Rickson vs. Royler. OMG!

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I just saw footage from a no gi sparring between Rickson and Royler. Royler was purely helpless. It's this the difference between Rickson and today top grapplers (although I know it was a big weight difference)?

whered you see that, any vid? and yes, there is a reason for all the rickson worship around here

They have a grappling exhibiton during one of the early Prides...its quite impressive !

Rickson is huge compared to Royler.

I don't think he would crush top grapplers his size quite as easily, although a lot of people have said he could still be a grappling world champion if he competed.

this guys saying it was a no gi sparring session...i wanna see that if anyone can find it, cause its not the same as the Pride one

I think he is talking about the Footage from ricksons documentary "Choke". I havent seen it in a long time and would love to if anyone has it?

I think he'd be able to dominate Royler for a couple of reasons. First there is a noticable size difference and secondly they grew up together so it's safe to assume that Rickson would know Roylers actions inside and out. These factors combined would definately give Rickson the edge against Royler.

Not downplaying Rickson's grappling ability here just stating a couple of reasons why Rickson is able to beat his younger brother so easily.

After all of these years, the thing that still gets me about the Rickson v. Royler demonstration at Pride was how attentive and respectful the audience was. Not to mention Rickson's sweet counter to Royler's hip throw, where he initially takes the back, switches to a triangle and then to an armbar.

Guys, guys, it was a no gi sparring session, not the Pride one (which was done with the gi's). Rickson was wearing MMA gloves in this one. It was not a professional shot. And it's not from Choke (I have the documentary).
If you are interested there is a a similar demo with the one they did for Pride, in Europe at the Paris-Bercy MA show. It was aired on Eurosport years ago and they spar gi and no gi.

i think in the pride demo, rickson taps royler 3 times in a matter of I think 2 minutes?

rickson isn't using power to beat royler, it's 100% technique.

In pride 5, there exhibition was pretty bad ass IMO. Rickson owned him then too.

too bad in the pride exhibition everything was pre determined i believe. they had weapons and stuff like that too... so i dont know if it was 100% legit. royler tapped rickson too in that demonstration i believe.

the best gracie vs. gracie sparring session i've seen was renzo vs ryan from "fight day". can you pm me a link tudor?

flyingknee16 said:
too bad in the pride exhibition everything was pre determined i believe. they had weapons and stuff like that too... so i dont know if it was 100% legit. royler tapped rickson too in that demonstration i believe.

they demonstrated self defense techniques first, then went one for one showing grappling techniques, and then they sparred light and royler did not tap rickson durring the sparring portion, rickson tapped him twice and nicely....

Back