Rhadi Ferguson fighting MMA...

I would love to see that fight! Just to see what all the hype is about.

Goodness, it's about time. He's been talking about it for years and he's not getting any younger. Frankly I wish he had done it when he first talked about it, how old is he?

Either way he can do well. He's a beast, and a black belt in judo and bjj.

Goodness, it's about time. He's been talking about it for years and he's not getting any younger. Frankly I wish he had done it when he first talked about it, how old is he?

Either way he can do well. He's a beast, and a black belt in judo and bjj.

Yup, and he's a great guy if you ever get a chance to meet him.

But yeah, he's getting pretty old for this - as he himself admits. His reflexes have slowed, and he can't train like he could when he was younger. On the other hand, he is getting smarter ... and he's a Phd now as well, which probably puts him in a very select class of fighters (the Klitschko's are the only other fighter-Phd's I can think of).

Why aren't you a Rhadi fan? I know he turns off a lot of judokas.

Just not a fan of his style. He's certainly a wrecking ball and I don't doubt he'll crush some heads in MMA.

I like players, whether it's BJJ, Judo, or MMA, that have a wide arsenal to attack with...Everything I've seen with Rhadi is a power double leg (morote gari) that flings the guy in the air. Cool looking, but not my style.

(I ain't knocking the double leg)

Just not a fan of his style. He's certainly a wrecking ball and I don't doubt he'll crush some heads in MMA.

I like players, whether it's BJJ, Judo, or MMA, that have a wide arsenal to attack with...Everything I've seen with Rhadi is a power double leg (morote gari) that flings the guy in the air. Cool looking, but not my style.

Actually though morote gari is his specialty, he's still very good by most standards at just about every other throw as well. Maybe not Yoshida good, but better than say Karo, who was never able to pull off much of anything against high international level competition, let alone qualify for the Olympics like Rhadi did.

Exactly. He's got a good knowledge of Judo and as a coach, but if you watch him compete in Judo he's really just a wrestler in jacket. The guy can get away with it cuz he's super athletic.

Exactly. He's got a good knowledge of Judo and as a coach, but if you watch him compete in Judo he's really just a wrestler in jacket. The guy can get away with it cuz he's super athletic.

I'm worried I might open up a big can of worms, but isn't a lot of Judo just wrestling with a jacket? Minor adaptations to grips, but the throws/takedowns are largely the same. The only difference is that Judo has ground work (varying degrees depending on who you train with).

WRT Rhadi, he should have got into MMA years ago.

I'm worried I might open up a big can of worms, but isn't a lot of Judo just wrestling with a jacket? Minor adaptations to grips, but the throws/takedowns are largely the same. The only difference is that Judo has ground work (varying degrees depending on who you train with).

Can't the same be said for any grappling art?

I mean, I understand what you're saying. But.....

Actually though morote gari is his specialty, he's still very good by most standards at just about every other throw as well.

I have ZERO doubt in my mind that Rhadi is an AMAZING Judoka. And my knowledge of him is pretty limited to highlights I've seen and posts he's made on Judoforum.com

Very smart, talented guy....I just don't like his style.

That being said, if I was offered a chance to train with Rhadi I'd jump on the opportunity. He seems like a great strategist and follows the Judo game very carefully.

It basically it is, but the IJF and some Judo coahces/senseis' around the world try to deny Kano's roots in human submission-wrestling. I wont disprect the rules, the uniform(aka jacket) or the Japanese cultural aspects(which I compeltely love) but
I feel the recent rule changes to distance itself from wrestling or limit the use if techniques similar to freestyle/Greco/Folkstyle wrestling makes me throw up.
heck from uchimata to harai-goshi to ogosh is basically a variation of a hip toss.:icon_chee And morote-gair(double leg) & kataguruma(firemans carry) are all part of the Goykyo.

Flame me.:icon_twis

Is he still going to fight heavyweight? he is 5'7 and can't have much of a reach

should have done it years ago

Depends upon what you mean by wrestling. If you mean general grappling, then yes, definitely. If you mean wrestling as an organized sport with its own rules (ie freestyle, greco, folkstyle, Mongolian etc) then no, as judo has different rules then those do, and quite different scoring (the one throw finish for instance is just in judo and sambo).

Its really semantics, and usually people who argue on either side are just arguing at cross purposes about definitions. Not unlike arguments about whether wrestling or boxing are martial arts - depends upon definitions, and amusing at times but kind of a waste of time.

I will add that if getting judo into FILA means getting it out from under the control of the IJF then I'd be all for it - not that FILA is particularly good, they're just not (quite) as disastrous as the IJF.

Depends upon what you mean by wrestling. If you mean general grappling, then yes, definitely. If you mean wrestling as an organized sport with its own rules (ie freestyle, greco, folkstyle, Mongolian etc) then no, as judo has different rules then those do, and quite different scoring (the one throw finish for instance is just in judo and sambo).

Its really semantics, and usually people who argue on either side are just arguing at cross purposes about definitions. Not unlike arguments about whether wrestling or boxing are martial arts - depends upon definitions, and amusing at times but kind of a waste of time.

I will add that if getting judo into FILA means getting it out from under the control of the IJF then I'd be all for it - not that FILA is particularly good, they're just not (quite) as disastrous as the IJF.

My point was, kind of, that calling Rhadi a wrestler because he uses a technique that is found in both pure wrestling (Folk and FS) and Judo is silly because most throws are transferable, and by that by such a definition, every Judoka is a wrestler, and vice-versa.

as judo has different rules then those do, and quite different scoring (the one throw finish for instance is just in judo and sambo)

have you ever noticed how often times in the middle of executing a high amplitude throw that the guy throwing seems to be making adjustments mid throw? That's bc the point of a solid throw is not just points but a touch fall (ippon) that can end the match. Happens alot, just not as much as judo.

Back