Rickson supports Jiu Jitsu in the Olympics

lechien

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I found it interesting that Rickson put a picture to support it on his facebook.

I wonder how some people would react to that information.

Especially the guys that keep saying that they prefer Rickson JJ and do not like the iBJJF rules and the new sport BJJ.

Edit: I cannot guarantee that it is his official page.

https://www.facebook.com/ricksong?fref=photo

Last edited:
I really don't care, it's a stupid sentiment. We would be better off trying to add a newaza division to Judo.

I really don't care, it's a stupid sentiment. We would be better off trying to add a newaza division to Judo.

Right! Either give Judo competitors more time on the ground for more balance or create two divisions; one for stand up and one for ground fighting! BJJ is just a school of judo anyway

would be good for brazil in the olympics, they would win 90%+ of the medals.

prob a good reason it shouldnt be in the olympics.

If you think the IBJJF is a cancer to the sport wait until you see the IOC

If you think the IBJJF is a cancer to the sport wait until you see the IOC

This is my thoughts exactly.

Keep BJJ the hell out of the Olympics please.

90% of first place winners are Brazilians, 5% are americans, and 5% are the rest of the world if BJJ is an Olympic sport

5 minute matches of 90% stalling. Sounds exciting.

would be good for brazil in the olympics, they would win 90%+ of the medals.

prob a good reason it shouldnt be in the olympics.

Yeah, they want international sports. Preferably ones the sponsors want...

I think it's possible to enter as judo with extended ground game, but not possible as independent sport.
And I really don't think Brazil would end up getting all the medals.
Just give it one Olympic cycle before judo camps around the world come with different winning strategies.

90% of first place winners are Brazilians, 5% are americans, and 5% are the rest of the world if BJJ is an Olympic sport

For like, one quad, maybe. Within 8 years of Russia making it a state-sponsored sport, they start medaling in every division.

I think it's possible to enter as judo with extended ground game, but not possible as independent sport.
And I really don't think Brazil would end up getting all the medals.
Just give it one Olympic cycle before judo camps around the world come with different winning strategies.

Yep. It's got the same problems becoming an olympic sport as SAMBO.

Hell, if the Chinese cared, they could probably field at least 5 heavyweights who can beat Gabi Garcia RIGHT NOW

"oh gosh, i don't know what i'd do with piles and piles of money," said nobody, ever.

I found it interesting that Rickson put a picture to support it on his facebook.

I wonder how some people would react to that information.

Especially the guys that keep saying that they prefer Rickson JJ and do not like the iBJJF rules and the new sport BJJ.

Edit: I cannot guarantee that it is his official page.

https://www.facebook.com/ricksong?fref=photo

I don't think it's his official page at all.

i dont think rickson runs that page

edit: wizard^

For like, one quad, maybe. Within 8 years of Russia making it a state-sponsored sport, they start medaling in every division.

And you think Brazil is not going to make BRAZILIAN jiujitsu a state sponsored sport when BJJ becomes an Olympic sport?

Yep. It's got the same problems becoming an olympic sport as SAMBO.

Hell, if the Chinese cared, they could probably field at least 5 heavyweights who can beat Gabi Garcia RIGHT NOW

Actually, no!
Sambo has always been on the wrestling side (it is considered a type of wrestling, it has been and it will be again recognized and included by FILA as jacket wrestling, it has similar uniform, colors, mat, scoring system) and is already recognized as Olympic event by IOC, waiting in line for official inclusion.
It would be really hard though, to explain the difference between judo and BJJ to regular people and quite uneasy on the eyes for non- grappling connoisseurs.

Absolutely yes, on the second part!
I would add- in order to produce Olympic caliber athletes, one have to start with producing a brand new generation of athletes, most probably for the time of two Olympic cycles.
And while we can see increasing tendency in the judo newaza internationally, I don't think that any of the current BJJ top competitors could be a problem for Olympic level athletes under rule set of judo with extended ground game, breaks and restarts for stalling.

Last edited:
And you think Brazil is not going to make BRAZILIAN jiujitsu a state sponsored sport when BJJ becomes an Olympic sport?

First, let me say it again- I don't think BJJ will ever become Olympic sport, so that's a long shot for been state sponsored as a separated sport.
BJJ could enter in extended judo rule set.
That means though, that it will be judo, not BJJ.
And as judo, there is no way an ippon to be scored as 2 points and osaekomi to be removed. Could you imagine playing BJJ with game ending pins, no points for back taking or pass guard, game ending ippons, big scores for throws and no leg grabs?
There are bunch of Olympic teams already training under those rules.

Brazil's support system for it's olympic sports doesn't compare to Europe and the former Soviet states. They simply don't have the same infrastructure and feeder system.

Back