Rickson supports Jiu Jitsu in the Olympics

Are we still talking about BJJ?

I'm talking sports in general. Brazil and the US's dominance in BJJ is entirely dependent on it being a largely recreational sport, without dedicated sport preparation facilities, screening for talented athletes, teams of coaches studying tape nonstop, and exclusively elite athlete training camps being the norm. The second that Cuba, Russia, China and the former bloc countries want gold, they will develop real long-term prospects, selecting people who have the best attributes, and slowly drilling the shit out of high-percentage competition gameplans, exclusively training with other elite athletes on the way. Informal club systems just aren't as effective. For illustration, look at the number of medals tiny-ass Cuba has, vs what Brazil has, and keep in mind that Brazil has an UTTERLY SUPERIOR pool of athletes to draw from in terms of genetics.

If you think the IBJJF is a cancer to the sport wait until you see the IOC

Competitive BJJ is in a worse position than both Judo and Freestyle, maybe its on tie with greco.

90% of first place winners are Brazilians, 5% are americans, and 5% are the rest of the world if BJJ is an Olympic sport

By the time a sport is accepted to the time the competition happens

over 60% of winners are from caucasus region 20% brazilians and 20% everything else.

Dont understimate the capabilities of other countries to adopt a sport, judo was dominated entirely by japanese once, and judo was much of a bigger sport in japan back then than BJJ is now in Brazil.

Not to mention failing random drug tests.

Are we still talking about BJJ?

I have many Brazilian friends and I have never heard of someone been on a judo scholarship. I'm guessing that would be the case with BJJ too.
On the other hand, in many ex-Soviet countries, parents are approached by scouts at local events, asking if they would consider letting a talented kid to go to a sport school, then national sport academy on a full judo/ wrestling/ boxing/ weightlifting and many other sports scholarship.
There they constantly compete against each other, to produce the A, B and C Olympic national teams, under government microscope and supervision of elite coaches, medics and nutritionists.
You cannot compare the level of athleticism of those kids with any of the current top BJJ athletes not only in Brazil, but in the entire world.

Back