Movies Ridley Scott's THE LAST DUEL Starring Matt Damon, Adam Driver (First Trailer Released)

Showed my date last night my mace and sword collection, and a few ufc videos. Still waiting to hear back from her today about our second date...she said she would message me...

See where you fucked up is not mentioning also being a member of Sherdog. Then again with such a small post count I guess I can understand..

I enjoyed it, if you are expecting a ton of action then it’s probably not the movie for you tho.

slight SPOILERS:

not many action scenes but they were pretty well done, the plot and how you see it through all 3 prospectives was very cool imo especially the sometimes very subtle changes ( like Damon being a little nicer in his than his wife’s version ) etc etc.. i thought it was funny that affleck visibly loved talking shit on Damon the entire movie lmao just buddies talkin shit.

I enjoyed it, if you are expecting a ton of action then it’s probably not the movie for you tho.

slight SPOILERS:

not many action scenes but they were pretty well done, the plot and how you see it through all 3 prospectives was very cool imo especially the sometimes very subtle changes ( like Damon being a little nicer in his than his wife’s version ) etc etc.. i thought it was funny that affleck visibly loved talking shit on Damon the entire movie lmao just buddies talkin shit.

I liked how in the intro from damons view he leads the charge "for the king" but in Driver's damon just charges by himself and nobody follows him into battle until driver goes.

I watched it and I thought it was very well done. It leaves ambiguity in the different perceptions but does take a (sort of) firm stand on the events. But it works because as the movie plays out you realize that the assault itself is merely one part of the clash between the different perceptions. Especially between Comer and Damon's character and how they each view each other in the relationship, and the clash between Driver's and Damon's perceptions of the events of what leads to the rift between them. It all builds up to the duel which is fantastic but by the time it comes you realize that it's being fought for many more reasons beyond Damon trying to reclaim his wife's honor.

The performances were all fantastic. Beside the 3 leads, Affleck was surprisingly great in the role and his character works both as a villain and as a type of comic relief.

The action was very well done and felt dense and brutal.

There are some lines of cliche dialogue that seem forced in to appease certain viewers mostly by Comers character. It was nothing major but my gripe was more that I felt her character didnt need them because the film already does a good job of establishing how her character feels about her situation.

Theres another scene involving a side character that felt shoehorned in and really added nothing imo.

Overall it was around an 8.6/10 for me. Really a lot to enjoy here.
Good synopsis. I just got around to watching this. So glad I did. It was really good, one of my favourite films of the last couple of years. Shame it bombed. Terrible marketing and a difficult subject matter didn't help. I think this will gain a following because it is a good film. I really liked the 3 different view points. I read a criticism on youtube where someone said that having the same scenes played over were unnecessary and they couldn't see the differences between the key scene as seen by Le Gris and Marguerite. Seems some people can't appreciate subtlety.

Is this as terrible as I keep hearing it is?

Good synopsis. I just got around to watching this. So glad I did. It was really good, one of my favourite films of the last couple of years. Shame it bombed. Terrible marketing and a difficult subject matter didn't help. I think this will gain a following because it is a good film. I really liked the 3 different view points. I read a criticism on youtube where someone said that having the same scenes played over were unnecessary and they couldn't see the differences between the key scene as seen by Le Gris and Marguerite. Seems some people can't appreciate subtlety.

Yeah I too read and watched a few reviews where they couldn't see the differences in perspectives.

the difference in comer's and driver's view of the assault was obvious I thought. the differences were clear. I wonder if some reviewers or viewers were purposefully being ignorant about this because of the nature of the scene. Or they just werent paying attention enough.

Yeah I too read and watched a few reviews where they couldn't see the differences in perspectives.

the difference in comer's and driver's view of the assault was obvious I thought. the differences were clear. I wonder if some reviewers or viewers were purposefully being ignorant about this because of the nature of the scene. Or they just werent paying attention enough.
There isn't a way to say this without sounding slightly elitist but I think some detailed orientated movies, ones that you could watch many times and see new elements each time, are just wasted on a certain audience who prefers MCU and Pixar fodder with easy storylines, non-stop action and 2 dimensional characters. And don't get me wrong I enjoy a Marvel film as much as the next person but my favourite films are ones I can watch over and over because they are detail rich.

There isn't a way to say this without sounding slightly elitist but I think some detailed orientated movies, ones that you could watch many times and see new elements each time, are just wasted on a certain audience who prefers MCU and Pixar fodder with easy storylines, non-stop action and 2 dimensional characters. And don't get me wrong I enjoy a Marvel film as much as the next person but my favourite films are ones I can watch over and over because they are detail rich.

I think that's part of the reason for the more casual watch base. But I've also heard it from certain critics who should know better. I'm just like come on...you should know better. Either lying for whatever reason or you werent paying attention to a movie you were supposedly reviewing.

I'm planning on watching it again pretty soon.

I liked it. Solid 7.5/10.
Ben looked goofy in the trailer but he ended up playing a good villain. The combat was good and I enjoyed the three different perspectives

I think that's part of the reason for the more casual watch base. But I've also heard it from certain critics who should know better. I'm just like come on...you should know better. Either lying for whatever reason or you werent paying attention to a movie you were supposedly reviewing.

I'm planning on watching it again pretty soon.
Interesting, sounds like they were pushing an agenda in that case or just being unprofessional.

I liked it. Solid 7.5/10.
Ben looked goofy in the trailer but he ended up playing a good villain. The combat was good and I enjoyed the three different perspectives
I don't like Affleck normally but I thought his character and his acting was pretty good in this. His complete derision and disdain for Damon's character was amusing.

Back