Ricky Burns vs Miguel Vazquez due for Wembley arena March 16th

ZroC

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Looks like the UK is getting a little super card of their own. The card will also feature Chisora, Nathan Cleverly vs Krasniqi, George Groves vs Mohamed Ali Ndiaye, Liam Walsh vs Logan McGuinness, Tony Conquest vs Dawson 2. Unfortunately it means Broner vs Burns is scrapped for now, as Burns wanted the fight in the UK.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/bo...le-unification-match-March.html#ixzz2Hxo1PzaO
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/ne...hampion-Miguel-Vazquez-in-a-unification-fight

Ricky Burns will take on talented Mexican Miguel Vazquez in a mouth-watering lightweight unification fight at Wembley Arena on March 16.

'Rickster' recently missed out on a fight with WBC champion Adrien Broner, because the proposed February date came too soon after a long camp for his December fight that was eventually scrapped.

However, promoter Frank Warren has pulled a rabbit out of the hat by matching IBF champion Vazquez (33-3) with his WBO title holder.

The light-punching Vazquez picked up the strap in 2010 and will be making his fifth defence, two of which came within six weeks of each other at the end of last year.

Scotland's Burns made two defences of his belt in 2012, scoring an impressive stoppage victory over Kevin Mitchell in September.

Vazquez campaigned at light-welterweight for much of his early career, suffering two early losses to then up-and-coming countryman Saul Alvarez.

The only other defeat on his impressive CV came against the still-unbeaten WBO light-welterweight Timothy Bradley.

"Ricky Burns has been very patient over the last few months, things didn't go his way in December," said Warren. "Then there was the chance to fight Broner but the fact is several weeks' notice is not adequate and therefore we couldn't go for that.

"But he insisted he wanted to fight the best, and hopefully he will set up a big fight in the summer against Broner, with adequate preparation, and three titles on the line.

"(But) he's a very difficult boxer to beat. He (Vazquez) brings a lot of problems that Ricky's got to find the answer to and I think it's going to be a really intriguing fight.

"But these are the fights he should have. This is where Ricky Burns should be. I'm pleased we managed to get it together."

Hot.
Ricky 'bout to get rolled.

In before Seano says Miguel ain't shit.

Miguel gonna point the shit out of ricky.

I do not wish to see Vasquez fight ever. Hope they force him to fight in a small ring from here on out. Vasquez needs the capetillo handwrap special for him to inflict any sort of damage.

Apparently del boy is hoping to get his BBBoC license back and fight on the undercard.

I do not wish to see Vasquez fight ever. Hope they force him to fight in a small ring from here on out. Vasquez needs the capetillo handwrap special for him to inflict any sort of damage.

2ia4lea.jpg

In before Seano says Miguel ain't shit.

Miguel gonna point the shit out of ricky.

Oh hell no! *swivels neck around in chicken like motion*

I like Miguel Vasquez actually. Tough fight for Burns. Not sure why you think I don't like Vasquez.

Miguel Vasquez makes decent fights against capable opponents.

Oh hell no! *swivels neck around in chicken like motion*

I like Miguel Vasquez actually. Tough fight for Burns. Not sure why you think I don't like Vasquez.

Dam I remeber someone bitching about him in his last fight saying he wasn't winning cause he was pitty patty punching like P. Dubs. I thought it was you. Sorry my fault.

*Now I walk way from my desk with the Hulk Tv show song playing in my head.

Sounds like a decent card shaping up.Burns and Vasquez has a good chance to be a fun fight.

Good fight. I like Burns on his home turf but Vazquez can fight and his jab is nasty. Burns looked good against Mitchell last time out, so did Vazquez against Gesta.

Vasquez is a better version of Ricky Burns

I Hope Vazquez got a good payday for this fight, there is no way he's leaving the UK with the win without a KO. El Titere will probably school Burns but his style will not be rewarded by the hometown judging.

Woo-hoo, got my ticket to see it live. I hope Wembley has a great atmosphere for fights.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=62994#ixzz2MXBYMrjA

By Luke Furman

The lightweight unification between Ricky Burns (35-2, 10KOs) and Miguel Vazquez (33-3, 13KOs) has been postponed and a new date is being discussed. The match was scheduled for March 16th at Wembley Arena in London.

The second hit for promoter Frank Warren's big event, after it was confirmed by BoxingScene.com on Saturday that super middleweight George Groves had withdrawn from the event to sign a promotional deal with Warren's rival Eddie Hearn.

The details are not exactly clear, but UK sources indicate that Vazquez is suffering some type of ailment and can't move forward on the March date. Warren shut down rumors of a financial dispute between the two camps.

Burns is very unhappy with the situation. He was set to fight in December but that fight was called off after several opponents withdrew.

Burns' manager Alex Morrison told The Sun that Warren and Vazquez's promoter, Zanfer, are working on a new date, but their team is very upset with yet another fight falling through.

One of the lowest combined ko ratio’s I’ve seen for a world title in a while. Varquez reach advantage will be the difference here, Burns is going to cop more jabs than a diabetic. Warren should have got burns an easier fight and waited out broner.

Adrien Broner ‏@AdrienBroner

"@ricksterko what up Ricky burns now that your fight is canceled come fight me BITCH!!!!"

Ricky Burns ‏@ricksterko

'@AdrienBroner haha you've cheered me up a bit the day with that!"

Rescheduled for 4/20.

Back