Ricksons opinion on closed guard?

if no rule no time limits were brought back, the closed guard would be much more effective.

Heel kicks to the kidneys, upkicks to the face on the ground.

I have no clue what the difference between upkicking when someone is on there feet or if someone is on there knees. Dumb fucking rules that need to be changed.

If yo udon't want to see boring lay and pray, bring back options for the guys on their backs

Agree with you brother........lets make some changes.

Whoa, those upkicks looked brutal, thanks for the video. I hadn't really thought about using upkicks from DLR, but it seems like a pretty effective way to do a little damage while avoiding the toe hold. Aren't upkicks from guard illegal in UFC though?

Any example matches of Cobrinha using DLR guard that I should watch?

And with the wrist control, you gotta be relentless, as soon as he breaks it free, you just grab it back again and keep trying to pass it between his legs to your other hand, and don't give up until he gives up trying to break your grip, and once you get it you sweep immediately. That or you just keep going for the back take, which you don't really need wrist control for.

Also, that's a badass picture, codemonkey.

Upkicks from the guard are illegal in America. Which, I find, is stupid. If someone is allowed to beat your face in while you are on your back, you should be allowed to kick them in the face if you can.

As for Cobrinha, his matches at ADCC 2009 all have reverse DLR sweeps and back-takes, as well as the no-gi Worlds 2007 and 2008. Most of his gi game is based on the Spider, inverted, and DLR guard too. In fact, I was under the impression that he used the DLR more than just about anyone. Watch these:

Upkicks from the guard are illegal in America. Which, I find, is stupid. If someone is allowed to beat your face in while you are on your back, you should be allowed to kick them in the face if you can.

As for Cobrinha, his matches at ADCC 2009 all have reverse DLR sweeps and back-takes, as well as the no-gi Worlds 2007 and 2008. Most of his gi game is based on the Spider, inverted, and DLR guard too. In fact, I was under the impression that he used the DLR more than just about anyone. Watch these:

It's actually just upkicks to an opponent on the ground. If they're standing you can fire your upkicks away.

It's actually just upkicks to an opponent on the ground. If they're standing you can fire your upkicks away.

I meant to say that. But to clarify, I think they should be allowed even if your opponent has points of contact on the ground. Upkicks to a standing opponent are not that effective for the most part, unless you're Kendall Grove or Mousasi.

I meant to say that. But to clarify, I think they should be allowed even if your opponent has points of contact on the ground. Upkicks to a standing opponent are not that effective for the most part, unless you're Kendall Grove or Mousasi.

Sure ya did, Drew :icon_chee I think they should be allowed regardless, too.

I think most adults know that it's not ever you and me by the flagpole.
I replying specifically to the context in which it was stated. I think he knows that it's never a 1 on 1 too. ( I hope)
HOWEVER, if you are truly wanting to be prepared for combat against multiple opponents, and you cannot run away, your best (only) option that is the closest to a sure thing is a good folding knife or reliable handgun and training with said weapon.

Agree 100%

Everyone, I repeat, everyone is fucked against multiple opponents. When I taught self defense I studied photos of stabbing victims, victims of muggings from multiple assailants, and all were nasty stuff. If you are attacked by multiple people your life IS in danger.
yes this is true, it's why I value a knife in that situation and good footwork.
Maybe in boxing you can hit and run, and you have your mobility, but if you stay to fight you're still gonna get trampled.

That was my point, exactly. You're gonna need the mobility

I know this is going off topic, and I won't make any further replies to any "Grappling sucks for multiple attackers" posts. My overall point is this: NO combative art/style/method can prepare you for fighting multiple opponents, and anyone who tells you they can teach you how to should be avoided at all costs. They are either stupid or crazy. There are people in the fighting/martial arts world that will spend serious time trying to fight multiple opponents when they can't fight, let alone spar, with ONE opponent.
This is true

No matter what you do, boxing, Judo, BJJ, Sambo, Muay Thai... just worry about fighting one person.

True, but remember the context of the post to which I was replying

I replying specifically to the context in which it was stated. I think he knows that it's never a 1 on 1 too. ( I hope)

Agree 100%

yes this is true, it's why I value a knife in that situation and good footwork.

That was my point, exactly. You're gonna need the mobility

This is true

True, but remember the context of the post to which I was replying

Fair enough. My bad.

Sure, it was several months ago and I don't do much no gi at the moment so my memory might be off a bit, but as I recall, its just like the "scissors sweep" position before you actually sweep, laying on the side opposite to the knee against your opponent's body. He talked about using just your legs/hips to hold the opponent away from you so he can't reach your head with effective punches, but still controlling him, keeping pressure with the scissors so he can't pass your guard. The arm thats off the ground protects your face and initiates offense and the arm on the ground helps you adjust your position....

I hope that makes some sense.

Did he talk about potential footlocks and keeping someone from backing out?

Probly, it was a long time ago though, and since then I've only don't about 5 instructed no-gi classes and it hasn't come up.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back