Rigondeaux vs Donaire 4/13 **All updates and discussion here

OMG, how many people in a boxing forum that are unfamiliar with the elements of boxing, to assess rigo

Wait, Donaire-Rigs is scheduled for 4 rounds? :icon_chee

Pro experience

Two Rhodes scholars over here. You do realize boxing is boxing across amateur and pro leagues, right? Rigondeaux is familiar enough with the game itself that experience is just a dumb thing to pin against him. In some hundreds of fights I promise he's fought more than four rounds. I promise. If I'm wrong, you can have my testicles.

Two Rhodes scholars over here. You do realize boxing is boxing across amateur and pro leagues, right? Rigondeaux is familiar enough with the game itself that experience is just a dumb thing to pin against him. In some hundreds of fights I promise he's fought more than four rounds. I promise. If I'm wrong, you can have my testicles.

I would never have highlighted that the guy was saying Pro experience (something I don't even agree with) if I knew it would get me this backlash

So in other words, you don't have an answer. I don't care if there's shit about Donaire's style you particularly don't like, or if you're just focusing on that he's fast and has a punch, Donaire is NOT a superior athlete to every single person he's been in the ring with thus far. There are good reasons he was HEAVILY predicted to lose to Darchinyan, and at a weight where Vic was knocking everybody stupid. Darchinyan was thought to be stronger, more durable, have more stamina, and hit considerably harder than Donaire, who at the time, had nearly every DISadvantage imaginable except for MAYBE speed. But he skillfully walked Vic into multiple left hooks all night long until the one landed that put him to sleep. If that's not what a technician would do, I don't know what is.

He holds a distinct speed advantage over people, that much is true, but he's no Roy Jones in that he's built completely on his athleticism. He wasn't stronger than Vasquez, and he had significant disadvantages against Mathebula who up until that point had only lost HOTLY disputed split-decisions in recent memory.

I'm not a big fan of Donaire for the simple reason that he boasts about being gigantic between fights, suggesting that he only makes weight to fight smaller guys, but if he can make the weight then no one can really fault him for that inside the ring (unlike Broner, who does the same shit but DOESN'T make weight). However, to say he's not a technical fighter is just plain asinine. This is a guy who has been fighting people Southpaw half the time just because he CAN. And until he turns it on in fights, not a lot happens because he's taking his time and assessing his opponents. Which is precisely how a technician works.

That's not a great example. Donaire was considered to be at a disadvantage because at that time his skillset was relatively unknown. Darchinyan was making a mess of the division, but Donaire was pretty much an unknown entity.

Fast forward a few years and it's crystal clear that Donaire was faster, more athletic, had at least comparable stamina and has KO power. So I agree, there's little to suggest that he cant dominate in a fight where he is physically overmatched. We haven't ever seen such a fight.

nah, people will just point to the elephant in the room : rigo getting hurt by anything meaningfull that lands , even from subpar opponents

And the other elephant in the room : rigo coming back and still winning easily.

Where is his TKO loss?

ABS-CBN news are apparently reporting Donaire vs Rigo is on. They have exclusive TV rights with TR and Arum so they'd likely be given the first word.

Thank you

No thank you

It isn't a dumb thing. Until he proves it wrong that stigma will hang over his head whether it's truth or not. Here's his chance to prove it wrong. Also, can you sustain a cut in amateur boxing and continue? Knockdowns and scoring are different in the amateurs etc... so it isn't dumb.

I will say Rigs' talent cannot be debated. His skills pay the bills so if pointing to his amateur background is considered one of his weaknesses, that's actually a good thing.

Last edited:
Thank you

No thank you

It isn't a dumb thing. Until he proves it wrong that stigma will hang over his head whether it's truth or not. Here's his chance to prove it wrong. Also, can you sustain a cut in amateur boxing and continue? Knockdowns and scoring are different in the amateurs etc... so it isn't dumb.

I will say Rigs' talent cannot be debated. His skills pay the bills so if pointing to his amateur background is considered one of his weaknesses, that's actually a good thing.

I took those things into consideration already. I don't think experience in being bloody or knocked out is necessary in proving a fighter's worthiness of a title bout. We usually tend to think guys who get beat down in professional fights are gatekeepers or journeymen and not elite. It's basically saying Rigondeaux should be beat, shot and old before he can deserve a fight with Nonito. That would remove the appeal of the fight. We don't want a shot, beat to hell, "too experienced" Rigo fighting Nonito. Even still, just what is "inexperience" and "experience"? How many fights do you need to officially become "experienced" professionally? Nobody tells us the measuring mark for these things.

I took those things into consideration already. I don't think experience in being bloody or knocked out is necessary in proving a fighter's worthiness of a title bout. We usually tend to think guys who get beat down in professional fights are gatekeepers or journeymen and not elite. It's basically saying Rigondeaux should be beat, shot and old before he can deserve a fight with Nonito. That would remove the appeal of the fight. We don't want a shot, beat to hell, "too experienced" Rigo fighting Nonito. Even still, just what is "inexperience" and "experience"? How many fights do you need to officially become "experienced" professionally? Nobody tells us the measuring mark for these things.

