Ricco Rodriguez Gets Pissed! vs Sean Spangler

This isn't a legitimate excuse for being a poor sport/d-bag.

No its not. Wasn't making an excuse for him. I've only rolled with him a couple of times and quite frankliy he not the most personable guy I've ever met.

This was within the last year. And man he still is hating on Marcelo. He wasn't down playing that he got beat by the better fighter. But man when he talks about it you can tell it still pisses him off.

Defintely not a good loser.

I swear Ricco Rodriguez is his own worst enemy.

I decided I didn't like Ricco when he laughed about crashing his car drunk and/or coked out of his mind, and he got out of the car, took his unconscious wife out of the passenger seat, put her in the driver seat, and told the cops and her that she was the one that fell asleep/crashed the car. She was wasted too if I remember right and she caught a DUI for it. He was literally laughing about in in rehab on family day with his wife sitting next to him.

I've hit bottom and been on the road to recovery myself, and I can't judge cause I've done some shitty things, but you have to be a real low-life to laugh about something like that after you get sober and to not feel any regret over it.

I gotta be careful not to fighter bash though, so I'll lay off.

But it's stuff like this, and trying to kill Marcelo, that make him not even enjoyable to watch as a competitor in any sport. Spangler did everything right. He's really good, really technical, cool, and a tough ass bastard. Props!

P.S. I don't think he was mad at Spangler. I think he was mad at himself. Either way, he acted without class, in yelling the f-word, pushing Sean off the mat, and double kicking him before walking off to have his temper tantrum.

Ricco definetly has problems with throwing tantrums when things arent going his way (like spitting on Rothwell). Its one thing to get frustrated but he needs to man up.

He spit on someone too? Wow.

I hope he is at least clean and sober these days. I wonder if he and his wife worked it out.

i only found out about sean like 3-4 months ago (glover's travels, if u haven't watched it you should). i respect the hell outta that guy

I had seen a couple of his matches before that, but I really remembered the name because at the first no-gi Worlds in 2007, Cobrinha subbed like everyone. He was hitting Triangles, RNC's, step-over Darce chokes, and then he went up against Sean Spangler and couldn't tap him. With how good Cobrinha looked that year (the first time I ever saw him do no-gi) I was sure he would tap everyone. Sean's defense was so good, and I remembered the name.

Then I saw him again on that Glover's Travels, and realized he's cool as hell. I definitely hope I can get that good by the time I'm his age. He's game man. Real game. Sean is one of my favorite guys to watch.

Considering that Spangler just about turned his back and ran off the mat I'm sure that would be a little frustrating.

Considering that Spangler just about turned his back and ran off the mat I'm sure that would be a little frustrating.

Yea, great excuse. After he took Ricco down, took his back, almost arm triangled him, and dominated him. Of course...... :icon_neut

Ricco got Spangged! I think RIcco was so pissed cause he like go to mission control and the Rubber guard didn't work- he better demand his money back from eddie - ASAP!

I decided I didn't like Ricco when he laughed about crashing his car drunk and/or coked out of his mind, and he got out of the car, took his unconscious wife out of the passenger seat, put her in the driver seat, and told the cops and her that she was the one that fell asleep/crashed the car. She was wasted too if I remember right and she caught a DUI for it. He was literally laughing about in in rehab on family day with his wife sitting next to him.

i also caught that episode, and thought it was pretty F'd up.

No its not. Wasn't making an excuse for him. I've only rolled with him a couple of times and quite frankliy he not the most personable guy I've ever met.

This was within the last year. And man he still is hating on Marcelo. He wasn't down playing that he got beat by the better fighter. But man when he talks about it you can tell it still pisses him off.

Defintely not a good loser.

He trained at my gym when he was preparing for a Pride fight about 8 years ago.

On Fridays we would go out to restaurants to have beers and relax. Ricco was being a wildman, "flirting" with literally every woman in his line of vision. I finally asked "how much has Ricco been drinking" my friend replies, "oh, he's just drinking water. He is in training." :icon_surp

Later on, I actually got to see a private grappling session with him and my instructor. My instructor, who isn't a gentle roll either, put him in a full armbar, and when Ricco went for the hitchhiker escape, my instructor cranked the hell out of him.

Ricco jumps up and yells "fuck" in the EXACT way he yelled in this youtube vid. He than punches a hole in the wall with the arm that just got tweaked and storms off. By than my instructor is standing with the "you wanna scrap, brah?" posture, but Ricco is long gone. My coach just looks at me with the "he should have tapped earlier" look and walks away.

That said, I don't dislike Ricco. He is a fun guy, and underrated (yeah, I said it) grappler, and he taught me a lot. Most people are boys with people who act like him. Whenever I tell stories about "naughty" black belts, he is one of the guys I am referring too.

He trained at my gym when he was preparing for a Pride fight about 8 years ago.

On Fridays we would go out to restaurants to have beers and relax. Ricco was being a wildman, "flirting" with literally every woman in his line of vision. I finally asked "how much has Ricco been drinking" my friend replies, "oh, he's just drinking water. He is in training." :icon_surp

Later on, I actually got to see a private grappling session with him and my instructor. My instructor, who isn't a gentle roll either, put him in a full armbar, and when Ricco went for the hitchhiker escape, my instructor cranked the hell out of him.

Ricco jumps up and yells "fuck" in the EXACT way he yelled in this youtube vid. He than punches a hole in the wall with the arm that just got tweaked and storms off. By than my instructor is standing with the "you wanna scrap, brah?" posture, but Ricco is long gone. My coach just looks at me with the "he should have tapped earlier" look and walks away.

That said, I don't dislike Ricco. He is a fun guy, and underrated (yeah, I said it) grappler, and he taught me a lot. Most people are boys with people who act like him. Whenever I tell stories about "naughty" black belts, he is one of the guys I am referring too.

I'm curious as to the backstory of the quote in your sig. Sounds hilarious.

Ricco has to live everyday knowing that in his prime Big Tim ko'd him. It's all downhill from there.

Back