Rib protector for bjj

brendon557

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok. So I used to take mma a couple years ago and when I did I rolled with a guy much bigger then me and hurt my ribs terribly. And for almost 2 months every time I tried rolling or moved my arm certain way (like putting my seat belt on) it would be hurting me so bad.

So today I started mma training again and less then an hour into it a guy got knee on belly on me but it was a lot of pressure on my left side and I heard a popping noise coming from my ribs and it hurt pretty bad for a few seconds. Now my ribs are sore but I am thinking I have a weak rib cage or something.

Does anybody know of any type of rib protector that I can use while grappling under my gi that wont get in my way or that is to thick? Something like these?

Body Protectors | Mixed Martial Arts Equipment & Apparel from Title Boxing

I was looking at those but those all look to thick and would probally get in the way when grappling. Im not worried about getting punched because I will just take it off when working stand up or in a match. But right now it just hurts so bad when I am on bottom and someones weight is on me.

Any one know?
Thanks

for the future, there is really nothing you can do to always protect your ribs. either a gnarly take down, massive knee on ribs, or you just "exploding" too much in an escape can cause rib damage. I popped one floater from a VERY large man falling straight onto me, and another from trying to hip bump sweep another very large man, with too much air in my lungs and just contracted so hard...

I wanted to train before I was fully healed, so I got a large ace bandage (the 6" width ones) and wrapped my ribs TIGHT. it helped. I mean I was so tender, it was excruciating to sneeze or even laugh...

You could also look at improving your diet and strength training to increase your bone density and prevent injuries

Ok. So I used to take mma a couple years ago and when I did I rolled with a guy much bigger then me and hurt my ribs terribly. And for almost 2 months every time I tried rolling or moved my arm certain way (like putting my seat belt on) it would be hurting me so bad.

So today I started mma training again and less then an hour into it a guy got knee on belly on me but it was a lot of pressure on my left side and I heard a popping noise coming from my ribs and it hurt pretty bad for a few seconds. Now my ribs are sore but I am thinking I have a weak rib cage or something.

Does anybody know of any type of rib protector that I can use while grappling under my gi that wont get in my way or that is to thick? Something like these?

Body Protectors | Mixed Martial Arts Equipment & Apparel from Title Boxing

I was looking at those but those all look to thick and would probally get in the way when grappling. Im not worried about getting punched because I will just take it off when working stand up or in a match. But right now it just hurts so bad when I am on bottom and someones weight is on me.

Any one know?
Thanks
i dont know why anyone is really answering you? Amazon has a listing of rib protectors. https://www.amazon.ca/Protector-Baseball-Paintball-Football-Protective/dp/B07R15XMKJ/ref=sr_1_25?crid=3VZYSG07HBH51&keywords=rib+protector+bjj+long+sleeve&qid=1665595341&sprefix=rib+protector+bjj+long+sleeve,aps,101&sr=8-25&th=1

I dont have a suggestion, unfortunately. Is it strikes that screw you or just general bjj movement/weight? Because from a physics perspective I can see a vest protecting you from impacts (strikes). But unless it has some kind of internal metal skeleton I'm not sure how much it'll protect against heavy dudes sitting on you.

Back