Rifle Caliber Pistols

Just started looking into building an 11.5 SBR, may go 10.5 not entirly sure yet. I had to talk myself about of buying a HK pl30LS, since i just got an FN502 2 weeks ago .

PS. Is there a market for slightly used are barrels (Criterion with less than 100rds )

Got the 11.5 inch upper on now.

Yeah, its shorter....... That's it. Will zero after work today.

Compare with:

Well the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 is a solid choice. The list of features it has are pretty impressive for its price. So it should treat you well, especially given it lasts about 5 years without turning it off before you have to change the battery.

Just picked up a Romeo 5 for $110 shipped for my new AR. This model even comes with 2 mounts (low and high for, what I assume is absolute co-witness and lower 1/3) . I read a ton of reviews and it seems for a beginner like me it's still a very high quality RDS that I can rely on and "shake to wake" in the middle of the night if needed.

I'm looking forward to it. If it goes well on the AR may look into getting 1 for the HD shotgun too. Next purchase will be a pistol optic though.

Just started looking into building an 11.5 SBR, may go 10.5 not entirly sure yet. I had to talk myself about of buying a HK pl30LS, since i just got an FN502 2 weeks ago .

PS. Is there a market for slightly used are barrels (Criterion with less than 100rds )
I'd stay with 11.5" since it has 40% more dwell time.

Just picked up a Romeo 5 for $110 shipped for my new AR. This model even comes with 2 mounts (low and high for, what I assume is absolute co-witness and lower 1/3) . I read a ton of reviews and it seems for a beginner like me it's still a very high quality RDS that I can rely on and "shake to wake" in the middle of the night if needed.

I'm looking forward to it. If it goes well on the AR may look into getting 1 for the HD shotgun too. Next purchase will be a pistol optic though.
I got a Vortex Sparc for my .44 mag lever action. Life time replacement warranty, solar power and battery power. Shake to wake. Ticks all the boxes for me, but very similar to Romeo 5 overall. I was going to get a R5 but they were sold out.

That's what the original M16A1 had. Plus I mainly shoot 55gr anyhow.
The only reason the military went with 1:7 over 1:9 for the A2 is because it did a better job of stabilizing tracer rounds.

A goon friend told me a red dot is superior to the scope I have on the gun now. A Cop no less.

I said that's all fine and well, but the red dots are blury as hell to me so I like the scope.

He said he wouldn't use it as it would suck for room clearing, (Which I don't do anyway)

But with that in mind, I decided to add an up close solution. Behold:

Combo Flash Light With Green Laser.

Its small, unobtrusive, low profile, is quick to activate, and the flash light isn't bad either.

oh, and up close, like across a room it's fast as fuck. Even if you did something stupid like switch to left hand mode to go round a right hand corner quicker its fast. No looking for a dot in the sight hood, just look at the target. $130.

A goon friend told me a red dot is superior to the scope I have on the gun now. A Cop no less.

I said that's all fine and well, but the red dots are blury as hell to me so I like the scope.

He said he wouldn't use it as it would suck for room clearing, (Which I don't do anyway)

But with that in mind, I decided to add an up close solution. Behold:

Combo Flash Light With Green Laser.

Its small, unobtrusive, low profile, is quick to activate, and the flash light isn't bad either.

oh, and up close, like across a room it's fast as fuck. Even if you did something stupid like switch to left hand mode to go round a right hand corner quicker its fast. No looking for a dot in the sight hood, just look at the target. $130.

Is that in 5.56? He kinda has a point with a barrel that short. Unless you're using fancy ammo.

Is that in 5.56? He kinda has a point with a barrel that short. Unless you're using fancy ammo.

All my current ammo is Lake City Match with 77grn Sierra Matchkings. the upper is supposed to take 223 or 5.56. I don't have any known .223 to stick in there and see though.. Assuming since it works with my ammo it'll prolly take 223?

I initially tested the upper with a red dot, and it was a little faster to make blatant, (nothing especially precise) hits from 50 yards and closer than the scope. Seemed to be about the same from 50 yards and back, and from 100 yards the scope is much better with my eyes.

Reticle looks like this, effectively and optical iron sight. This scope is FFP 4X max. I've tried farting with smaller circle at lower power, but found 4X to be best, and less to have to fuck with.

Speed is academic with the addition of the laser now, as it is faster than a red dot up close.

AR71624I_AROptics_Riflescope_Context2.jpg

I tested this foxtrot upper against a Whiteoak 16inch 3 gun upper, and the Whiteoak has noticeably better accuracy, although felt recoil on the Foxtrot upper is less.

Spent more money than I should have for stowability.

Oh well.

