Riddle me this, how is rolling over and giving up your back in less than 5 seconds.......

Lol @ almost passed nates guard.

Tapping to strikes will always have a stigma attached to it. It's been argued to death on the forum for years, is what it is.

Yeah, he would have if Nate hadn't trapped his leg at the last moment.

He also swept Diaz.

He fought out because Bigfoot didn’t lock in a rnc.

What would have happened if herring was allowed to continue against fedor??
Herring would have taken a tremendous beating. As for the Silva fight, Silva can barely pull himself off of the mat after that round. He may have expended all of his energy, he was never known as a cardio machine and maybe his TRT was wearing off. Who knows but to have been caught in the full mount against a monster like that and survived is saying something, other than he should have never been there to begin with. However, 3 of the guys that beat Fedor have or may have done so on the sauce. Henderson and Silva were never the same after taking away their TRT and we will see what happens with Werdum.

Look, I have a great amount of respect for Fedor and what he has done for the sport. I am a big fan of how he conducts himself in and out of the ring but I know that all fighters have their peaks and declines. I think, for Fedor, what happened is that their was such a hype, deserved hype, that followed him into the new era of MMA marketing as the greatest ever and your new fans and casuals looked at this short chubby guy who looks like an appliance repairman and said "no way". He fights a few times in this era and wins, Arlovski, Sylvia, Rogers, and the new crowd is still on the fence. Werdum, Henderson and Silva come along and all of a sudden, he is a can. If you didn't watch the 10 years before those fights, it is easy to say that. Had Pride had the following in the US that the UFC does or the marketing Fedor would have been considered the greatest the world over. Had he been accomplishing the same thing in the UFC during those years, Dana would have been heralding him as the greatest ever, as well. Remember, the 10 years that Fedor was dominant in other orgs, the UFC had Wes Simms, Paul Buentello, Asuerio Silva and Jeff Monson all challenging Sylvia, Arlovski and Mir for the #1 spot in the UFC. Later in that run, the only fight that I wanted to see was Fedor vs. Lesnar but then Lesnar got exposed by Velasquez and Overeem and Fedor had his imminent decline. It happens to all fighters but that would have been one hell of a staredown before the fight.

The medical suspension time that you receive from the tap out to a RNC will likely be considerably smaller than the one from tapping to strikes.

I see no issue in either way of admitting defeat and saving a few braincells.

I know most sherdoggers take concussions with pride. But I would never blame a fighter for trying to avoid uneccessary punishment because he wants to be able to form complete sentences without issues once he is 50. Not if the alternative is talking like Diego or Chuck or even worse cases of severe CTE, Parkinsons etc. The risks are aleready big enough.

Herring would have taken a tremendous beating. As for the Silva fight, Silva can barely pull himself off of the mat after that round. He may have expended all of his energy, he was never known as a cardio machine and maybe his TRT was wearing off. Who knows but to have been caught in the full mount against a monster like that and survived is saying something, other than he should have never been there to begin with. However, 3 of the guys that beat Fedor have or may have done so on the sauce. Henderson and Silva were never the same after taking away their TRT and we will see what happens with Werdum.

Look, I have a great amount of respect for Fedor and what he has done for the sport. I am a big fan of how he conducts himself in and out of the ring but I know that all fighters have their peaks and declines. I think, for Fedor, what happened is that their was such a hype, deserved hype, that followed him into the new era of MMA marketing as the greatest ever and your new fans and casuals looked at this short chubby guy who looks like an appliance repairman and said "no way". He fights a few times in this era and wins, Arlovski, Sylvia, Rogers, and the new crowd is still on the fence. Werdum, Henderson and Silva come along and all of a sudden, he is a can. If you didn't watch the 10 years before those fights, it is easy to say that. Had Pride had the following in the US that the UFC does or the marketing Fedor would have been considered the greatest the world over. Had he been accomplishing the same thing in the UFC during those years, Dana would have been heralding him as the greatest ever, as well. Remember, the 10 years that Fedor was dominant in other orgs, the UFC had Wes Simms, Paul Buentello, Asuerio Silva and Jeff Monson all challenging Sylvia, Arlovski and Mir for the #1 spot in the UFC. Later in that run, the only fight that I wanted to see was Fedor vs. Lesnar but then Lesnar got exposed by Velasquez and Overeem and Fedor had his imminent decline. It happens to all fighters but that would have been one hell of a staredown before the fight.

my questions and comments weren't meant to disparage fedor. simply to point out that he 1) gave up his back to avoid further punishment from mount (and continued to fight to survive as bigfoot couldn't lock in his submission attempt) and 2) had a fight stopped where his opponent ended the round on top of him and was still fighting back.

in specific context of this thread, he gave his back but unlike nate bigfoot didn't complete the choke. 3 separate times he gave up his back to avoid the punishment he was taking but bigfoot didn't lock in the choke. nate did. fedor had better hand position than conor when he gave up his back.

giphy.gif

my questions and comments weren't meant to disparage fedor. simply to point out that he 1) gave up his back to avoid further punishment from mount (and continued to fight to survive as bigfoot couldn't lock in his submission attempt) and 2) had a fight stopped where his opponent ended the round on top of him and was still fighting back.

in specific context of this thread, he gave his back but unlike nate bigfoot didn't complete the choke. 3 separate times he gave up his back to avoid the punishment he was taking but bigfoot didn't lock in the choke. nate did. fedor had better hand position than conor when he gave up his back.
Got it, now. I didn't understand the context of your earlier post.

Fedor gave up his back to Bigfoot a couple times (to similarly stop the gnp he was absorbing), who couldn’t secure the RNC.
Fedor is very good ar defending the choke. He did the same to coleman. He isnt afraid of that position and it stops thr guy from hitting him. He baits them into going for the choke to stop the strikes.

Better to be a pussy in the minds of fat, forum lurkers than a brain damaged wash out by the time you’re 40.

No shame in tapping.

Once you tap to strikes you cannot be in the GOAT talks anymore

Hence Joanna cant be Women's 115 goat

Fedor gave up his back to Bigfoot a couple times (to similarly stop the gnp he was absorbing), who couldn’t secure the RNC.

Jon Fitch gave up his back to BJ Penn twice, but managed to get out of it.
Nick Diaz also gave up his back to BJ.
Jon Fitch gave his back to Maia for an entire fight.
Sakuraba gave his back to everyone.

Giving the back is fine, if you’re an advanced level grappler.

Jon Fitch gave up his back to BJ Penn twice, but managed to get out of it.
Nick Diaz also gave up his back to BJ.
Jon Fitch gave his back to Maia for an entire fight.
Sakuraba gave his back to everyone.

Giving the back is fine, if you’re an advanced level grappler.
Yes we agree it’s not quitting.

Fedor is very good ar defending the choke. He did the same to coleman. He isnt afraid of that position and it stops thr guy from hitting him. He baits them into going for the choke to stop the strikes.
Yes it’s a survival technique. Not quitting. Agreed.

Back