Ring A - Z Best of Alltime

heavyarms21

Ryozanpaku Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
If you have been paying attention to the Ring Magazine Blogs, they are currently in the Process of counting Down the Best Fighters from A to Z, one fighter profile a day for 26 days.

So far they have

A. Henry Armstrong

B. Charlie Burley

C. Ezzard Charles

D. Roberto Duran

E. Flash Elorde

F. George Foreman

Choosing Armstrong over Ali was a bit of a minor upset because of Ali's popularity, but Hammerin Hank was far and away the better boxer.

I've seen the articles, and was going to make a thread to see who guessed the fighters The Ring would choose for each letter, but a lot of my picks were wrong. Fun idea for a series.

I'm surprised they didn't pick Dela Hoya for D........ I kid , I kid

Gavilan - wow! Greb, Gans
Hearns - wow! Holmes, Holyfield, Hagler, Harada, Hopkins
I
Jones (Roy)
Ketchel (Stanley)
Leonard (Sugar Ray not Benny)
Moore (Archie)
Nelson (Azumah)
Ortiz (Carlos)
Pacquiao (Manny)
Q
Robinson (Sugar Ray)
Sanchez (Salvador)
Tunney (Gene)
U
Villa (Pancho)
Wilde (Jimmy)
X
Y
Zarate (Carlos)

i like, but i gotta go with terry norris over azumah nelson and pernell whitaker over wilde

G would probably belong to Greb, with gans a close second.

H... hmm, ariel hernandex.

I... fuck me this is harder than it looks.

Oh, Mavin Hagler silly me

i like, but i gotta go with terry norris over azumah nelson and pernell whitaker over wilde

no no no,
Wilde over Pea. No disrespect to Pernell but Wilde all time greatest in his weight class.

Hmmm, Monzon or Marciano. Tough call.

Louis or Lewis. I guess Louis.

no doubt, wilde was a badass, just too little footage for me to truly judge him objectively

I'm guessing H will be Larry Holmes, pretty sure L will be Joe Louis.

L , is either going to be Ray Leonard or Joe Louis, tough call

no no no,
Wilde over Pea. No disrespect to Pernell but Wilde all time greatest in his weight class.

W is no slouch in terms of the quality fighters, you can throw Jersey Joe Walcott as a possible choice too.

not sure if charles deserves it over chavez

not sure if charles deserves it over chavez

You get make that Arguement that charles was the greatest lightheavyweight of all time, even though he fought at heavyweight he was always usually around 175, and he fought in an era littered with all time greats

You get make that Arguement that charles was the greatest lightheavyweight of all time, even though he fought at heavyweight he was always usually around 175, and he fought in an era littered with all time greats

No doubt he's an absolutely fantastic all-time great. Chavez to me is a legend tho.

I would bet that L is Joe Louis. Pep is a lock at P, and Robinson is a lock at R. Pretty certain Hagler is a lock at H, too...

Last edited:
I would bet that L is Joe Louis. Pep is a lock at P, and Robinson is a lock at R. Pretty certain Hagler is a lock at H, too...

I wud agree, although Robinson should be a lock at S. ;)

Gavilan at G. The guys highlights are some of my favorites. He was a terrific fighter...

article-0-007A943800000258-463_468x332.jpg

Back