The measuring stick are fights like the one with Donaire. This fight is similar to when Mayweather fought Hernandez...think about how you felt about that fight before it took place. Here's his chance to prove the doubters wrong. History and resumes were saying this is a MAJOR step up for Mayweather and that ended up being wrong. Story changed once the bell rang.

I agree experience in being cut, knocked down doesn't prove a fighter's worthiness for title fight his resume does, but I do think it should be his Pro resume. There are definitely fighters in the division that I think deserve this fight more than Rigs' but the cold war/financial issues won't allow it. His promoter has a major role in making this fight a reality for Rigs.

I think the hype that surrounds Rigs is legit and a lot of is about what he's going to do and not what he's done in the pro ranks. It's a fair criticism until proven wrong.

There are lot of fighters in the past (this weekend) who couldn't or won't fight through cuts, knockdowns, broken noses and there's are also fighters who became elite because they could fight through cuts, knockdowns, and fouls etc ...but we don't know about a fighters reaction until it happens.

Last edited:
nah, people will just point to the elephant in the room : rigo getting hurt by anything meaningfull that lands , even from subpar opponents

Excuse me, how many knock downs Rigo has suffered? None? Then your are talking nonsense

Excuse me, how many knock downs Rigo has suffered? None? Then your are talking nonsense

He didn't respond well to punches in his last fight to be fair.

And the other elephant in the room : rigo coming back and still winning easily.

.......against subpar opponents

he didn't look that good against his only borderline world class opposition ( cordoba)

Where is his TKO loss?

it's in the making....

2 : one from a jab against cordoba , the other against marroquin

0:40
2:00

do you think donaire won't be able to land any of those? i doubt it

I'm fairly certain Cordoba put him down and while Marroquin may not have dropped him he did have him pretty badly wobbled twice.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=61868#ixzz2JNcfVGn8

By Jhonny Gonzalez

BoxingScene.com was advised by several sources that a deal is nearly complete for a super bantamweight unification between champions Nonito Donaire (31-1, 20KOs) and Guillermo Rigondeaux (11-0, 8KOs). The match would take place on an HBO televised date of April 13th, in New York or Los Angeles.

Rigondeaux's manager, Gary Hyde, has confirmed that he received an official contract for the match. And the Rigondeaux team have told BoxingScene that they are "happy with the contract in principle and hope to have it signed this week."

Donaire will face a very stiff test in Rigondeaux, considered by many experts as one of best fighters in the history of amateur boxing and a two-time Olympic gold medal winner.

Both fighters are promoted by Top Rank.

Golden Boy Promotions have been pushing very hard for a unification between Donaire and WBC champion Abner Mares. A few days ago, Golden Boy issued an offer of $3 million dollars to Top Rank for the services of Donaire. While the offer was very generous, there were very few insiders who actually believed the deal would come together.

Pacquiao Jr finally fights a tough opponent, congrats.
The Jackal by 10th round KO.

Better drop money on Donaire. Rigos porcelain will be shattered.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=61936#ixzz2JbxOqRyx

By Rick Reeno

WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (11-0, 8KOs) is attempting to drop his current trainer, Jorge Rubio, in order to hire Pedro Diaz - who trains Miguel Cotto, Odlanier Solis and several others.

Rigondeaux's manager, Gary Hyde, does not agree with his fighter. Hyde believes, and rightfully so, that Rigondeaux should not switch trainers with the biggest fight of his career coming up. Rigondeaux, who will reportedly earn a career high $750,000 dollars, will take on WBO champion Nonito Donaire in a high profile HBO televised unification on April 13th.

According to news reports circulating in Miami, Rigondeaux is enticed to make the switch because Diaz's services would cost him less money than what is currently being paid to Rubio.

"Rigo has already left two world class trainers, Freddie Roach and Ronnie Shields, [and] as Rigo's manager I have to protect his interests and changing trainers going into the biggest fight of his career is not in his interest. Jorge Rubio and [conditioning coach] DJ Montanocordoba have transformed Rigo from the fighter that fought Cordoba in November 2010 to one of the hottest names in boxing and helped him to get to the position he is in now as the number one ranked fighter in the ring magazine rankings," Hyde stated to BoxingScene.com.

People read too much into some of these shots. I didn't see Rigo even close to being stopped. People pretend like great fighters can't get hurt.

Better drop money on Donaire. Rigos porcelain will be shattered.

Worst case scenario for Rigo is he gets on his bicycle if he ever tastes Donaire's power

Rigo is quite a step beyond Donaire's previous opponents, I would be very surprised if Donaire stops him despite what is being made about his chin.

Back