Reyes Plans to Warn Ref About Jones

Was there ever a fight when the ref should have deducted a point from Jones for eye poking?

• Total voters
Jones is a cheater.

He will cheat.

Just bite his nose off right off the bat - at the first opportunity to clinch.

Should just be a warning, right?

Tony Ferguson is the type of guy to give the ref a warning

Screen-Shot-2018-03-22-at-7.06.06-AM-613x765.png

Against Glover, Jones repeatedly had his fingers extended stopping Glover getting in close to work.

Not the first tine either, but this is less about Jones and more about refs not following the rules.

There all doing eye pokes. Just let them eye poke.

I think st preux had the right idea.. just smack his extended fingers.. or if badass use one of the scrambles to break one of..

Reyes shouldn't waste his breath. Refs are dogshit. They'll look for any excuse to ignore a foul. They want to do as little work as necessary

2nd eye poke should always be a point deduction at the bare minimum.
First eye poke should be a point deduction.

For someone like Jones, it's not an accident, it's a technique he uses every fight that results in multiple pokes per fight.

Don't extend your fingers, keep a closed fist. If you're going to grab at someone, grab at the body instead of the head.

If you're using your hand to judge the range, use a jab to do so instead of fingers out. Stop trying to post your hand on their head.

I'm tired of fighters getting freebies, especially Jones who gets them every match. Spineless refs need to start making the punishment mean something so this shit stops.

Whoever the referee is they've seen plenty of Jon Jones fights, probably more than Reyes has, so they know what he does in the cage.
I think if I was a referee and a fighter told me what to look out for that they think their opponent does I'd be more lenient and let a few things go. I'm the referee, I don't need a fighter telling me how to do my job.
So if you're letting Jones get away with it, you don't think you're doing a shitty job?

Sounds like you'd make an absolute shit ref, expecially if you're going to allow someone to be fouled even more for simply telling you to be aware of someone who is a habitual cheater.

Lots of these refs obviously need someone bitching at them considering they let fouls happen like crazy with zero consequences. Jones does it almost every fight. It's not an accident, it's a common occurrence. Jones needs to be forced to correct it.

Reyes doesn't want to get fouled and he's telling you to do your job as a ref and protect him from it. It's because he knows all the other refs let Jones get away with it, even though they know he's going to do it.

Lol it would be hilarious if someone elbows his extended fingers and breaks them

I think st preux had the right idea.. just smack his extended fingers.. or if badass use one of the scrambles to break one of..
I'd love to see fighters punch at Jones's extended fingers and break them.

I promise you he'd change that shit up quick and stop doing it if he knew people were going to do that to him.

Although, he'd probably cry about them doing like it's illegal, even though he's the one who shouldn't have his fingers extended out in the first place.

I'd love to see fighters punch at Jones's extended fingers and break them.

I promise you he'd change that shit up quick and stop doing it if he knew people were going to do that to him.

Although, he'd probably cry about them doing like it's illegal, even though he's the one who shouldn't have his fingers extended out in the first place.

Yeah.. just go the "oops" route and take a warning..

Does the ref live under a rock? Of course he knows about Jones prior history.

The thing is: All eyepokes SINCE DC 1 were UNINTENTIONAL. All the haters can do is put a picture from 1876 BC like that one from Rampage. Sad.

SHOOK. Reyes will be dismantled. Easily. Piece by piece.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR JON "GOAT" JONES!!

I strongly disagree with that notion, but it is irrelevant. Fighters are not supposed to even be allowed to put extended fingers towards their opponents face.

https://www.mmamania.com/2016/8/3/1...kes-and-grounded-fighters-take-effect-january

Extended fingers

In the standing position, a fighter that moves their arm(s) toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent's face/eyes, will be a foul. Referees are to prevent this dangerous behavior by communicating clearly to fighters. Fighters are directed to close their fists or point their fingers straight in the air when reaching toward their opponent.

If we really want to limit eye pokes, the refs need to be willing to give warnings and take points for the extended finger violations, which happen all the time.

I strongly disagree with that notion, but it is irrelevant. Fighters are not supposed to even be allowed to put extended fingers towards their opponents face.

https://www.mmamania.com/2016/8/3/1...kes-and-grounded-fighters-take-effect-january

If we really want to limit eye pokes, the refs need to be willing to give warnings and take points for the extended finger violations, which happen all the time.
But my man, we are talking about eyepokes. Yes, he extend his fingers all the time. If the JUDGES don't say anything, you are trying to blame Jones for that? At least all the eyepokes since DC 1 were unintentional and this is not even debatable. He didn't make any forced eye surgery like DC on both Stipe's fights. THAT was criminal, Jones never did anything close.

Last edited:
But my man, we are talking about eyepokes. Yes, he extend his fingers all the time. If the JUDGES don't say nothing, you are trying to blame Jones for that? At least all the eyepokes since DC 1 were unintentional and this is not even debatable. He didn't make any forced eye surgery like DC on both Stipe's fights. THAT was criminal, Jones never did anything close.

On that we agree. And I do blame the refs. If the refs called the fouls they should, before the eyepokes happened, fighters would engineer this habit away through repetition in training.

As stupid as it is, referees in any sport aren’t meant to take a fighters reputation into account when making a decision. Jones gets away with one or two every fight for this reason.
Clearly you haven't watched my beloved sport, hockey, turn into an absolute joke.

First response nailed it. Reyes maybe right but the refs job is to be unbiased.

Having said that they need to start taking points from ALL fighters not just Jones.
But they arent " unbiased" . Thats his point and by talking about it openly before maybe they wont favour Jones but I doubt it. He gets basically a carte blanche to gain big illegal Advantages with drugs and fight tactics.

As stupid as it is, referees in any sport aren’t meant to take a fighters reputation into account when making a decision. Jones gets away with one or two every fight for this reason.
Is that written somewhere? If someone is known for breaking the rules inside the octagon, I think a ref should be aware. Keep it objective, of course, but should still know about it. Things outside the octagon should have zero impact

Back