Rickson: "you can still hold base with your face ripped off"

Paul Vunak!

I've been interested in JKD recently, watched a few of his videos.

The guy seemed like a total badass in his youth.

you know, as time goes this story is going to turn into some mythical Rickson story where he did have his face ripped off and still submitted the guy.

Rickson by face arm bar

Paul Vunak!

I've been interested in JKD recently, watched a few of his videos.

The guy seemed like a total badass in his youth.

There's some interesting stories floating around about him. Total bad ass, at least once suffered an embarrassing loss to a BJJ blue belt in a street fight (shit happens in a street fight, I can't hold it against him). some people claim he had a coke problem.

But you can't deny he was a badass. He used to have two amazing vids on youtube. One of him taking a knife to a hanging slab of meat and showing what it's going to do to you if you fuck around and one where he explains what he's discovered the best way to maul another human being with your teeth and how to rip and tear as opposed to just biting (this vid finishes with Vunak throwing himself on a piece of meat like a mental patient / pitbull hybrid and ripping it to shreds with his face). Unlike most people working that persona of bad ass street fighter and tactical street fighting instructor, he's as real as it gets.

Edit: I used to train at a Vunak-lineage JKD school and I can't deny we were taught to do the maximum amount of damage to vulnerable areas in the most minimal time possible. I might not speak highly of the instructor, but I can't deny the value of what I learned there.

Last edited:
Thats actually pretty nuts. I probably would have given up position in order to save my face. Smart thinking by Rickson.
Yep... Just fish hooked myself super hard to see if I could hold mount while being fish hooked. Nope, super painful.

Porra! That dude got old. I remember him from the red book days when I was doing JKD in the 1990's.

There's saying it, and then there's following through on it. Rickson obviously thought the more prudent option was just clearing the fish hook.

Thats actually pretty nuts. I probably would have given up position in order to save my face. Smart thinking by Rickson.
Yep... Just fish hooked myself super hard to see if I could hold mount while being fish hooked. Nope, super painful.

as long as your head isnt completed turned with the hook you just flow with the go and you can pop it out. just like a choke you wanna turn into it asap and it wont be a threat at all.

Rickson is nicer than lots of ppl would be. Trying to fish hook somebody is pretty ill intent. Just choked him out and left him there is a blessing.

Last edited:
this shit is legit!

Has anyone trained with this guy or a similar style? The centerline hand stuff he does looks like it would be good to keep distance, but has no power. He did have sense to cross train, I'll give him that much.

That's just Rickson doing what he does best... I bet that was a long flight home for that Japanese dude.. I love it

Paul Vunak is an interesting guy with a lot of issues. Somebody summed him up as if Charlie Sheen was a martial artist he be Paul Vunak.He is pretty open about the dumb stuff he would do. He was known to get coked out and go in bad areas and pick fights with biker gangs and other sorts of people to test what he learned and see if it worked. He also open about getting beat up and hurt badly in the process testing it.

Has anyone trained with this guy or a similar style? The centerline hand stuff he does looks like it would be good to keep distance, but has no power. He did have sense to cross train, I'll give him that much.

It's not about power, it's about overwhelming the opponent while entering into range to use the Thai plum to throw headbutts, knees and elbows.

In jkd they like to say about a real fight, "the first with the most is the best." So for instance, you use a finger jab to the eyes. Vision is so important, even the toughest guy will flinch for a beat--see any mma fight with an accidental eye poke. You then use that opening to strait blast inside; these aren't knockout shots but the guy is getting hit some more before he has time to worry about his eyes. By then you are in range to grab a Thai plum, headbutt (pull their face into the top of your skull), knee them in the groin and start elbowing them.

That's just a basic sequence I've drill thousands of times. You could alternately choose to use standard Thai stuff from the plum, you could start grappling, they also teach dumog, a filipino stand-up grappling system, etc. But in my experience the foundation of jkd self defense concepts are using those techniques to get the Thai plum and throw the big guns (headbutt, knee, elbow) and fuck someone up as fast as possible.

It's not about power, it's about overwhelming the opponent while entering into range to use the Thai plum to throw headbutts, knees and elbows.

In jkd they like to say about a real fight, "the first with the most is the best." So for instance, you use a finger jab to the eyes. Vision is so important, even the toughest guy will flinch for a beat--see any mma fight with an accidental eye poke. You then use that opening to strait blast inside; these aren't knockout shots but the guy is getting hit some more before he has time to worry about his eyes. By then you are in range to grab a Thai plum, headbutt (pull their face into the top of your skull), knee them in the groin and start elbowing them.

That's just a basic sequence I've drill thousands of times. You could alternately choose to use standard Thai stuff from the plum, you could start grappling, they also teach dumog, a filipino stand-up grappling system, etc. But in my experience the foundation of jkd self defense concepts are using those techniques to get the Thai plum and throw the big guns (headbutt, knee, elbow) and fuck someone up as fast as possible.

OK, that makes sense in that context. I definitely did not see those as fight ending, but they could be good for creating entries. Eye pokes would really piss me off, but make it tough to fight also.

Vunak is famous for having his guys spar hard bare knuckle in the 80's, he is well cross trained, I love his headbut stuff. I am surprised we didn't see more JKD badasses in the 90's or early 2000's in mma.

Rickson tore off his face then arm barred him?

Rickson is so cool.

if someone sticks their finger in my mouth to fish hook me, I'm gonna bite them really hard and they're gonna regret sticking their fingers in my mouth

Last edited:
Curious how very few of those keep it real guys and to the death bouncers never had their battle skills translate to the cage with any significant success. why could that be?

Back