Movies Ridley Scott's THE LAST DUEL Starring Matt Damon, Adam Driver (First Trailer Released)

Affleck looks weird af with the blond hair/facial hair.

Looks like a solid flick. Nothing ground breaking at all, but entertaining.

If the Brits weren't taking 90% of the American roles, some of them might have been available for this.
Pretty sure the characters are French, but the point is still valid.

I assume Driver will be weeping about something the entire time.

Ridley Scott is one of the few who can make epics, which we desperately need more of, but this looks a little off. They look out of place and why does Affleck have to tag along? Guess we'll see...

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-20%20at%208.40.52%20AM.png

Official Trailer for Ridley Scott's THE LAST DUEL Starring Matt Damon and Adam Driver

A tale of betrayal and vengeance directed by Ridley Scot and starring Matt Damon, Adam Driver, Jodie Comer and Ben Affleck. In cinemas October 15.

Looks great. Jodie Comer is an incredible actor.

The wikipedia entry on the event is fascinating.

Also Driver’s character was supposed to be a mountain of a man.

Matt Damon looking like a skinny Big Country.
<36>

Kylo looks pretty cool though.

<36> That fucking mullet on Damon is ridiculous. Scott is washed up and has been for two decades. Retire old man and tell 20th Century Fox to sell off the rights to S. Craig Zahler's novel so someone will do something with it.

Ridley definitely fucked over the Alien franchise.

#1: He made it to where we couldn't get Blomkamp's Alien 5.
#2: He made Prometheus and Covenant. Both shit.

But this looks pretty good. So I'll check it out.

Driver actually looks like he belongs in the film though, Damon and Affleck definately have a John Wayne Ghegsis Khan presense to them.

Really the latter two are movie stars, good at playing their own personas, not good at vanishing into a role.

Both Damon and Affleck can be good in certain films depending on how they are cast, but my first impression is that they are miscast for a film like this. Of course, I could be wrong.

Looks pretty good.

Affleck’s look is like if Charlie Hunnam in Cold Mountain just went to get a haircut and beard trimming.

I think there was initially awards buzz around this movie, but, based purely on the pedigree of former screenplay winners Affleck and Damon writing the script, Ridley directing, and the presence of Comer and Driver who have gained a lot of plaudits for various work over recent years.

watching the trailer, I’d say it’s more likely just an (hopefully) entertaining period piece and that’s it. Though Comer probably has a shot as it looks like she has the most nuanced role.

Filmed in Ireland.
Matt Damon spent the lockdown over here with his family and began to blend in with the natives :D

Well their accents suck.

To be fair they're meant to be French so unless the entire film was subtitled the accents weren't going to be accurate (they could of sounded like French people speaking English I guess, "ze last dewl").

Actual English accents at the time would of sounded closest to the Hollywood pirate accent (which is a west counties accent, which unlike "standard English" hasn't changed as much).

Americans like to say English would of sounded American back then but despite being rhotic (standard English shifted to non rhotic pronunciation) does the "pirate" accent, or regional English accents in general, for example Sean Beans rhotic Sheffield (Manchester) accent sound American or English?

Landed gentry heading to London in the industrial revolution wanted to differentiate themselves from the "common" (rich) merchants so changed the pronunciation of English to "Received Pronunciation", which included rolled R's ala Latin to distinguish their upper class (Latin) educations from the now usually more wealthy urban bourgeoise. Regional British accents didn't adopt these changes (hence middle/old English sounding closer to regional English accents than current day upper class/standard English).

Back