Ricksons BJJ Opponents?

Rip Van Winkle said:
\
Where is he located in San Diego DJG? If I wind back in San Diego, I'd like to continue under a Rickson BB.

Mission Valley. http://fabiojiujitsu.com/. Don't judge our place by his website (he probably forgot he even has a website, lol). Show up and train. You'll see we're the real deal.

Back to topic. I've heard the same thing from Fabio. Rickson is fuckin unreal on the mat. Remember that fight Renzo had a couple of weeks ago in Hawaii. Fabio was down there and let's just say Rickson handed out ass-whippings to ALL present.

Lobo said:
Back to topic. I've heard the same thing from Fabio. Rickson is fuckin unreal on the mat. Remember that fight Renzo had a couple of weeks ago in Hawaii. Fabio was down there and let's just say Rickson handed out ass-whippings to ALL present.

What is it with him? I mean REALLY. Someone shed some light on it? Maybe something other than he's got cosmic jiuce or something?

It's part of him. He's been doing it since he was born, practically. Add to that, natural athleticism, a lineage of tremendous mentors and teachers (Helio and Rolls), a mental and spiritual acuity... it's a tough package to replicate.

This is what my Instructor Fabio Santos had to say regarding Rickson Gracie and what he thinks the secret to his game is. The article appeared in the April 2002 issue of Grappling Magazine (full article http://fabiojiujitsu.com/GrapplingMag.htm).

"More than anything else," Santos says, "the most dangerous weapon in jiu-jitsu is the mind. You can't be frozen in one position or only be looking for one thing. You have to be adaptable to every situation and always be ready to change your position when your opponent shifts his. If you look at my teacher, Rickson Gracie, you'll see that he is a master of position. He always shifts positions with his opponent and he never gets caught in a place that he doesn't want to be. If there is one secret to Rickson's game, that is it. The ability to quickly change comes from being mentally flexible, and always being alert to what your opponent is doing."

Lobo said:
This is what my Instructor Fabio Santos had to say regarding Rickson Gracie and what he thinks the secret to his game is. The article appeared in the April 2002 issue of Grappling Magazine (full article http://fabiojiujitsu.com/GrapplingMag.htm).

"More than anything else," Santos says, "the most dangerous weapon in jiu-jitsu is the mind. You can't be frozen in one position or only be looking for one thing. You have to be adaptable to every situation and always be ready to change your position when your opponent shifts his. If you look at my teacher, Rickson Gracie, you'll see that he is a master of position. He always shifts positions with his opponent and he never gets caught in a place that he doesn't want to be. If there is one secret to Rickson's game, that is it. The ability to quickly change comes from being mentally flexible, and always being alert to what your opponent is doing."

Cool, thats more like an answer I was looking for.

BJJWrestler said:
Who did Rickson grapple with in BJJ who are well known? I know he grappled agaisnt Rigan Machado... Was it close or did Rickson dominate?

this fight is a 'must see' (...on emule 'cause I don't think you'll find any legal video tape of it and the quality is horrible). the 2 guys were rolling like lightweight... about the finish..you don't see anything...just that rickson tap him...but you can see many sweep and so on...really awesome

ARIS said:
Some months ago Fabio Gurgel came in Greece for a BJJ seminar, a friend of mine asked him about Ricksons BJJ/Grappling skills. He said that in the 2 years that he trained with Rickson as a BJJ BB he never Submited him or even come close in submiting him, he also said that when rolling with him no-gi it was even worse for him than rolling with the gi. Also one other BJJ teacher friend of the Gracie family saw Rickson submiting in a "family train" all family members present, among them it was Ryan, Renzo, Ralph and plenty others, one by one non stop, at least that's what he told me.

I've heard the same thing from several of my instructors... he was in rio and fabio was rolling with rickson, tapping pretty oftenly...
first, I didn't realy believed it but as someone said in this thread, every time you talk to someone that has trained with rickson (4 of my instructor have started with him 10 years ago) you always ear the same story: no one is close to him.
After all maybe he is that good in grappling/bjj...in vale tudo, that is a different story.

Lobo said:
Mission Valley. http://fabiojiujitsu.com/. Don't judge our place by his website (he probably forgot he even has a website, lol). Show up and train. You'll see we're the real deal.

Thanks, I could care less about what the website looks like ;) I train with Vaghi, another Rickson BB, and he's phenomal with his instruction and it doesn't hurt that he's a Judo BB as well, so we incorporate alot of takedown/throws with our training. So if I do wind back up in San Diego, I think instead of just looking around at the various places, I'd probably just go straight to Fabio's place. Also, I'd probably wouldn't feel as weird walking in there and someone questioning my ability since I would imagine Fabio knows Rodrigo.

Yeah, Fabio and Rodrigo know each other. A few years back we had Steve Berger and another guy stop by and train with us. I think one of them had a fight in KOTC.

Lobo said:
Yeah, Fabio and Rodrigo know each other. A few years back we had Steve Berger and another guy stop by and train with us. I think one of them had a fight in KOTC.

cool....I'll definitely keep Fabio's school in mind if I wind back in San Diego.

Back