Rigondeaux vs Donaire 4/13 **All updates and discussion here

Some people use the term "Technician" too loosely when a fighter elects to box, he's certainly very well rounded in all aspects of the game he can brawl, box and counterpunch, so does that make him a technician?

Yes.

Donaire is not a 'technician'. If you can apply the title of technician to him, you can apply the title of slugger, too. And you can apply the title of technician to basically any fighter with a strong base in fundamentals and technique. He's just a boxer-puncher. A technician wins fights through the use of pure skill and the chess match aspect of the sweet science. This does not describe the way Donaire wins fights. He wins through a combination of skill, brute force, stamina, athleticism and (though its a different topic all together) being bigger and more in prime than his opponents.

Last edited:
Donaire is not a 'technician'. If you can apply the title of technician to him, you can apply the title of slugger, too. And you can apply the title of technician to basically any fighter with a strong base in fundamentals and technique. He's just a boxer-puncher. A technician wins fights through the use of pure skill and the chess match aspect of the sweet science. This does not describe the way Donaire wins fights. He wins through a combination of skill, brute force, stamina, athleticism and (though its a different topic all together) being bigger and more in prime than his opponents.

You can apply the term "technician" to any fighter with a strong base in fundamentals and technique, yes, I certainly agree with that. That a "technician" hits hard, does not negate that he is indeed a technician.

You can apply the term "technician" to any fighter with a strong base in fundamentals and technique, yes, I certainly agree with that. That a "technician" hits hard, does not negate that he is indeed a technician.

Obviously it depends on what your definition of 'technician' is. To me it takes more than simply being a well trained. There are thousands of well trained fighters in the sport. To me a technician is someone who can win a fight against just about all disadvantages except skill. James Toney is the perfect example. He can just plod around the ring against a guy who is in overwhelmingly superior physical condition, and still win handily. To me that is worthy of the technician title. Donaire can't do that so to me describing him as a technician doesn't make sense.

What makes you say that Donaire is incapable of doing that?

Ummm...what makes you think he can? He hasn't shown any evidence of that particular ability.

That's not an answer. That's you stating something that is purely a non-precise opinion. Please clarify why you believe that Nonito Donaire is incapable of winning a fight when possibly over-matched athletically, by use of his skill.

That's not an answer. That's you stating something that is purely a non-precise opinion. Please clarify why you believe that Nonito Donaire is incapable of winning a fight when possibly over-matched athletically, by use of his skill.

???

He simply has not shown any evidence that he has that level of skill. Am I just supposed to assume he does?

???

He simply has not shown any evidence that he has that level of skill. Am I just supposed to assume he does?

So in other words, you don't have an answer. I don't care if there's shit about Donaire's style you particularly don't like, or if you're just focusing on that he's fast and has a punch, Donaire is NOT a superior athlete to every single person he's been in the ring with thus far. There are good reasons he was HEAVILY predicted to lose to Darchinyan, and at a weight where Vic was knocking everybody stupid. Darchinyan was thought to be stronger, more durable, have more stamina, and hit considerably harder than Donaire, who at the time, had nearly every DISadvantage imaginable except for MAYBE speed. But he skillfully walked Vic into multiple left hooks all night long until the one landed that put him to sleep. If that's not what a technician would do, I don't know what is.

He holds a distinct speed advantage over people, that much is true, but he's no Roy Jones in that he's built completely on his athleticism. He wasn't stronger than Vasquez, and he had significant disadvantages against Mathebula who up until that point had only lost HOTLY disputed split-decisions in recent memory.

I'm not a big fan of Donaire for the simple reason that he boasts about being gigantic between fights, suggesting that he only makes weight to fight smaller guys, but if he can make the weight then no one can really fault him for that inside the ring (unlike Broner, who does the same shit but DOESN'T make weight). However, to say he's not a technical fighter is just plain asinine. This is a guy who has been fighting people Southpaw half the time just because he CAN. And until he turns it on in fights, not a lot happens because he's taking his time and assessing his opponents. Which is precisely how a technician works.

What I see when I watch Donaire fight is a guy who is bigger, stronger, and faster than his opponents. He's a well trained, fundamentally sound boxer. He has never put on a Mayweather or Toney type performance where he exerts almost nothing physically and still wins by a mile. I don't necessarily think he's incapable of such a performance, but I don't understand why I should assume he is capable and therefore deserves the title of 'technician'.