All my current ammo is Lake City Match with 77grn Sierra Matchkings. the upper is supposed to take 223 or 5.56. I don't have any known .223 to stick in there and see though.. Assuming since it works with my ammo it'll prolly take 223?

I initially tested the upper with a red dot, and it was a little faster to make blatant, (nothing especially precise) hits from 50 yards and closer than the scope. Seemed to be about the same from 50 yards and back, and from 100 yards the scope is much better with my eyes.

Reticle looks like this, effectively and optical iron sight. This scope is FFP 4X max. I've tried farting with smaller circle at lower power, but found 4X to be best, and less to have to fuck with.

Speed is academic with the addition of the laser now, as it is faster than a red dot up close.

AR71624I_AROptics_Riflescope_Context2.jpg

I tested this foxtrot upper against a Whiteoak 16inch 3 gun upper, and the Whiteoak has noticeably better accuracy, although felt recoil on the Foxtrot upper is less.

Spent more money than I should have for stowability.

Oh well.
I mainly shoot M193 and it won't reliably fragment out of a barrel that short past 40-50 yards. I wonder how much better 77gr is.

BallisticsA.gif

Damn, looks like the stuff you're using will reliably fragment at 1900 FPS.

I mainly shoot M193 and it won't reliably fragment out of a barrel that short past 40-50 yards. I wonder how much better 77gr is.

BallisticsA.gif

I find the 77grn bullet works better on Hogs. It tends to punch through on things like Coyotes.

One of the better performing rounds I've used was with Sierra's 60grn flatbase hollowpoint bullet.
https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/22-caliber-60-gr-hp/

It's an accurate shooter. At 100 yards and closing I'd say it does better than the 77Grn bullets on hogs, and works on coyotes too.

it's cheaper than Nosler ballistic tips. and some of the other tipped bullets

I come and go with it, because the 77grn Matchking does better past 150 yards, and much better past 300, and has a better BC.

That 60grner though, I find I can zero at 50 yards, (with a 16 inch barrel AR) and it'll be almost dead nuts at 100 yards as well. with the 77grner I have to zero it for a little low at 50, Maybe an inch or 2. so that's the same high at 100.

it has a thicker jacket, (I believe its really meant for 22-250s etc) So in a 223, it holds together well when whacking a big nasty hog. But it mushrooms out, (especially 25-100 yards) and fucks'em up.

I've dropped a lot of hog dead in their tracks with it. More-so than the 77gr.

This is my opinion and what I've noticed.

I haven't shot any 55s since, I can remember.

I find the 77grn bullet works better on Hogs. It tends to punch through on things like Coyotes.

One of the better performing rounds I've used was with Sierra's 60grn flatbase hollowpoint bullet.
https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/22-caliber-60-gr-hp/

It's an accurate shooter. At 100 yards and closing I'd say it does better than the 77Grn bullets on hogs, and works on coyotes too.

it's cheaper than Nosler ballistic tips. and some of the other tipped bullets

I come and go with it, because the 77grn Matchking does better past 150 yards, and much better past 300, and has a better BC.

That 60grner though, I find I can zero at 50 yards, (with a 16 inch barrel AR) and it'll be almost dead nuts at 100 yards as well. with the 77grner I have to zero it for a little low at 50, Maybe an inch or 2. so that's the same high at 100.

it has a thicker jacket, (I believe its really meant for 22-250s etc) So in a 223, it holds together well when whacking a big nasty hog. But it mushrooms out, (especially 25-100 yards) and fucks'em up.

I've dropped a lot of hog dead in their tracks with it. More-so than the 77gr.

This is my opinion and what I've noticed.

I haven't shot any 55s since, I can remember.
There's also a Federal FBI load that's 62gr and apparently the best barrier blind round but it kinda sucks for terminal performance because it doesn't fragment.

@Chesten_Hesten Apparently 64gr Gold Dot will reliably fragment at 1800 FPS even though it's lighter and not 5.56.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?120445-Your-thoughts-of-223-64-gr-SPEER-GDSP

<{dayum}>

I've not shot any Speer bullets in a long long time, 80s....

I'd like to try these.
https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/22-caliber-64-gr-tgk/

I did buy some 69grn tipped matchkings and shot a couple hogs with them. At 74 yards to tipped matchking went in, blew up inside the hog, left zero blood, and it ran prolly 60 yards before dying deep in the brush. Rather a letdown.

But maybe the Gameking will be better, and act as an end all be all bullet. Can't find any in stock so I keep going back to the 77grn stuff that I had loaded for Highpower Competitions back in the day.

There's also a Federal FBI load that's 62gr and apparently the best barrier blind round but it kinda sucks for terminal performance because it doesn't fragment.

I used a 175grn Matchking outa my 30'06 and it was fantastic on Hogs, fucking flattened them. 2980fps

Last edited:
Back