Rich franklin circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Powell Jr

yeah i know, old video. But what do you guys think of this type of training in terms of conditioning as well as strength for an MMA fighter, does the coach seem like he knows what he's doing? IMO he comes off like one of those personal trainers you hire at hour fitness or gold's gym...he obviously isn't one of course since he's trained other athletes...

He sure is using alot of machine movements and little weight....i think he'd be better off doing a circuit with some burpees, pullups, pushups, sprints, agility drills, along with bag/pad/grappling/takedown rounds etc. But what do i know? lol.

More info on his program:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/more-rich-franklins-strength-conditioning-training-448119/

Then again maybe i'm just jealous that i don't have the access to all those machines or the patience to wait on some gym rats while i'm trying to do my circuit.

I think the most annoying people in the gym are the ones who do machine circuits lol....it's like "way to hog everything, buddy"

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen it before. Usual circuit crap with no ryme nor reason. After this Rich went to train with EZA. Get his book, you`ll learn more about training than from any UFC video you`ll ever watch.

Seems very orientated around machines which are not very supported here. I mean its impressive, but give him a barbell and get him to rotate through more full bodied stuff and he would never make it through I mean each muscle as he mu\oves through gets rested. If it was full bodied like a squat then a deadlift, then a press ,then floor wipers, then cleans, then jerks, then snatches. He would be dead before he was able to do the same rounds with those exercises. I mean it's impressive his endurance and strength, but I've seen better.

Seems very orientated around machines which are not very supported here. I mean its impressive, but give him a barbell and get him to rotate through more full bodied stuff and he would never make it through I mean each muscle as he mu\oves through gets rested. If it was full bodied like a squat then a deadlift, then a press ,then floor wipers, then cleans, then jerks, then snatches. He would be dead before he was able to do the same rounds with those exercises. I mean it's impressive his endurance and strength, but I've seen better.

That's the point when you use machine circuit's, it let's certain muscles get a brief rest when you aren't directly working them like you would with squats or deads.

Letting those muscles get a rest is extremely important to avoid injury. To the point that it would be considered pretty crazy to try a 45 min - 1 hour, non stop circuit on freeweights. You are right, most people would be dead if they tried it :p

All in all though the kind of training you do is pretty much based on the kind of athelete you are, and the kind of athelete you are aiming to be. For Rich its obvious he values endurance above everything else, he want's to be able to go the distance. Other fighters might train using free weights with explosive actions to promote speed, whilst others are your basic strength guys who want to be as strong as thier frames will possibly let them. This means they are always doing thier squats and deads, trying to work as many muscles as they possibly can in each excersise.

Alot of guys prefer the middle ground as well, training with a mixture of things to keep themselves well rounded. But the A+ fighters don't use 'routines' that you can pick up from a book or a video like this, they spent alot of time drawing from thier years of experience, and the years of experience thier coaches have - into designing thier own, very personal workout to achieve the kind of goals they want; that are helped by thier own personal strengths/weaknesses.

OFC, for us simple people, pre-desinged routines are fantastic becuase we don't have the experience these guys have, or the coaching staff to guide us.

That circuit sucks.

All those machines are fucking useless. Okay not totally useless, but kettlebells, bodyweight, barbells, dumbbells, ropes, tires, sledges etc are the way to go.

very little mobility.

maybe that's why Rich's reflexes and movements looked so sluggish around his title reign.

Just to be clear, this is a very particular workout he did at a very particular stage in his pre-fight camp. It's done for a variety of reasons. Rofl.

Fucking sherdog brainwashed noobs probably want to suggest Rich does Starting Strength.

ps: and there is always the chance it was just done for the cameras and that the trainers etc don't want to publish their real intellectual property on tv/across the net. That said, I doubt anyone on this forum could do that workout with the same poundages. Lol.

kettlebells, bodyweight, barbells, dumbbells, ropes, tires, sledges etc are the way to go.
nah rich has never touched the stuff in his life

Just to be clear, this is a very particular workout he did at a very particular stage in his pre-fight camp. It's done for a variety of reasons. Rofl.

Fucking sherdog brainwashed noobs probably want to suggest Rich does Starting Strength.

So, with your wealth of knowledge, can you explain why a marathon of exercise machines (and I guess there were some curls too) will help someone become a stronger or better conditioned fighter?

So, with your wealth of knowledge, can you explain why a marathon of exercise machines (and I guess there were some curls too) will help someone become a stronger or better conditioned fighter?
I don't profess to have a wealth of knowledge.

But when people criticise the stuff professionals do they should make a little qualification in parentheses.

e.g. "X is shit (well it would for me if I did it in my context)"

I don't profess to have a wealth of knowledge.

But when people criticise the stuff professionals do they should make a little qualification in parentheses.

e.g. "X is shit (well it would for me if I did it in my context)"

Well since it's not any kind of skill or technique training, and isn't a sport specific drill is safe to assume that the context is developing conditioning and/or strength/power to supplement sports specific training.