Both Donaire and Rigo are definitely technicians which is why I'm so pumped for this fight. Rigo is one of the best amateurs of all time and Donaire has been on a tear for years now.

Also I would say Donaire has one of the most beautiful and technical hooks I've ever seen. The fact that he's naturally left handed gives a naturally finesse punch in the hook a hell of a lot of power as well and that's a lethal combination.

I said it before, imo Donaire's hook and Rigo's counter left hand are two of the most devastating punches in Boxing. This could be a boring fight but I'm pumped to see it. REally like both of these guys.

So in other words, you don't have an answer. I don't care if there's shit about Donaire's style you particularly don't like, or if you're just focusing on that he's fast and has a punch, Donaire is NOT a superior athlete to every single person he's been in the ring with thus far. There are good reasons he was HEAVILY predicted to lose to Darchinyan, and at a weight where Vic was knocking everybody stupid. Darchinyan was thought to be stronger, more durable, have more stamina, and hit considerably harder than Donaire, who at the time, had nearly every DISadvantage imaginable except for MAYBE speed. But he skillfully walked Vic into multiple left hooks all night long until the one landed that put him to sleep. If that's not what a technician would do, I don't know what is.

He holds a distinct speed advantage over people, that much is true, but he's no Roy Jones in that he's built completely on his athleticism. He wasn't stronger than Vasquez, and he had significant disadvantages against Mathebula who up until that point had only lost HOTLY disputed split-decisions in recent memory.

I'm not a big fan of Donaire for the simple reason that he boasts about being gigantic between fights, suggesting that he only makes weight to fight smaller guys, but if he can make the weight then no one can really fault him for that inside the ring (unlike Broner, who does the same shit but DOESN'T make weight). However, to say he's not a technical fighter is just plain asinine. This is a guy who has been fighting people Southpaw half the time just because he CAN. And until he turns it on in fights, not a lot happens because he's taking his time and assessing his opponents. Which is precisely how a technician works.

Well said. My worry about the fight is that Rigo won't be able to hurt Donaire, and Donaire will take his punches like nothing and then respond with those counter left hooks all fight.

If Rigo can't get Donaire's respect early, I don't think he can win the fight. I'm just being honest. He has to do damage early on.

What I see when I watch Donaire fight is a guy who is bigger, stronger, and faster than his opponents. He's a well trained, fundamentally sound boxer. He has never put on a Mayweather or Toney type performance where he exerts almost nothing physically and still wins by a mile. I don't necessarily think he's incapable of such a performance, but I don't understand why I should assume he is capable and therefore deserves the title of 'technician'.

It just seems like you define "technician" by laziness, or a guy being conservative, which in a sport like this, is absurd.

Well said. My worry about the fight is that Rigo won't be able to hurt Donaire, and Donaire will take his punches like nothing and then respond with those counter left hooks all fight.

If Rigo can't get Donaire's respect early, I don't think he can win the fight. I'm just being honest. He has to do damage early on.

Rigo has as dangerous a left hand as anyone in the Sport right now. If he can land it on Donaire, it'll hurt even if Donaire is 150lbs on the night of the fight.

It just seems like you define "technician" by laziness, or a guy being conservative, which in a sport like this, is absurd.

Whats absurd to me is assuming Donaire is capable of skill level he has never displayed.

I've got to admit that I question Donaire's ability to beat someone more athletically gifted than he is.

Whats absurd to me is assuming Donaire is capable of skill level he has never displayed.

No worries, if you're going to continually hold onto that it's all good. You've made your definition of a "technician" distinct, and that you feel Donaire is merely a superior athlete than everyone he's beaten. You're absolutely free to feel that way, it just demonstrates your own level of assessing a fighter's worth is all.

I, for one, am looking forward to this potential snoozer. Not sure who I favor.

I dont think it will be a snoozer, it will be a career defining fight for the victor. Has any more concrete information from a reliable source come out? Will this be PPV?

Rewatched Donaire/Vasquez Jr. last night. I think this fight could look very similar. Not to say Vasquez and Rigo fight similarly, but it'll keep the same pace.

Back