right cross over the jab?

ddman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
When fighting somebody who has a good right cross/overhand right and good timing, how do you jab and still be safe? This guy has good accuracy, power, and no drawback/cocking with his right, and throws it when I step in aggressively to throw my jab.

Could you use your right hand to cover the left side of your upper head when you jab? I've seen guys do that when they have a low lead hand.

One guy who is giving me troubles is a strong heavyweight- he times me when I step in to throw my jab and I can't land my cross because of it.

He lands his right even though I bring my left hand back, he's strong so even a shot up higher or to side of head is dangerous. Should I resort to only advancing in the later rounds when he doesn't have speed? I could use a Crazy Monkey approach and lots of dipping and right cross and hooks of my own in later rounds.

I think maybe I should just counter-strike him, especially early on, and get on my "bike" and make sure he can't cut me off in the ring. He likes to counter-strike me, and then when one lands, he cuts me off when I'm hurt and trying to circle away. Maybe I should only jab as a way to widen the gap and not advance with the jab. This will gas him out since I have 3 times the conditioning. Then in later round or when trapped in corners early in the fight I could use the crazy monkey defence when advancing and just throw mainly hooks with dipping and bobbing too.

Last edited:
step to your right and keep your right hand up.

Pretty simple.

Just as he's using the counter cross to discourage you from throwing the jab, you can pump a double jab to make him think twice about loading up on that counter.

Yeah, you could use your right hand to protect the left side of your head. Unorthodox, but Kenny Norton and Archie Moore made a living on it for decades.

If you're consistently getting countered he's figured you out.

Throw some feints, lead with a cross... mix it up.

or just move out of the way.

as da speet said, step to ur right and pop ur own jab inside of his straight right while keeping ur right hand up on ur cheek. it sounds like a lot all at once, but its actually quite easy. try it now.

chances are this guy knows ur a bit afraid of his right, so pop that jab in there like u mean it and back him down, double up on it when u gain confidence, then fade back out of his range at a nice angle-never back straight up. everything is built off of ur jab, thats why its numbered 1 in punch sequences such as 1-2-3 (jab, straight rt, left hook). best wishes.

Or, if your footwork isnt up to par, just duck under and come with a left hook.

Are you throwing stiff jabs? Like someone mentioned, throw double jabs.

Yeah, move to the right, double jab and make sure you dont telegraph against your punch

or... if you know he is going to counter every time you jab, use that to you advantage and fake the jab to draw out his right then throw a counter of your own.

... if you know he is going to counter every time you jab, use that to you advantage and fake the jab to draw out his right then throw a counter of your own.

fuck, i just went to post this.

Is this kickboxing/MT or just pure boxing?

If kicks are allowed, fake the jab, put your left hand up and kick the fuck out of his leg every time he goes for that. Or in the floaters.

I dont know this guy, but i dont like him for some reason. People with good rights make me so angry :mad:

Double up with a lazy "blinding" jab (for baiting) and when he counters with his right throw a short, tight (circular) overhand right of your own.

Your head should be moving down and to his right when you throw your right.

Double up with a lazy "blinding" jab (for baiting) and when he counters with his right throw a short, tight (circular) overhand right of your own.

Your head should be moving down and to his right when you throw your right.

Overhand rights are bad news. Too risky.

A right uppercut wouldd work as well TS, if you keep your left hand up.

A right uppercut wouldd work as well TS, if you keep your left hand up.

If you bait him with your left and he commits to his punch there should not be much risk as long as your head is not in the same place.

If you bait him with your left and he commits to his punch there should not be much risk as long as your head is not in the same place.

Are you saying don't commit to the jab, but jab while backing up or circling or dipping/slipping only then?

Are you saying don't commit to the jab, but jab while backing up or circling or dipping/slipping only then?

No, just put the jab in his face, kinda leave it out there for a split second... it is more of a blinder than an actual punch.

See what he does.

If he counters with a right, do it again only this time follow your jab with a very direct and hard right. Your head should be near his right side rib cage when your right makes contact. Your head should not be where he is punching. You have to weave to your left while punching with your right. Follow it up with other strikes or tie him up.

Here is a good video of boxing sparring. At about 2:00 minute mark the small guy is getting countered like you explained. This guy has a few really good instructional boxing videos on youtube.

YouTube - Controlled boxing sparring drills

Last edited:
If you're consistently getting countered he's figured you out.

Throw some feints, lead with a cross... mix it up.

It's really hard to diagnose the problem through text, but from what I've read, I agree with this post. If you can't even get your jab off, then you're becoming too predictable.

How are you lined up when you fire your jab? What type of movement are doing when you use it? Are you directly across from him, slightly off his line? Do you step with your jab? any head movement when throwing it? Is it your only lead punch?

A little more background on how you throw your jab will help people give you better ideas on how to address the issue.

Personally, I agree with everyone who says add more feints and head movement when throwing the jab.

I agree, leave the looping shots alone vs. this guy. If he's countering you at will, he already has a hand speed advantage. The only way to negate that is by throwing straighter than him and, as another poster noted, mixing up your attack a lot.

I haven't sparred in a while, but I used to run into this issue all the time because I'm a little older (41) and predictably a bit slower than most guys I was working with. I was always trying to compensate for speed disadvantages.

In any case, don't let him take your jab away. Double it. Use it on the back end of an occasional 2-1 combo. Use it as a counter. A striker without a "1" is a pitcher without a fastball.

I agree, leave the looping shots alone vs. this guy. If he's countering you at will, he already has a hand speed advantage. The only way to negate that is by throwing straighter than him and, as another poster noted, mixing up your attack a lot.

I haven't sparred in a while, but I used to run into this issue all the time because I'm a little older (41) and predictably a bit slower than most guys I was working with. I was always trying to compensate for speed disadvantages.

In any case, don't let him take your jab away. Double it. Use it on the back end of an occasional 2-1 combo. Use it as a counter. A striker without a "1" is a pitcher without a fastball.

Risky, but effective. As long as you slip/weave properly and keep the punch in-tight, I don't see why it is riskier than other techniques.

If a guy is punching through your jab and is coming forward - it might just be the correct counter (works for me when someone is moving forward aggressively or when they "stay their ground")

If you catch an aggressive opponent with this once or twice it could stop him from getting you with his right, make him hesitate more and if you're good at it this punch could end the fight.

Notice where Evans puts his head? It should be even closer to Liddels body when making contact with the overhand right. This point is key to the technique. When your punch makes contact you should be in a perfect position to take your opponent down (because you are so close to him.)

I'm willing to be that you're doing something that gives away the jab and signals to the other guy that it's coming right before you throw it, if he can really time it that well.

Back