Rich kid with tude murders his Papa over allowance in NYC

And hell go to jail and well pay for his education till he gets out

This will be him, after his prison makeover:

2422931200000578-2878560-image-a-87_1418885237541.jpg

Is that Kim Kardashian? ^^

A lot of posters in here, including you, Sohei, might try reading the article. I'm guessing it was the $37k/yr apartment that his parents were paying to rent that had his entitlement jimmies in full rustle, not the $200 (originally reported $100) cut in allowance per week. BTW, $200/wk works out to $9,600 a year. That might not be much in NYC, but in places like my hometown that's about 1/3 the median salary. It's nothing to sneeze at. Poor people commit atrocities against each other for far less all the time.

This kid was getting subsidized to the toon of $56k/yr by his parents not counting whatever else they bought for him or spent on him: just what is reported here. I have a suspicion that he probably didn't own a vehicle, but had one all to himself; that he didn't pay to gas this vehicle, or for its insurance; probably an unlimited metro card, too; that his parents probably sporadically bought him clothes & furnishings amounting to thousands of dollars each year, replaced or fixed appliances, his medical bills, etc. I'm willing to bet that his "allowance" went almost purely towards food, alcohol/marijuana, hair cuts, additional clothes & amenities, and sundry other purely elective expenses of entertainment and luxury. I'm betting that the total sum they spent on him was probably closer to $100k-$150k/yr. He's living on that without an ounce of work. He doesn't even have to show up to a government office and stand in line.

It sounds to me like he turned 30 and his parents probably deliberated and fought over how to proceed, but ultimately decided that they needed to effectively cut him off from this lavish lifestyle in order for spur him to take responsibility for himself. It appears that he was unable to handle this, and took it out on the very people who loved him the most and contributed the most to his life.

I suspect that there will be an independent film about this waste of space in the near future. All I can say is that if I was a security guard wherever he is imprisoned, and I saw him getting gang-raped in a shower, I'd grab a coffee and go read the paper.

Sounds like you are writing the script for the movie.

You want to give your kids everything you can but making them dependent idiots in an unintended consequence.

A lot of posters in here, including you, Sohei, might try reading the article. I'm guessing it was the $37k/yr apartment that his parents were paying to rent that had his entitlement jimmies in full rustle, not the $200 (originally reported $100) cut in allowance per week.

EDIT: It looks like it was an allowance cut and a threat to stop paying rent.

http://gothamist.com/2015/01/05/son_killed_hedge_fund_dad_over_100-.php

The son of a hedge fund founder remains in custody for his father's death, and now it appears that a motive is emerging: Apparently Thomas GIlbert Sr. had cut son Tommy's allowance by $100 or $200—and was also threatening to stop paying rent on his Chelsea apartment.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people say that.

Because most criminals are poor.

In poor neighborhoods is alot of crime.

Yeah, but poverty-created crime is easy to understand and extremely easy to pinpoint.

The crimes and pathologies of the rich are much more obscure. They got the resources to keep these thing hidden.

EDIT: It looks like it was an allowance cut and a threat to stop paying rent.
Yeah, Hog, duh, both of these were cited in the original article. I was getting a little fed up with all the posters who clearly weren't reading the article and kept saying it was about the $200 allowance cut ($9,600/yr) when the apt. they were renting was worth far more ($37,200/yr). I see your link reports the $100/wk figure instead of $200/wk. I assumed the latter because the link that reported that in the OP reported the actual allowance figures ($600/wk to $400/wk).

Ultimately it shouldn't matter how much it was. It shouldn't have mattered if it was millions a year. You don't kill you parents over money, especially when they were the ones giving it to you, ffs.
Sounds like you are writing the script for the movie.
Indeed. Undoubtedly I speculate, but I least I took the time to launch from the article before flying off on a rant. I don't understand all these assignments of motive beyond what was reported. He was cut off, he lost it, that's it. I don't see the basis for any of the wealth hatred in here beyond what is endemic to his entitlement complex. Madsquabble actually implied that his father probably played a role in this, smh: that he was some sort of monster and that the son was an apple who didn't fall far from the tree.

Back