1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Ricardo Lopez stance...

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Ogata, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Ogata Silver Belt

I have noticed that he has a distinct side stance. I love his style but for some reason trainers in My town say it's incorrect and squaring up is the right way becauseof balance.

But Ricardo Lopez is perfect. Flawless record but most importantly he never took damage in his career.

It seems like modern fighters are squaring up more and more. But is the side stance really wrong?

20200627_070019.jpg

2. toogreen Yellow Belt

there is no right and wrong in boxing

Ogata likes this.
  3. Mr2urbo Brown Belt

Its Nacho Beristain taught, Daniel Zaragoza and Juan Manuel Marquez had that similar stance

4. Ogata Silver Belt

I hear you and agree with you. But when I go to different gyms they keep saying that standing side way is wrong.

I have seen there different ways:

1. Squaring up which is great for head movment and infighting.

2. 45 degree angle stance which seems like a hybrid.

3. Side stance for lead hands and counter punching.

This is how American trainers teach but these knuckleheads in my town insist on squaring up at all times. If I go sideways they stop the sparring because they worry about me developing bad habits.

mozfonky likes this.
  5. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Square is a close-in Mexican style. It's good for super close up. It's very aggressive, good for cornering and trapping the other guy if you're tougher than him. It's also (not coincidentally) what brawlers use. No use for blading when you're up close because straight shots take more room to deploy. When the other guy is trapped you can unload on him with a never-ending barrage of short hooks and uppercuts which are hard for him to see or react to because they're way too close to avoid easily.

Bladed is the style you'll see most black guys do. It gives you longer reach AND it puts your head farther away at the same time. The other guy's face is closer to your hands and yours is farther from his, double advantage. Plus you get more time to react, triple advantage.
    It's also better for footwork. Because of the footwork and extra distance/reaction time, this makes it easier to read shots coming and counter a guy who's reach is restricted and comes aggressively at you..

From what I've seen in every single pro event where a square guy meets a bladed fella, the square one gets methodically jabbed into a sad meaty mess over the rounds and it's not even close at the end, if he even makes it that far (50/50 chance (T)KO/UD loss). All the best technicians today use bladed. Most of the best in previous decades used bladed.

ODH was one who made square work for him but his reflexes and power were unholy, there aren't any copies of him then or now. I think bladed would have worked better for him anyway because he didn't rely on smothering infighting.

Unless you have incredible power and toughness, I wouldn't use squared up style. It leaves your head wide open to jabs and straights and puts you closer to their weapons, while gifting the opposite (restricting your reach and quickness) for your opponent.

Bladed stance takes advantage of most of boxing's mechanical advantages while squared neutralizes most of your advantages in favor of a more one-dimensional bullying style.

----

You don't want to go sideways even though it seems like an ok idea. The other guy will end up behind you (or even just sideways to you) and you'll be eating hands while you can't see him or do anything about it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 12:04 PM
  6. aries Silver Belt

Use both. When you get close you can square up and when you are at range use bladed. Loads of top fighters do both.