Reyes/Weidman Predictions and Can grapplers survive at 205??

BRaVo cHoKe

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
In the recent year we've seen several middleweights move up to the light heavyweight : Thiago Santos, Anthony Smith, Sam Alvey, Luke Rockhold. The newest person to join the club will be Chris Weidman, as he steps up to challenge Dominick Reyes. My predictions for this fight are the same I correctly had for when Rockhold was making his LHW debut. I don't believe a guy who has had trouble avoiding the T/KO finish will magically be able to accomplish the task in a more hard-hitting division.

So I pose these two questions for you :
How do you think Weidman will fair at LHW?
Has any grappling based middleweight ever made a successful transition to light heavyweight? Dan Henderson was the closest I could think of, but his results were always a bit mixed.

Hopefully not. He keeps it standing a good bit to be considered grappler.

Just got to watching previous fights and seeing Paul Craig KTFO by Menifield after ground flopping was fantastic.

Has any grappling based middleweight ever made a successful transition to light heavyweight? Dan Henderson was the closest I could think of, but his results were always a bit mixed.
This is a really good question, we're going to bring it up on The Trenches tonight.

RDA and Dan Henderson had success a weight class up though not as much for RDA. Henderson actually was better at 205 than he was at 185.

In college... he wrestled at 197lbs... and he outwrestled Darth Bader and Mr. Wonderful...

The last time Weidman was able to implement his grappling long enough to get a decision or finish was vs a MW he dwarfed.

I don't see him having alot of success vs larger opponents at LHW in that regard.

Wiedman will have his way with reyes. Believe me. It will last 12 minutes then boom. The chris will be put to sleep in some kind of JUST BLEED GOD fashion and we will all be on reyes Dick hard

Reyes def isn't as good as i thought but he should still be able to handle undersized weidman. He's the bigger and more powerful wrestler with ko power, weidman's only ptv is to point fight at distance with his newfound boxing skills but he most likely gets caught

Any time there is a chance Weidman will get knocked the fuck out again will always peak my interest.

In the recent year we've seen several middleweights move up to the light heavyweight : Thiago Santos, Anthony Smith, Sam Alvey, Luke Rockhold. The newest person to join the club will be Chris Weidman, as he steps up to challenge Dominick Reyes. My predictions for this fight are the same I correctly had for when Rockhold was making his LHW debut. I don't believe a guy who has had trouble avoiding the T/KO finish will magically be able to accomplish the task in a more hard-hitting division.

So I pose these two questions for you :
How do you think Weidman will fair at LHW?
What do you consider successful??? No one is beating Jon Jones beside Adesanya.

Where does one draw the line for what constitutes a grappling based fighter? Weidman should probably depend more on his grappling seeing as his durability and timing seem to be faltering, but he is hardly a Maia or Askgren. Does Rumble count? He moved up in weight, has a wrestling background, and his defensive wrestling is an integral part of his style (e.g. the fight against Phil Davies).

I think Reyes will win a UD, he will just jab up weidman for 3rds.

People underlook that weidman was competitive in every L and lost those fights because he gassed . Him going up should be much better .

Where does one draw the line for what constitutes a grappling based fighter? Weidman should probably depend more on his grappling seeing as his durability and timing seem to be faltering, but he is hardly a Maia or Askgren. Does Rumble count? He moved up in weight, has a wrestling background, and his defensive wrestling is an integral part of his style (e.g. the fight against Phil Davies).
weidman is better everywhere besides BJJ than Maia . He made Maia look like a fool on the ground after cutting 30 lbs in 14 days .

Reyes better catch him quick, because his grappling and anti wrestling look quite poor. If Weidman can get an early td he might have a chance at decision or late sub.

Back