Rigondeaux footwork

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Token7, May 24, 2014.

1. Token7

Token7 Banned Banned

I know this has been posted here before that's how I initially seen it but I can't remember the thread and if there was a breakdown on it.

It's Rigondeaux sparring and using some very interesting foot work / angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5DuQySV36g

Starts around 6:15

What exactly is this and what is he accomplishing? Because at some level of thought it looks to just confuse his opponents but it's so awkward but another point is he is actually creating angles and changing his rhythm up.

2. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

He's just being flashy because he can get away with it. Against another fighter with his athleticism and IQ, i doubt you'd see it.

Don't look too much into it.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  3. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

In th existing thread on Cuban footwork, Sully noted that misdirection is possibly the key ingredient. Midirection, deception.

4. ZroC

ZroC Silver Belt

I didn't see much in that session that looked different to how he normally fights. In fact he looked flashier when he completely schooled Donaire.

5. fightingrabbit

fightingrabbit Banned Banned

I was specifically referring to the part TS mentioned at 6:15 where he starts leaping around and switching his feet around. The movement is superfluous and doesn't really accomplish anything. If he was doing it on Donaire, well like i said, Donaire just didn't have what it took to capitalize on it.

I liken it to when that video was going around of Donaire doing a 'Dempsey Roll'. It was just a bunch of jumping around. Just people being fixated on the excessive movement.