riddle me this, are MMA fighters underpaid or are athletes in general OVERPAID?

Considering USA's military budget of 1 trillion a year and dumbass soldiers getting sent off to die for 25k a year, I think both athletes are overpaid.

read it in a sherdog thread recently
Well, the NFL is notoriously tight-lipped about this very subject, so if you were able to prove it you'd be breaking a huge story. Most observers estimate in the 35-45% range which is still far higher than the UFC pays out to fighters. The NBA does have a revenue sharing scheme that gives them about 50% of total revenue. I'd guess that's what that brilliant Sherdogger was trying to reference.

For a long time now, I've hated the system that elevates an athletic moron into society's upper crust while academics who actually contribute to humanity struggle in poverty and obscurity.

if a grown man can't feed a family and send his kids to college working a 9 to 5 job on the factory floor, then overgrown pituitary cases should not be getting paid millions for dunking a ball through a ring.

MLB is getting pretty much out of control but Hockey, football and basketball seem to be ok with pretty much every team owner keeping up the pace and not losing on is team value.

Soccer is more about those transfer fees for buying players that is pretty stupid

Now in the UFC you have headliners having trouble making decent money after their huge camp expenses. It's getting more and more like a league were you have rankings and somekind of a gradation in where you are put on the card. The lower guys are getting ready to be the next contender for the middle of the card...

Like in hockey you should have a minimum to be on a UFC card. In hockey you can be on a 50K salary in the American Hockey League, but when your NHL team needs you to move up you're on a 500 K salary basis.

I think that anybody on the main card should get at least a 100K for the fight.

Sports orgs as a whole are generally overpaid = everyone w/ a fight kit is a moron.

if a grown man can't feed a family and send his kids to college working a 9 to 5 job on the factory floor, then overgrown pituitary cases should not be getting paid millions for dunking a ball through a ring.
It's supply and demand. Athletes are entertainers and generate the revenue to pay their salaries. That's how it works. Lebron's (i'm not a Lebron fan) entertainment value cannot be replaced. The 9 to 5er on the factory floor can be replaced tomorrow.

all i know is if they want 401k and benifits they should get a real job

The more eyes you bring and merch u sell (shoes, clothing, ect), the more you should get paid. Thats why Lebron, Kobe, Messi, Curry, Mcgregor, Mayweather, and most big players in small markets make 20-50 mil a year.

What is your source for NFL players getting over 50% of revenue?

Players receive 40 percent of local revenues, which mainly come from tickets sales, 45 percent of sponsorship money, revenues from the post-season and NFL Ventures, such as NFL.com and the NFL Network, and 55 percent of the revenues from media deals.Teams can exclude money from the sale of personal seat licenses, premium seating, and from mega-deals with corporations to put their names on stadiums. The NFLPA agreed to these exclusions because teams often use these funds to help finance renovations and the construction of new stadiums, which significantly increase revenue and the amount of money that gets shared with the players.

https://thinkprogress.org/nfl-repor...-ordered-to-return-it-1d33c3200501#.3xtxxd2jy

"Paid millions to kick a football!? Ridiculous !" is a statement you will hear often though.

Donno if anyone else on this thread has read Robert Nozick's Anarchy, State and Utopia or remembers his argument therein against the claim that Wilt Chamberlain was overpaid. His basic point was that a just distribution of goods is incompatible with freedom.

bankers work hard for their money and goes through years of education and finishing schools

some athletes are barely literate
Athletes put tireless hours into perfecting their craft. It's no different.

@kid Pambele, come tell this fight-for-scraps-poor TS, how underpaid is everyone compared to bankers.

giphy.gif
Ayy lmao

Considering USA's military budget of 1 trillion a year and dumbass soldiers getting sent off to die for 25k a year, I think both athletes are overpaid.
For a long time now, I've hated the system that elevates an athletic moron into society's upper crust while academics who actually contribute to humanity struggle in poverty and obscurity.

I agree with your sentiments, but life isn't fair, guys. The reality is that these guys are getting paid what they are worth because joe schmoe turns on the TV to see them every game.

Professional athletes in the big leagues are often underpaid. It's a cartel system where they institute salary caps. If the leagues were an open market, the stars would be paid even higher. And they would deserve it for their role in generating team revenue.

If people didn't agree with the salaries, they wouldn't be buying so much merchandise and paying so much for tickets.

If you pay the athletes less some suits with inheritated wealth simply gain more money.

Athletes are paid fairly, NBA might be slightly overpaid. MMA is grossly underpaid. Although the new owners bought it for so much itll be tough for them to give the raises the Fertitas should have already given.

Back