my word Im still not a fan of synthetic. Though it does look good. I also like the small bowtie R2C logo on the glove, I myself have used it on custom gloves before, and I like it! The glove feels somewhat stiff to the touch, very Ringside-ish in terms of the foam, feels a lot more like their IMF than the traditional nice and soft MiM that Ring to Cage is known for.

The Wrist closure is a small fully elastic closure, and there is a regular ring to cage stitched logo on the cuff. Flipping the glove over, similar to Hayabusa the elastic over the palm is also on the exterior. I like the 3 color combo Mohsin did on this, Black, red and a hint of white. Last but not least the glove is equipped with a standard grip bar and thumblock.

The Feel:

Like I stated before, this definitely feels like Ringside IMF, and for those that are familiar its somewhat stiff, has good absorption but it does recoil a bit. Unlike most Ring to Cage gloves this glove is NOT broken in, this glove needed several rounds to break in, and it still needs some more time to be honest.

Also, like traditional Ringside IMF, the glove is heavily pre-curved so that at times it is very hard to land on the knuckle, but its very protective so that is the trade off.

The thumb itself is pretty ideal and sits well in its position, feels natural.

When hitting the mitts and the bag, the gloves do generate a pop but not as loud as other gloves that I have reviewed.

The glove closes relatively easy, but again it needs to be broken in. Because of the same Ringside IMF feel, the glove is impossible to open all the way.

The Wrist support isn't the best, its actually better than it looks because of the stiff foam cuff, but it is nothing to rave about either. I put it on par with the triumph united wrists or venum wrists for those that are familiar. For those that aren't these get a C in terms of wrist support.

I don't think these have the dri-max liner, the liner is good but it isn't dri-max. The gloves do manage to stay cool however.

Also, with budget gloves, Velcro generally SUCKS, this Velcro is just as good as the regular ring to cage too, so you wont get the Velcro flop after a hand full of uses.

The Padding:

2 inches of Injected Molded foam. Again the padding is stiff, the description reads that this is suitable for sparring, bag, and pad work on the Ring to cage website:

http://www.ringtocage.com/training-gloves/

I think they are only suited for sparring AFTER a heavy breaking in period. The padding does really good protecting the wearers hands, I made sure the padding felt good before I handed these off to my buddy.

Weight:
    These gloves are 16oz and came in at 16.1oz

Price:
    $59.99

Overall:

I think these are very good starter to intermediate gloves, however someone with more experience, you will outgrow these quickly. I think you are better suited dropping more cash on the C17 or Deluxe MiM (Non safety strap) depending on what your budget may be. But if you are just starting out and looking for quality starting gloves these are a good place to start. The gloves offer a lot of protection, and the gloves feel durable and the colorway is nice. Most starter gloves are ugly as crap imo, these aren't.

Score B / 83%

For those that do not like to read (

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. StRatoCastR

3. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

Another solid review!!!!! R2C makes a damn decent budget glove. I have a pair of the Gym Training gloves and love them:)

4. Cheap Shot

Cheap Shot I've been a member long enough to get a title...

These are the economy gloves we get for our guys to spar with. Some of them have broken down quite badly, but for economy gloves they're very solid. I'll see if I can take some pics of a few pairs tomorrow at the gym to show how they wear after 6-8 months pf heavy sparring use.

Great review.

5. StRatoCastR

Yeah cheap shot, it would be interesting to see a heavily used glove.

CS would u buy them again is the question?

6. Cheap Shot

For the price, especially at wholesale for the gym, they're a solid beginner/intermediate glove. Done a few orders for them and I'm happy enough with them that I'd reorder and recommend them to someone starting out.

For the next bulk order at the gym, I am going to grab some Ringside Apex gloves and the Predators for sparring. Prices are comparable and I'll likely re-order whichever are nicer and/or preferred by members.

Plan on ordering in the next month, so I'll update in a bit to see how they stack up.

7. StRatoCastR

Yeah youll have to keep us posted the apex are 100% synthetic but im more curious about the imf

8. Cheap Shot

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gloves are less than a year old and see a moderate amount of use, mostly for sparring. The biggest flaws:

- Serious glove acne issue. The IMF has broken down considerably especially on the left glove.
    - The left glove is splitting on the outside seem. I have two pairs with the same issue, both on the left glove.

That being said, the leather as a whole is in decent shape for the amount of use, and the velcro is still very strong.

Still a very good choice for a beginner or someone new to sparring in my opinion.

9. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

What price do you get these at for your gym, CS?

10. StRatoCastR

With only moderate use the glove seemed to break down quickly. Also the left glove looks deflated lol.

11. Cheap Shot

About $30. Excellent at that price for someone starting, worth it at $60 as well IMO.

Again, curious how they stack up against the Apex from Ringside.

12. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Bargain pricing! Even cheaper than Neverlast (Un)Pro-Styles!

13. StRatoCastR

so CS did you order Apex, or not yet?

14. Blair Dennett

Blair Dennett Purple Belt Professional Fighter

Excellent review mate. Those photos CS took are extremely disappointing, even for $30 IMO.

You'd be crazy not to get some KO fight gear gloves instead for about the same price. Way better quality in every respect.

15. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

I was going to mention the KOFGs like Blair. Why would you recommend these at $60? Because of the padding and shape of the glove, being safer for sparring? Obviously there are gloves which will last longer that cost less

16. Cheap Shot

Strato: Not yet, should be doing it in the next few days.

Denno: For $30 they're a steal. They're super beat up now, but you have to keep in mind that they've been used consistently for about 8 months. Being a pair of gym gloves and not personal use gloves, you have to imagine they aren't maintained as well.

Mino and Denno: I have no experience with KO's, so I can't compare the 2. The KO's may very well be far superior gloves, I just can't make the claim personally.

As far as why I think they're good for $60:

- Mostly leather
    - Good protection for wearer and sparring partner
    - Cheap price for someone who doesn't know how committed they will be to the sport

Am I wrong in thinking that the KO's have a Thai style cut?

http://www.kofightgear.com/sparring_gloves.htm

Not sure my guys would like them if that were the case, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying them.

17. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

Youre not wrong, they are made like a Thai glove.

I have a feeling these gloves are going to be a great option at $60

http://gsboxing.com/details.php?iD=1-0-0-7

My friend bought a pair four or five years ago in New York and they are still holding up well. Not sure if they are constructed in the same way now.

18. Cheap Shot

Very cool. Might have to pick up a pair of the KO's and those G&S's. Based on the pictures alone, the KO's look to be really well made, especially considering the price.

Always looking for good, cheap options for my entry level guys. Thanks!

19. StRatoCastR

Community gloves are often treated terribly in most cases. Even some of the higher end gloves wouldnt last when kicked around like that, people use duct tape on bags and all kinds of weird shit.