Rhomboid/Lat soreness from squats

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by PUO3, Aug 10, 2015.

1. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Bit of a run down, 29, been lifting regularly for several years now. Currently running Cube and have been for over a year.

Some days during squats the area where the rhomboid/lat connect tightens up pretty badly, not quite a cramp but irritating. Afterwards it feels like the muscle has been pulled. Have had it before but it was quite rare, and now it is becoming more common. The only change to my routine/form has been going barefoot and that as a whole feels much better. Dont see that could be the culprit anyway as I had experienced this (rarely) before while using my oly shoes.

Anyone had experience with this before or know of some further specific stretches/warm ups I could try to remedy it? Thanks in advance.

2. bad seed

bad seed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

thoracic extension on the foam roller.

I used to have issues in that spot whenever I slacked on getting SUPER TIGHT setting up the low bar.

3. btwrestler119

btwrestler119 Green Belt

^^^this

It sounds like since switching to barefoot, your upper back has to work a lot harder to stay upright. Which makes sense, a raised heel makes it much easier to keep an upright position while squatting.

4. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Thanks I will give that a try Wednesday if this is gone. Pretty bad today.