Rick Story helping GSP prepare for Hendricks at Tristar

sounds like a cheap way to train for the fight. Getting insider info from a guy you never trained with before seems very desperate. That's like Weidman bringing in Ryo Chonnan to his camp to prepare for Anderson. its ridiculous and desperate.

BJ brings in Aldo to prepare for Frankie, a guy whom has faught Frankie before, while never having trained with Aldo.

Go double standard your way out of this one, smart guy.

I don't think bjpenngoat is gonna be coming back to this thread...

If he has half a brain he wont. Just digging himself into a deeper and deeper hole with every post.

Georges is the most comprehensively prepared athlete in the sport.

It's a combination of having all the right people around you making decisions and the finances to put it together - not to mention the obvious dedication to his craft. I don't think anyone has that level of 360 planning that Georges does.

I don't see how you knock his training decisions considering it's yielded a ridiculously long winning streak.

Maia squeezed the remainder through his nose.
I know he has the W over Johnny but I'm not sure what he has to teach him.
He's a southpaw wrestler with good power so there are some similarities.
Story is actually a high level fighter. He is aggressive, strong, athletic, great MMA wrestling, hits hard and has an iron jaw. He has just had some bad luck recently.

I agree. I'm actually a big fan and I honestly thought he could go somewhere in the division. I have less faith in him now as a title contender but I still root for the guy and I'd love to see him make a comeback. The qualities you listed make me believe he can. Btw is there any news about his next fight?

That Brenneman fight was TERRBLE and for sure the low point of his career. I should point out that Brenneman took the fight on short notice (<1 week IIRC), which did mean Story had little time to prepare for a wrestler. I forget who he was going to fight but I think it was like Jon Howard or some striker. Not a great excuse for a terrible performance but still. Story's a lot better than he looked in that fight. Brenneman is a hell of a wrestler even if he is really one-dimensional.

I believe the original fight was Mardquardt vs Rumble. Rumble pulled out of the fight fairly close to the event and Story took his place because he had recently beat Alves and was in decent shape. Then Marquardt had to pull out because of his TRT debacle and we got stuck with a completely different fight on 2 days notice. Not sure if Brenneman had a fight on the card and was bumped up but I'm pretty sure Story did not have a full training camp. He should stop taking short notice fights, its clearly not working for him.

Its smart training thats what it is....I dont know what kind of world you live in

The kind of world where everything revolved around bashing GSP on any occasion possible . If you check the word pathetic in a dictionary , you have his picture beside it .

I believe the original fight was Mardquardt vs Rumble. Rumble pulled out of the fight fairly close to the event and Story took his place because he had recently beat Alves and was in decent shape. Then Marquardt had to pull out because of his TRT debacle and we got stuck with a completely different fight on 2 days notice. Not sure if Brenneman had a fight on the card and was bumped up but I'm pretty sure Story did not have a full training camp. He should stop taking short notice fights, its clearly not working for him.

Brenneman was going to fight TJ Grant, but Grant pulled out not too long before the fight and they had Brenneman stick around just in case something like the Marquardt situation occurred.

And to your question, he's fighting Brian Ebersole next month on the GSP vs. Hendricks card.

I don't see how it can be a hindrance. They already have GSP and McDonald on the card, they will only benefit from training altogether. I think I remember hearing that Rashad Evans was in the NY/NJ area, sure he went up to Montreal for a few days to get in some training as well...iron sharpens iron.

Brenneman was going to fight TJ Grant, but Grant pulled out not too long before the fight and they had Brenneman stick around just in case something like the Marquardt situation occurred.

And to your question, he's fighting Brian Ebersole next month on the GSP vs. Hendricks card.

I see, thanks. I'm guessing Brenneman was more prepared for the fight than Story. I haven't seen the fight myself but from what I've heard it was a one sided grapplefuck by Brenneman. Either way that's in the past and I hope Story can get back on track against Ebersole

I see, thanks. I'm guessing Brenneman was more prepared for the fight than Story. I haven't seen the fight myself but from what I've heard it was a one sided grapplefuck by Brenneman. Either way that's in the past and I hope Story can get back on track against Ebersole

Brenneman basically had nothing to lose. It was an ugly fight to watch, and particularly frustrating for a Story fan. Brenneman had a nice first round, keeping Story from cornering him against the cage and ripping him with combinations, and scored a nice takedown off a punch into a trip and he kept Story down for the rest of the round. The second and third rounds basically consisted of Brenneman stifling Story on the ground with little ground and pound, including just one strike in the third round. Story went for a couple desperation submissions in the final round but never got anything close to locked up.

The last two rounds made Story vs. Alves look like a barnburner, and everyone was shitting on Story for not standing in the pocket with Alves for three rounds, so Brenneman was treated like a god for putting on an even more boring performance.

Brenneman basically had nothing to lose. It was an ugly fight to watch, and particularly frustrating for a Story fan. Brenneman had a nice first round, keeping Story from cornering him against the cage and ripping him with combinations, and scored a nice takedown off a punch into a trip and he kept Story down for the rest of the round. The second and third rounds basically consisted of Brenneman stifling Story on the ground with little ground and pound, including just one strike in the third round. Story went for a couple desperation submissions in the final round but never got anything close to locked up.

The last two rounds made Story vs. Alves look like a barnburner, and everyone was shitting on Story for not standing in the pocket with Alves for three rounds, so Brenneman was treated like a god for putting on an even more boring performance.

I see. I actually didn't think his fight against Alves was that bad, particularly the third round where he took more risks to try and finish. I was disappointed he didn't use more body shots like he had against Hendricks and like Fitch had successfully used against Alves in their second fight but Alves can be dangerous in the clinch as evidenced by his KO of Karo with a knee in the clinch iirc.

As for Brenneman, I think we should all be grateful he got dismantled by Rumble right after such a seemingly boring performance so he never went anywhere in the division.

sounds like a cheap way to train for the fight. Getting insider info from a guy you never trained with before seems very desperate. That's like Weidman bringing in Ryo Chonnan to his camp to prepare for Anderson. its ridiculous and desperate.

Wow.

So have you already drafted your excuse thread for when GSP wins ?

Hendricks improved a good bit since then. Can't hurt but I'm not sure how much it will help.

At first I thought this sounded ridiculous. Then I noticed the SN.

Nevermind.

http://www.bjpenn.com/rick-story-helping-gsp-prep-for-showdown-with-hendricks/

&#8220;It&#8217;s a plus for me,&#8221; St-Pierre told the French-Canadian media. &#8220;He&#8217;s a guy with a similar style to Johny Hendricks. He&#8217;s also the last person to beat him. He won by decision. It was a close fight. But he won. He has even trained with him. He can give me some tricks, tell me how he is.&#8221;

This is a very good decision by Firas Zahabi IMO. Also it seems like Story is joining Tristar now?

As a Story fan I am glad he is now training at Tristar. He is going to learn alot and make him a better fighter

Back