Now it clearly isn't a good way to develop strength...I shouldn't have to explain why.

Conditioning circuits, which is what this is, are a good tool for developing conditioning for fighters...but that said, the name of the game is specificity. Ie. if someones going to be doing 5 5 minute rounds, is an hour long conditioning circuit really applicable? And not to describe every exercise used, but bicep curls, and a thigh abductor machine?

Just listen to the coach describe his philosphy, something along the lines of "If he fights 5, 5 minute rounds, my philosphy is we'll go 10, 5 minute rounds or 10, 10 minute round so that he never gets tired"...So if someones going to fight for a total of 25 minutes, they should train for a fight that's 2-4 times longer? That's like saying someone who competes at running 1500m should spend his time training 5km runs.

This circuit more closely resembles a workout from Curves than anything you'd see from an intelligent trainer.

ps: and there is always the chance it was just done for the cameras and that the trainers etc don't want to publish their real intellectual property on tv/across the net. That said, I doubt anyone on this forum could do that workout with the same poundages. Lol.

You have to make up your mind. Are we all impertinent noobs who shouldn`t crticize they guy`s job or is this a shit workout done for the cameras for the purpose of impressing noobs - which obviously failed?

Well since it's not any kind of skill or technique training, and isn't a sport specific drill is safe to assume that the context is developing conditioning and/or strength/power to supplement sports specific training.

Now it clearly isn't a good way to develop strength...I shouldn't have to explain why.

Conditioning circuits, which is what this is, are a good tool for developing conditioning for fighters...but that said, the name of the game is specificity. Ie. if someones going to be doing 5 5 minute rounds, is an hour long conditioning circuit really applicable? And not to describe every exercise used, but bicep curls, and a thigh abductor machine?

Just listen to the coach describe his philosphy, something along the lines of "If he fights 5, 5 minute rounds, my philosphy is we'll go 10, 5 minute rounds or 10, 10 minute round so that he never gets tired"...So if someones going to fight for a total of 25 minutes, they should train for a fight that's 2-4 times longer? That's like saying someone who competes at running 1500m should spend his time training 5km runs.

This circuit more closely resembles a workout from Curves than anything you'd see from an intelligent trainer.
All fighters shorten their workouts as they get closer to a fight. Maybe this was just some BS they were trying from far out to increase his base level endurance before making it more applicable to the fight game by shortening it and making it more intense.

Perhaps quite similar to the way fighters change their strength routines. First building up a solid level of base strength before making it applicable.

We'll never know.

You have to make up your mind. Are we all impertinent noobs who shouldn`t crticize they guy`s job or is this a shit workout done for the cameras for the purpose of impressing noobs - which obviously failed?
I don't really have to make my mind up. That's the point. We don't have all the facts. That circuit in and of itself is likely complete BS. I am unable to make my mind up in an absolute sense. It may have some worth based on information we don't know (scientific/contextual, e.g., franklin-esque, injuries yada yada) or if it might just be for the cameras yada yada

He's certainly not doing this w.o for max strength. lol.

All fighters shorten their workouts as they get closer to a fight. Maybe this was just some BS they were trying from far out to increase his base level endurance before making it more applicable to the fight game by shortening it and making it more intense.

Yes, because it makes total sense that someone would develop a base of aerobic and/or muscular endurance with bicep curls, a thigh abduction machine, shoulder presses with a 2 inch ROM, hamstring curls, leg extensions....

...I mean, it's possible that there's some kind of top secret rhyme and reason to this, or it's possible that it's staged just for the cameras. But I think it's far more likely that it's exactly as paolo said in his first post in this thread.

So we can all safely ignore this video, free from any worries that anybody might be able to learn anything from this video...

I don't really have to make my mind up. That's the point. We don't have all the facts. That circuit in and of itself is likely complete BS. I am unable to make my mind up in an absolute sense. It may have some worth based on information we don't know (scientific/contextual, e.g., franklin-esque, injuries yada yada) or if it might just be for the cameras yada yada

He's certainly not doing this w.o for max strength. lol.

If that`s your opinion so why do you complain about sherdog noobs dissing it? Also, who said Rich should do SS? He trains with EZA now, I bet his workouts are much much better.

If that`s your opinion so why do you complain about sherdog noobs dissing it? Also, who said Rich should do SS? He trains with EZA now, I bet his workouts are much much better.
re-read

It's just a cynical comment.

The training should reflect the training goals. In this case it does not. Sean Sherk's endurance circuit owns this one. That had complex full body movements and everything was broken down in time periods that actually made sense for an MMA fighter. I believe Wandy had a pretty good circuit too, but haven't seen that video in a while

P.S. I am in no way advocating anyone copying the circuits they see a fighter doing. They are made specifically for that fighter at that time in his training camp pre fight.

I think training like this is a total metaphor for their camp...work hard.work dumb. Gurgel does it, Franklin does it and now Hazlett is doing it. And yes this is way old and I am sure his S & C program, like all mma fighters, has gotten alot more sophisticated. If not, I understand now why he has dropped off so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back