Rigs and Carriers

no- but there are about 100 other things I'd be doing before purchasing one of those as a civilian. Funny working overseas we relished opportunities to NOT wear all that stuff yet civilians all over the US on weekend warrior courses love them. But each to their own!
most women hate bras but wear them any way.

I hated wearing our shitty carriers and plates on watch, but I had no problem wearing them because hopefully it would save my life if bad shit happened.

Same thing, I now have a carrier and plate just in case. Haven’t worn it to any classes but did wear it under a jacket while Pokémon go-ing and under my gi top to get used to it. In the dojo it also just worked like a weight vest training aid.

Just because you have it and wear it occasionally doesn’t mean you enjoy it.

no- but there are about 100 other things I'd be doing before purchasing one of those as a civilian. Funny working overseas we relished opportunities to NOT wear all that stuff yet civilians all over the US on weekend warrior courses love them. But each to their own!

Eeesh, If I didn't already have one from work, a PC as a civi would have been my third purchase after rifle and a handgun. Instead I stocked up on medical shit. (Prevention is worth a pound of cure, hah!)

most women hate bras but wear them any way.

I hated wearing our shitty carriers and plates on watch, but I had no problem wearing them because hopefully it would save my life if bad shit happened.

Same thing, I now have a carrier and plate just in case. Haven’t worn it to any classes but did wear it under a jacket while Pokémon go-ing and under my gi top to get used to it. In the dojo it also just worked like a weight vest training aid.

Just because you have it and wear it occasionally doesn’t mean you enjoy it.

<6>
Hopefully you weren't training with ceramic plates?

Also, was it easy to find combatives training in your area as a civi? I noticed that just is not a thing...anywhere I've looked. I'm not really into the sport aspect of BJJ anymore, the "Krav" places are marketed for women, kids, and midlife crisis accountants, and there's nothing in my area (a decently large city) that has anything that allows FoF combatives applications like when I was in the Navy.

<6>
Hopefully you weren't training with ceramic plates?

Also, was it easy to find combatives training in your area as a civi? I noticed that just is not a thing...anywhere I've looked. I'm not really into the sport aspect of BJJ anymore, the "Krav" places are marketed for women, kids, and midlife crisis accountants, and there's nothing in my area (a decently large city) that has anything that allows FoF combatives applications like when I was in the Navy.
no, I was training using steel plates. Ceramics are what we got in the navy and I didn’t like how much they interferes with my range of motion in the arms from being like 2” thick.

Not sure what you mean with your combatives question, so I’m going to answer based on my best guess what you mean.

The dojo I came up in traditional goju ryu, the owner focused a lot on harder training than what I’ve observed in other dojos, because teaching was a hobby, and if students got mad and left he’d take care of the dojo out of his own pocket, so Saturday morning sparring sessions were typically medium-full contact.

At the time I wore the plate to class the head instructor thought the sunshine’s put my ass(legit liked me more than his own children), so he didn’t really care what I did as long as it wasn’t obviously dangerous to others.

Hope that answered the question.

Back